Enterprise CVN-80

In the real world
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Enterprise CVN-80

Post by McAvoy »

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus announced earlier today during the inactivation ceremony for the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN-65) that the third Gerald R Ford-class carrier, CVN-80, will also be named the Enterprise. CVN-80 will be the ninth Navy warship to bear the name Enterprise, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Good choice--sure beats calling it the Gabby Giffords or something (Look up Littoral Combat Ship if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Mabus says he selected the name Enterprise to honor CVN-65, which became the Navy's first nuclear-powered carrier when she was first commissioned back in 1961. "The USS Enterprise was the first of its kind, and for 51 years its name has been synonymous with boldness, readiness and an adventurous spirit," Mabus says. "Rarely has our fleet been without a ship bearing the name. I chose to maintain this tradition not solely because of the legacy it invokes, but because the remarkable work of the name Enterprise is not done."

An earlier World War II carrier, CV-6, also called Enterprise became a legend in the Pacific theatre fighting the Japanese. She played a key role in the pivotal US victory at Midway, and she earned 20 battle stars by the time the war ended. If I recall correctly, the Enterprise was one three Navy carriers built prior to December 7, 1941, to survive the entire war.

Incidentally, CVN-79, the second Ford-class ship will be called USS John F Kennedy--he has stature as a naval hero and President of the United States. He also had a previous carrier CV-67 named after him.

According to the Navy: "The Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier will be 1,092 feet in length and have a beam of 134 feet. The flight deck will be 256 feet wide, and the ship will be able to operate at speeds in excess of 34 knots."
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-d ... d-cvn.html
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise CVN-80

Post by McAvoy »

Personally I like it. The only reason why is because the Enterprise is the only carrier to be not named after a person.

Some people on Navy forums blame Star Trek for this. But really the last two carriers especially CV-6 is an honored ship. A travesty that the US Navy could not save her from the scrap yards.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Another image on future starship walls.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I have to agree that is seems almost treason to have the USN without an Enterprise to lead it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There was a theory that the name would go to a mini flat top.

But hearing this news did brighten my day. Not a Trek fan but a Navy history buff.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

A mini? I don't think any SecNav would risk the trouble that would bring.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe, maybe not.

Afterall, the Enterprise isn't that special to the modern American. Not many people know of the Constitution. People know of the name of Enterprise because of Star Trek.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I saw the Constitution just a month ago in Boston. Beautiful ship.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I saw the Constitution just a month ago in Boston. Beautiful ship.
Yes she is.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

McAvoy wrote:Maybe, maybe not.

Afterall, the Enterprise isn't that special to the modern American. Not many people know of the Constitution. People know of the name of Enterprise because of Star Trek.
Maybe not to the civilian population, but I know the USMC always feels better knowing Big E is watching the skies.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

*sighs* Why couldn't we have named one of the QEs the Ark? :(
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ark Royal?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Joan of?

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Probably.

Anyway, I read this earlier. Great news. :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Ark Royal?
Aye. It's been almost a century since we didn't have an Ark Royal either in service or planned. The name is as much part of the Royal Navy as Enterprise is part of the US Navy
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.