Meteorite Hits Russia

In the real world
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Meteorite Hits Russia

Post by Tyyr »

You know, I'd like to think that people would have the common sense to say, "No, I will not allow you to monitor my driving 24/7" and do it in sufficent numbers that this gained no traction. The lure of saving money will grab them though and they'll watch their premiums shoot up as everyone is confronted with the fact that, no, you actually are a shitty driver. The number of people who see reductions in their premiums will be very, very small.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:You know, I'd like to think that people would have the common sense to say, "No, I will not allow you to monitor my driving 24/7" and do it in sufficent numbers that this gained no traction. The lure of saving money will grab them though and they'll watch their premiums shoot up as everyone is confronted with the fact that, no, you actually are a shitty driver. The number of people who see reductions in their premiums will be very, very small.
You're dead-on about the reaction. People in general will be indignant and outraged... until they get the bulk mailer that says, "You could save x by installing a dash cam!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I wonder how well such a concept would go over here, since people have won suits on dash cams being a violation of their consent prior to filming (a few cops have arrested folks for this too, not sure on the result though).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:You know, I'd like to think that people would have the common sense to say, "No, I will not allow you to monitor my driving 24/7" and do it in sufficent numbers that this gained no traction. The lure of saving money will grab them though and they'll watch their premiums shoot up as everyone is confronted with the fact that, no, you actually are a shitty driver. The number of people who see reductions in their premiums will be very, very small.
For once, I completely agree with you. Progressive insurance has a program to monitor people's acceleration, etc.; from what I've heard so far, their standards don't even cover standard driving - like if you do follow the rules, and drive well. The standards are set super high, so that no one gets a discount, and everyone pays more. A win for the insurance companies, for sure. Like they needed any more of an insane profit margin.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

stitch626 wrote:I wonder how well such a concept would go over here, since people have won suits on dash cams being a violation of their consent prior to filming (a few cops have arrested folks for this too, not sure on the result though).
I'm having a hard time seeing the issue. I'm big on the right to privacy and even I think that when you drive down a public road in a half glass box you don't have much expectation of privacy.
Tsukiyumi wrote:For once, I completely agree with you. Progressive insurance has a program to monitor people's acceleration, etc.; from what I've heard so far, their standards don't even cover standard driving - like if you do follow the rules, and drive well. The standards are set super high, so that no one gets a discount, and everyone pays more. A win for the insurance companies, for sure. Like they needed any more of an insane profit margin.
I'm surprised anyone buys into it for a second. No, strike that, I'm not. Everyone thinks they're a great driver so you dangle something like this in front of them and they'll snap at it. That's even before you realize after about five seconds or real thought that the insurance company is the one deciding who is a safe driver and its in their best interests to NOT classify you as one.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tyyr wrote:
stitch626 wrote:I wonder how well such a concept would go over here, since people have won suits on dash cams being a violation of their consent prior to filming (a few cops have arrested folks for this too, not sure on the result though).
I'm having a hard time seeing the issue. I'm big on the right to privacy and even I think that when you drive down a public road in a half glass box you don't have much expectation of privacy.
In some states it is illegal to film officers on the job.

As to the suits, it had nothing to do with privacy, but with the law that you cannot film a person for any reason without their prior consent (at least thats how it is up here).

It was pretty much folks suing because they can. Much like the hot coffee suit...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah that's kinda stupid. Given the ubiquity of camera and video recorders today there's no way you can actually enforce a law like that. You are recorded on a daily basis, multiple times, and probably without ever realizing it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah that's kinda stupid. Given the ubiquity of camera and video recorders today there's no way you can actually enforce a law like that. You are recorded on a daily basis, multiple times, and probably without ever realizing it.
Which law? The first one?

Sorry, Charlie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8Bv0wNgCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtJpL2ZdWVI

Apparently, they can now charge you with obstruction of justice for not turning over your footage.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939