In the real world
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

This will piss Seafort off...

Post by Teaos »

Link

I heard rumors of this last year as well on the Regent fleet I used to work for.

I dont know if this is a repuatable news sorce but it was confirmed for me my someone I used to work with who is on that ship.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: This will piss Seafort off...

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not so much piss off as confirm my view of the Argies as a bunch of obnoxious little shits with a tendency to throw childish tantrums when they're shown to be in the wrong.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They wouldnt dare do this if there were more than half a dozen cruise ships there a year. I remember a few European countreis tried to do this to the cruise industry once "You can come here but if you do you cant go to X" The industry got sick of it so told them to bugger off and stopeed going there... funnily enough they backed down after those millions of dollars from hundreds of thousands of tourists stopped flooding their ports...

Even the Arab countries that hate each other dont mess with the cruise industry.

Dont bite the hand that feeds.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Not so much piss off as confirm my view of the Argies as a bunch of obnoxious little shits with a tendency to throw childish tantrums when they're shown to be in the wrong.
Pot meet kettle.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:They wouldnt dare do this if there were more than half a dozen cruise ships there a year. I remember a few European countreis tried to do this to the cruise industry once "You can come here but if you do you cant go to X" The industry got sick of it so told them to bugger off and stopeed going there... funnily enough they backed down after those millions of dollars from hundreds of thousands of tourists stopped flooding their ports...

Even the Arab countries that hate each other dont mess with the cruise industry.

Dont bite the hand that feeds.
England's continued fall from international importance pretty much sealed the situation. It was only a matter of time until someone decided to test again if the British political and military machine can still back up its ego. I doubt this has as much to do with money as it does for someone seeing if England is finally weak enough to be knocked off the big boys block. Though the Argies being the one's to try is a rather nasty mistake. The British armed forces aren't much of a threat, but even then the ADF still wouldn't fair to well in a protracted conflict.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Pot meet kettle.
Not even you're as bad as the Argies, but if you think otherwise then I'm not going to argue.
Deepcrush wrote:England's continued fall from international importance pretty much sealed the situation. It was only a matter of time until someone decided to test again if the British political and military machine can still back up its ego. I doubt this has as much to do with money as it does for someone seeing if England is finally weak enough to be knocked off the big boys block. Though the Argies being the one's to try is a rather nasty mistake. The British armed forces aren't much of a threat, but even then the ADF still wouldn't fair to well in a protracted conflict.
The Argies would get the shit kicked out of them by the standing forces we have in the South Atlantic, with no large-scale reinforcement necessary. As for "not much of a threat", our expeditionary capability relative to the rest of the world is certainly the weakest it's ever been, but that's a temporary issue, and we remain one of the few countries on the planet against whom a decisive war cannot be won.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Can you afford a war though? There is a difference between having an armed force and using it.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Not even you're as bad as the Argies, but if you think otherwise then I'm not going to argue.
Good job seafort, a child's response when pointed at for being childish is always helpful for you.
Captain Seafort wrote:The Argies would get the shit kicked out of them by the standing forces we have in the South Atlantic, with no large-scale reinforcement necessary. As for "not much of a threat", our expeditionary capability relative to the rest of the world is certainly the weakest it's ever been, but that's a temporary issue, and we remain one of the few countries on the planet against whom a decisive war cannot be won.
I've seen the scale of forces England has in the South Atlantic. Calling it petty would be a kindness. As to being one of the few countries on the planet "against whom a decisive war cannot be won". That's a sad joke at best and at worst its just another insane denial of reality. The only thing that England can partly claim over any of its fellow second rate nations is a standing navy.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

For an Island nation a Navy is Number 1 on the list.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Can you afford a war though?
With the Argies? Sure - as I said the currently deployed forces would be enough to smash any attempted invasion. More generally it depends on the nature of the war. The army's been in continuous high-intensity combat for the last decade, never dropping below brigade strength and for two periods (early 2003 and 2006-2009) significantly higher than that. The RAF has been in constant support of the army, and deployed against Libya last year. The navy hasn't been heavily engaged, but it was also deployed off the Libyan coast, and has been engaged in anti-piracy missions off Somalia. The UK's armed forces can't wipe the floor with the rest of the planet anymore, but they're still amongst the most powerful and far-reaching in existence. People tend to forget that because they tend to just compare everyone to what the US can do.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:Can you afford a war though? There is a difference between having an armed force and using it.
Afford isn't as much of a problem for England as will power. England wouldn't be facing a conscript army as it did last time but a professional army. One that has been receiving training similar in effectiveness and not far behind in practice to the UK. With the potential losses involved, if things don't fair well for England quickly, I don't think anyone would be surprised if England tucked out.
Teaos wrote:For an Island nation a Navy is Number 1 on the list.
True, but the lack of a formidable standing army will always be a problem. Boots on the ground are at all times, the end effect of conflict.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I've seen the scale of forces England has in the South Atlantic. Calling it petty would be a kindness.
They're still enough to wipe the floor with anything the Argies could send against them.
As to being one of the few countries on the planet "against whom a decisive war cannot be won". That's a sad joke at best and at worst its just another insane denial of reality.
It's far from a joke. Even the US couldn't win a decisive war against the UK - it would be able to flatten all conventional forces, but any attempt to destroy the UK as a sovereign nation would cost it a few major cities.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah if we're going the way of mutual destruction then Pakistan is on the same level as the UK, as is maybe North Korea.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Ah if we're going the way of mutual destruction then Pakistan is on the same level as the UK, as is maybe North Korea.
No they aren't. The UK can hit any spot on the globe. Pakistan could ruin India's day, NK could ruin SK or Japan, but they can't hit the other side of the planet.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not in a missle no. But through non conventional warfare, yes.