Two police officers shot dead in Manchester

In the real world
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Two police officers shot dead in Manchester

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:I think you are grossly over estimating the amount of police officers available. You are essentially doubling the amount of personal required for what was a standard burglary.
How does it change the number of officers? Two armed officers show up, then are relieved by two unarmed officers. The two armed officers then report for other high risk or trouble issues. Your number of officers doesn't change, just their deployment.
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Indeed. I live in a town of ~35,000 people, 20 miles from London. Our local police station closed down several years ago, and now the police have to come from a station 5-8 miles away. We don't even have sufficient unarmed police, let alone armed officers.
While that's a different issue then the OP. In the US we have Reserve Officers or SPO's as we call them directly which are unarmed Officers who are called in when extra numbers are needed beyond the ability of the full time police department. You should present that kind of an idea at your next city council.
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:And the CO did his job, exactly as he should. It is standard procedure for a burglary to send unarmed officers, armed officers are only sent if armed suspects are reported or suspected, as has already been stated. The CO can't just decide to start arming officers, that is a top-level decision, which I assume is up to the Home Secretary, but I may be wrong on that count.
The only reason he would have to "just start arming officers" would be if England didn't have any armed officers at all. I happen to know that isn't the case. England has armed officers, they are simply outnumbered by lesser officers. The issue is the opening response in use. Someone breaking into a house is someone who is committing a crime by open intent. That implies risk above that of someone speeding or having a drink to many and a person who considers that risk acceptable.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

How does it change the number of officers? Two armed officers show up, then are relieved by two unarmed officers. The two armed officers then report for other high risk or trouble issues. Your number of officers doesn't change, just their deployment.
4 officers rather than two, sure they dont work at the same time but it is a double deployment. In places that may only have 2-4 officers to police an area of a few thousand people you pretty much hit a wall in terms of deployment.

And remember, in the UK and most other countries the amount of times you need armed offices is tiny.

You would most likely argue that if there is a chance why not send in armed offices just in case to avoid cases like this? By that logic why not send the SWAT team into every call out incase someone is wearing body armor and automatic weapons?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:4 officers rather than two, sure they dont work at the same time but it is a double deployment. In places that may only have 2-4 officers to police an area of a few thousand people you pretty much hit a wall in terms of deployment.
If those two are your opening officers each time and are then just relieved, then it doesn't change your numbers at all. As to numbers of officers, that's not a matter of incompetent response, that's just being short staffed and there's not a damn thing you can do about that sad to say. West Virginia has a similar problem, one sheriff and a few deputies to cover a whole county.
Teaos wrote:And remember, in the UK and most other countries the amount of times you need armed offices is tiny.
In most places in the US, officers could do just fine without being armed. However it doesn't excuse sending officers into areas that they should be armed without doing so.
Teaos wrote:You would most likely argue that if there is a chance why not send in armed offices just in case to avoid cases like this? By that logic why not send the SWAT team into every call out incase someone is wearing body armor and automatic weapons?
I take it you didn't think before you typed that since SWAT officers are still officers and most of them work on regular patrols as normal uniformed officers. They simply get called to gear up more so then normal when things require it. SWAT isn't a matter of always being geared up, its a matter of how many of your officers go through Urban Response training. So you could have all of your officers or none of your officers trained as SWAT and still have no effect on your numbers or on the way in which you respond to normal day to day calls. Other then you'd just have a lot of really well trained officers.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

If you call 999 in this country you're lucky if there's an Officer available at all, let alone having an armed response team clearing every address where somebody reports a crime

The Senior members of the Police Force and the vast majority of Police Officers do not want to start arming their Officers. The fact that it isn't needed is one of the few things about this country that I'm still proud of.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:When you have an active crime site, you don't send in defenseless personnel to look it over until you have secured the site. That's the job of armed officers.
Not in the UK, it isn't. And nor should it be.
So then two officers in body armor and with guns of their own would have fared better as they would have been equipped to handle the situation.
Would they? What's the casualty rate amongst US officers as compared to UK ones, I wonder?

But assuming it is true that they would be "better prepared" at least theoretically if they had guns, so what? We could also say two officers in an armoured car would be better prepared, and two in a Challenger II tank would have been even better prepared still. You cannot arrive prepared for the worst case scenario unless you're going to send an armoured division to every crime scene. You send what is reasonable, and the only sensible discussion to be had is what is and isn't reasonable. Given how rare occurrences like this are, I'd say clearing every crime scene with armed officers just in case this is that 1 in 10,000,000 time isn't reasonable. And the actual cops themselves agree.
So in other words, this CO sent his officers into an unknown danger and they died for it.
Cops go into an unknown danger every time they step out the door. And some of them die for it. This remains true whether they have a gun or not. Hell this incident shows that - if the two had been armed it most likely wouldn't have made any difference.
Why would they all have to be armed? Even in the US we have unarmed officers. First a team of armed officers makes sure the area is secure, then the unarmed team takes over. Again its a matter of minutes worth of their time.
At the minimum, you would need a lot more officers on the force to do this. And they'd have to be willing to be armed, which most UK police aren't. And you'd have to be willing to accept that kind of police force, which most people aren't. And you'd only end up escalating the violence in the long run, which is counterproductive.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Not in the UK, it isn't. And nor should it be.
Its not that it shouldn't be, its just that the UK population lacks concern over the safety of its officers. A shame, but may explain the constant trouble you guys mention over being short on numbers. I wouldn't want to serve that kind of a population either.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Would they? What's the casualty rate amongst US officers as compared to UK ones, I wonder?
I don't have solid numbers but a lot of it depends on their deployment zone. In rural and suburban areas, its rare that an officer will ever even have to draw a firearm in their 20yr street assignments. In the urban areas risk goes up but still its rare that an officer dies, road side injuries are the most common. Getting clipped by a passing car or such, which is why the newer vests have wrapped plates by the ribs. Some of the Metro commands get down right ugly but that happens in welfare and durg populated areas. Maryland lost three last year that I know of, however it could have reached double digits if not for the body armor they were deployed with.
GrahamKennedy wrote:But assuming it is true that they would be "better prepared" at least theoretically if they had guns, so what? We could also say two officers in an armoured car would be better prepared, and two in a Challenger II tank would have been even better prepared still. You cannot arrive prepared for the worst case scenario unless you're going to send an armoured division to every crime scene. You send what is reasonable, and the only sensible discussion to be had is what is and isn't reasonable. Given how rare occurrences like this are, I'd say clearing every crime scene with armed officers just in case this is that 1 in 10,000,000 time isn't reasonable. And the actual cops themselves agree.
First off, how is a tank useful for checking on a house? Second, a lot of officers use armored cars but thats mostly on highway patrols so that they can push a disabled vehicle off the road if need be. Third, I didn't say I wanted you to prove how ignorant you can be on the subject but you've at least succeeded there. Tanks and armored cars aren't useful in securing a house, which is why I never said to "bring tanks and cannons and magic ponies", police who are armed and armored however are useful for securing a house.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Cops go into an unknown danger every time they step out the door. And some of them die for it. This remains true whether they have a gun or not. Hell this incident shows that - if the two had been armed it most likely wouldn't have made any difference.
Having to rush a guy with a gun and grenade because you aren't equipped to defend yourself vs being able to back away and engage from a distance is a rather large difference.
GrahamKennedy wrote:At the minimum, you would need a lot more officers on the force to do this. And they'd have to be willing to be armed, which most UK police aren't. And you'd have to be willing to accept that kind of police force, which most people aren't. And you'd only end up escalating the violence in the long run, which is counterproductive.
Again, you don't have to increase your numbers of officers unless there are simply no armed officers in the UK. The Maryland Metro SPO command has 94 officers per shift of which 6 are armed. In 2003 there were only about two dozen SPOs per shift with six per shift being armed. Having armed or unarmed officers in response positions has nothing to do with numbers. Never has, never will.
kostmayer wrote:If you call 999 in this country you're lucky if there's an Officer available at all, let alone having an armed response team clearing every address where somebody reports a crime.
That speaks more to the inability of your country to recruit officers then anything else. For all the talk of how your officers like it, you don't seem to be able to keep your numbers at full roster. Cause and effect seem rather plain here. The US has never had a shortage of officers, in fact the most common problem is that there isn't enough budget or time to train all of the volunteers stepping forward to serve. Something which of my country I am extremely proud, to refer to your statement quoted below.
kostmayer wrote:The Senior members of the Police Force and the vast majority of Police Officers do not want to start arming their Officers. The fact that it isn't needed is one of the few things about this country that I'm still proud of.
Again, I have to point out that saying "you don't want to arm officers" is pointless at best and stupid at worst since your country does in fact already have officers who are armed. Also I have to point out that I never said you need to arm more of your officers, since that seems to be to complex a thought for some here. I said that the deployment of what few armed officers you have needs to be amended.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It's not about people not wanting to be trained to be police officers, its simply we cant afford them. Many have been threatened with redundancy over the past couple of years since there simply isnt the money to pay them, and certainly not enough to arm them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But don't you already have armed officers?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:But don't you already have armed officers?
Thames valley police force (our local force here in Oxfordshire) polices an area of 2200 sq mi (5,700 km²) and a population of 2,180,200 people. In that force there is an armed response unit. The unit is made up of one Inspector, two sergeants, 14 constables and two support staff. So in total you are talking about 17 people in total, assuming the Inspector has nothing better to do. On the 31 March 2010 the force had 4,268 officers. So that gives a figure of 0.4% of that force being armed.

It turns out I was being very misleading when I said that 90% of our officers are not armed, I should have said 99.6% are not armed.
Source

Another interesting fact from that article:
The following officers of Thames Valley Police are listed by the Trust as having died attempting to prevent, stop or solve a crime, since the turn of the 20th century:[29]

PC Roger Brereton, 1987 (shot in the Hungerford massacre)
WPC Joanne Mary Cochran, 1984 (fatally injured when her vehicle crashed during a police pursuit)
DC Ian Coward QPM, 1971 (shot nine times attempting to arrest an armed suspect; posthumously awarded the Queen's Police Medal)
Insp James Roy Bradley, 1967 (run over by a suspect car at a roadblock)
DC Brian Moss, 1953 (fell through a roof while searching for suspects)
PC William John Payne, 1949 (collapsed and died after pursuing a burglar)
Insp Francis John East, 1944 (fatally injured when pushed off a vehicle by a suspect)
Looking at that list I can only see 4 where the officer having a gun had any chance of preventing the situation.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

If its like NZ they are only armed in certain circumstances ie diplomatic protection, high risk situation. But all police officers have guns in a locker in their car, usually a pistol and a shotgun.

All of them are trained to use weapons... to some extent. But I knew cops who had been on the force for 20 years and never once pulled their weapon while at work.

Every time a police officer shoots his gun it is on the 6 o'clock news as it is such a rare occurrence.

EDIT: Just remembered there is one branch of police who are always armed in NZ, Rural police officers carry a side arm in case of rogue wildlife.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

In the UK apart from those I've indicated above none of the others have guns. Lots of our officers don't even use cars to lock anything in.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Its not that it shouldn't be, its just that the UK population lacks concern over the safety of its officers.
No, it isn't. Quite the reverse. It's rather that we are able to maintain a society where people are rather less inclined to go shoot each other than some.
A shame, but may explain the constant trouble you guys mention over being short on numbers. I wouldn't want to serve that kind of a population either.
Huh? Short on numbers of police? I've never heard of such a thing being an issue in the UK.
I don't have solid numbers but a lot of it depends on their deployment zone. In rural and suburban areas, its rare that an officer will ever even have to draw a firearm in their 20yr street assignments. In the urban areas risk goes up but still its rare that an officer dies, road side injuries are the most common. Getting clipped by a passing car or such, which is why the newer vests have wrapped plates by the ribs. Some of the Metro commands get down right ugly but that happens in welfare and durg populated areas. Maryland lost three last year that I know of, however it could have reached double digits if not for the body armor they were deployed with.
According to this 67 cops were shot to death in the US last year. In the UK it was zero. In fact from this, there was one prior shot this year, and before that it was 1 in 2007, 1 in 2005, 1 in 2003... so the average seems to be about 0.5 per year.

So the armed police in the US are shot to death something like 120 times as often as our unarmed police are in the UK.

Which really goes to the actual issue here, that the two countries have very different cultures. I would never advocate that US cops should go unarmed - they'd be shot to pieces, obviously. But you can see from a casual glace at the numbers that there just isn't that culture here. Our cops aren't armed, for the most part, but our criminals also aren't armed for the most part. It's a less gun saturated, less violent culture where occasions like this are so rare that it really would be absurd to make policy based on them. If our police went routinely armed, the criminals would start to do the same. We'd go down the US route and the result would be that a few years along the road we'd have the same result - a far greater number of dead police officers.
First off, how is a tank useful for checking on a house? Second, a lot of officers use armored cars but thats mostly on highway patrols so that they can push a disabled vehicle off the road if need be. Third, I didn't say I wanted you to prove how ignorant you can be on the subject but you've at least succeeded there. Tanks and armored cars aren't useful in securing a house, which is why I never said to "bring tanks and cannons and magic ponies", police who are armed and armored however are useful for securing a house.
It covers you on the approach to the property - which is where these two officers were killed. Have you actually read anything at all about the case?
Having to rush a guy with a gun and grenade because you aren't equipped to defend yourself vs being able to back away and engage from a distance is a rather large difference.
No UK cop is ever required to rush an armed man when they are not armed. So no, not really a comparison.
Again, you don't have to increase your numbers of officers unless there are simply no armed officers in the UK. The Maryland Metro SPO command has 94 officers per shift of which 6 are armed. In 2003 there were only about two dozen SPOs per shift with six per shift being armed. Having armed or unarmed officers in response positions has nothing to do with numbers. Never has, never will.
Of course it does. There are a small number of armed officers. If we required every crime scene to be cleared by an armed officer before other cops turned up, the large majority of the police force would spend most of their time sitting around waiting for the armed cops to show up before they could do anything, and the only way to overcome that would be more armed cops.
That speaks more to the inability of your country to recruit officers then anything else. For all the talk of how your officers like it, you don't seem to be able to keep your numbers at full roster. Cause and effect seem rather plain here. The US has never had a shortage of officers, in fact the most common problem is that there isn't enough budget or time to train all of the volunteers stepping forward to serve. Something which of my country I am extremely proud, to refer to your statement quoted below.
Actually the issue with UK police numbers is more how many the politicians are prepared to pay for. Recruiting has never been an issue.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:In the UK apart from those I've indicated above none of the others have guns. Lots of our officers don't even use cars to lock anything in.
It's worth noting that cops who patrol major airports do so armed, so there are probably a couple of the London forces who buck the percentage. So some of them might even rise to the "90% unarmed" standard...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:In the UK apart from those I've indicated above none of the others have guns. Lots of our officers don't even use cars to lock anything in.
It's worth noting that cops who patrol major airports do so armed, so there are probably a couple of the London forces who buck the percentage. So some of them might even rise to the "90% unarmed" standard...
Yes, that's quite true. Police at airports are armed and have been since 9/11. Prior to that they weren't. It's also worth pointing out that these officers are real cops employed by the government in the same way as other cops. They are not "airport security" police. So in forces where there is a major airport then the count would in fact rise significantly.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

IanKennedy wrote:Yes, that's quite true. Police at airports are armed and have been since 9/11. Prior to that they weren't.
Yes they were - they're simply more heavily armed these days, having gone from one MP5 per two-man patrol two.

It's also worth noting that US police are probably only 20-25 times as likely to be killed, rather than 120 times, given that there are a lot more of them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.