This will piss Seafort off...

In the real world
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: This will piss Seafort off...

Post by Reliant121 »

Aaron wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:In pure naval terms I really don't see how the Argentinian forces are so able to best the RN down there. As far as I can find on the internet (limited source, I know) The Argentinians don't actually have a surface combatant that routinely makes its way round the Falklands while we recently parked our most modern warship out there; a warship that while not designed or itself equipped for Anti ship warfare is eminently armed with the facilities to engage and eliminate surface combatants (its Lynx compliment). As for the entire navies themselves, it becomes even more ludicrous to say that the Argentinians are able to do the damage you seem to suggest; We have a grand total of 18 surface combatants, all of which are able to be deployed and while not necessarily modern are reasonably advanced. Compare that to 4 Argentinian ships. Numbers alone seem to suggest we've got a bit of an upper hand.

Sure, the RN is nowhere near the international force of destruction it used to be but it is by no means irrelevant. Its just not quite as vast and all encompassing as the USN. Proportionally I think we do quite well, since the UK is smaller than a large majority of individual US states.
Simply stating that there are subs in the area should keep the Argies home.

As for the world power stuff, it's not that we've gotten weaker, we outgun our WWII navies easily, it's that US is in a class of it's own. None of the rest of us can or will afford anything similar and America has a different outlook on what it wants its military to do.
Very much acknowledged; my umbridge was more with Deep's apparent "benchmark" of the US navy which is a particularly unfair benchmark for the entirety of the rest of the world.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The US Navy is a waste.

Back in the day the theory of having a navy more powerful than the next two biggest navies combined was a good idea. So was the idea of Battleships. Those days have passed.

I dont care when people mock NZ for not having anything larger than a Frigate and no fighter craft. The days of us needing them are passed. Firstly we make a point of not pissing people off, and we focus our resource not on the USS Compensator but on a larger number of smaller craft and skill training.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

"Next two"? Hah. We've got a navy bigger than the next 17 combined.

Meanwhile, Americans die every day from preventable diseases because we "don't have the money" to provide health care for them. Right.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Next two was the mandate I had heard of. What they do in practice is a different story obviously.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Next two was the mandate I had heard of. What they do in practice is a different story obviously.
The Two (later One) Power Standard was the Royal Navy's principle - the US equivalent was Second to None.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Next two was the mandate I had heard of. What they do in practice is a different story obviously.
The Two (later One) Power Standard was the Royal Navy's principle - the US equivalent was Second to None.
Ah, beat me to it about the Royal Navy's Two Power Standard. :D