Oh my god why.......

In the real world
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Oh my god why.......

Post by Deepcrush »

Even a tire iron times several hundred people gives you a rather good advantage to a guy with a knife. Also its not about being a vigilante, its about mutual survival. You can't hope for others to save you if you're too much a coward to step up when they need help.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:During the butchering, sure. But whilst everyone was standing around waiting for the cops there was no butchering going on and no reason to kill them.
So then why didn't they do it while it was happening?
No idea. How long did it take? Was anybody else around? Did anybody even realise what was going on? Was anybody close enough?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

In an open street in daylight, so yes there were people around. If it takes longer then two seconds (which beheading by knife takes several minutes) then time isn't an issue. Seeing someone cutting someone's head off is a horrible and bloody action so its clear whats going on. As to being close enough, if your people can take a picture of the guy from a meter away then clearly they were close.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:In an open street in daylight, so yes there were people around. If it takes longer then two seconds (which beheading by knife takes several minutes) then time isn't an issue. Seeing someone cutting someone's head off is a horrible and bloody action so its clear whats going on.
And clear enough to trigger the natural human reaction of shock which I explained to you earlier.
As to being close enough, if your people can take a picture of the guy from a meter away then clearly they were close.
That soapbox routine occurred some time after the initial attack.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:And clear enough to trigger the natural human reaction of shock which I explained to you earlier.
I think you underestimate the natural gregariousness of our species and the spur into action - not inactivity - which this sort of thing can entail. People are moved all the time into instant and heretofore unseen acts of selfless and sometimes foolhardy action when the need to assist another person arises in an emergency situation - even a grisly one.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:People are moved all the time into instant and heretofore unseen acts of selfless and sometimes foolhardy action when the need to assist another person arises in an emergency situation - even a grisly one.
As I said above, those actions are overwhelming the exceptions that prove the rule. If they were the norm, decorations for gallantry wouldn't exist, because such actions would be considered to be the normal reaction to a given stimulus.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:In an open street in daylight, so yes there were people around.
You assume. It's an open street in daylight outside my house right now and there isn't a person in sight. If that attack happened right here and now it would be minutes for a crowd to gather.

You're inventing nonsense out of a non issue that you really know absolutely nothing about in order to justify what you want to believe. Which is pretty much your SOP for anything you talk about, so no surprise there.

Meantime in the real world a horrible crime happened and the authorities dealt with it quickly and efficiently, just as they are supposed to. Good for them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Gk, now you're just bullshitting for a lame excuse. If that's all you can do the. You're better off staying in your basement and with further comments as you've outlived your usefulness.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okay, I can see GK's point to a degree; if this happened on the street over from me in my neighborhood right now, there might not be anyone around to help. Also, admittedly, I don't know what a neighborhood street in the UK looks like.

However, from what the pictures and video show, and the fact that a city bus came by, I doubt it's a quiet neighborhood street. If they'd posted the location in any of the news, we could look it up on Google maps and put that argument to rest.

I think what Deep was saying (and I already said) is that from our perspective, it looks like a whole bunch of people just stood by and watched this man be murdered. I'd put good money down that it wouldn't have happened quite that way in Houston. I know I sure as hell couldn't just watch while a person was brutally attacked.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

So there is now a video going around our school of the attack (yay no cellphone rule :roll: ). Not sure if its actually related (or just a fake), haven't had the desire to watch it through before confiscating their phones.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Gk, now you're just bullshitting for a lame excuse. If that's all you can do the. You're better off staying in your basement and with further comments as you've outlived your usefulness.
Yeah, fortunately your estimation of my usefulness is about on a par with pretty much most of what you say; unimpressive hot air coming from a blowhard.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

How about we all just cool it here? This situation is fucking disturbing no matter what actually happened; I think I'd like to see a lot more information before I declare the general UK populace to be cowards, or start pulling out the tired basement trope, or declaring someone's opinion nonsense.

Why don't we all step the fuck back for a moment, yes?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Gk, now you're just bullshitting for a lame excuse. If that's all you can do the. You're better off staying in your basement and with further comments as you've outlived your usefulness.
Yeah, fortunately your estimation of my usefulness is about on a par with pretty much most of what you say; unimpressive hot air coming from a blowhard.
Yes, its my fault that you're ability to apply critical thinking is similar too a child and your moral center is about as stable as a prostitute. Absolutely... :roll:
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Was anybody else around?
Yes.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Did anybody even realise what was going on?
Supposedly not at first. I've heard that some witnesses thought the attackers, after hitting the man with their car rushed to give first aid.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Was anybody close enough?
Eventually, after they overcame their initial shock, some women ran up and protected the man's corpse from further mutilation.
Deepcrush wrote:Yes, its my fault that you're ability to apply critical thinking is similar too a child and your moral center is about as stable as a prostitute. Absolutely... :roll:
Just shut up already.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:Just shut up already.
No, someone talks shit and I'll gladly shove it right back in their faces every time. You should have learned this about me already.