Seal Team Six strike again

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seal Team Six strike again

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
U.S. special operations forces swooped into Somalia on Wednesday and rescued two hostage aid workers after killing their nine kidnappers, a rare and daring raid in the Horn of Africa nation to free foreign captives.

American Jessica Buchanan, 32, and Poul Hagen Thisted, 60, of Denmark, humanitarian aid workers for a Danish demining group, were rescued three months after they were kidnapped on October 25 in the town of Galkayo in the semi-autonomous Galmudug region of the Horn of Africa country.

"The United States will not tolerate the abduction of our people and will spare no effort to secure the safety of our citizens and to bring their captors to justice," Obama said in a statement.

The rescue was carried out by forces that included members of the same elite Navy SEAL unit that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden last year in a raid on his compound in Pakistan, a U.S. official told Reuters on condition of anonymity.
As somebody in another forum put it, "If a member of Seal Team Six ever again has to buy his own drink, America has failed as a nation." :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Seal Team Six strike again

Post by Mikey »

Too true. :lol: Is Seal Team Six like the SAS of the current decade now?

BTW, If there's one thing that you can usually say about Obama, it's that he's a good speaker. The choice of words above, however, make it seem like they rescued the Danish guy completely by accident, and if he didn't stick close to the American then they wold have left him.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:As somebody in another forum put it, "If a member of Seal Team Six ever again has to buy his own drink, America has failed as a nation." :)
I like that. *Thumbs up*
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

On the other hand, what are the chances that any guy who's genuinely SF will admit to it?

I also expect that Seal Team Six is significantly larger than the PLA, just as various medieval churches managed to collect enough bits of the True Cross to build Noah's Ark.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:On the other hand, what are the chances that any guy who's genuinely SF will admit to it?
Not bad... after he retires.
Captain Seafort wrote:I also expect that Seal Team Six is significantly larger than the PLA, just as various medieval churches managed to collect enough bits of the True Cross to build Noah's Ark.
The team is probably a given size. The actual members at any given point in time probably vary considerably from the members at any other point.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

GrahamKennedy wrote:As somebody in another forum put it, "If a member of Seal Team Six ever again has to buy his own drink, America has failed as a nation." :)
Agreed.
ImageImage
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:
Agreed.
I'll disagree with this only on the bounds that a SeAL is soldier performing his duty no different then any other soldier. I think the test of our nation will be how we treat all our returning armed forces, not just those that make the news for a day.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Deepcrush wrote:
alexmann wrote:
Agreed.
I'll disagree with this only on the bounds that a SeAL is soldier performing his duty no different then any other soldier. I think the test of our nation will be how we treat all our returning armed forces, not just those that make the news for a day.
So it doesn't matter what they've done for America/The World, you'll treat them all the same?
ImageImage
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yes. Why should I treat a Marine who's been deployed to a dozen countries to aid local governments or an Army Ranger who's been deployed to Iraq 8 times in 10 years with any less respect and honor then I do a SeAL?
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

You said "all our returning armed forces". Chances are at least one or two of them will have got deployed, gone round a local village a few times and come home. Not everyone gets the dangerous assignments. SEAL Team Six have not only been put in danger numerous times but have performed exceptionally well each time.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

alexmann wrote:Not everyone gets the dangerous assignments.
No, just the ones who go to war zones. I.e. hundreds of thousands of them. Either do some basic research or shut up.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:You said "all our returning armed forces". Chances are at least one or two of them will have got deployed, gone round a local village a few times and come home. Not everyone gets the dangerous assignments. SEAL Team Six have not only been put in danger numerous times but have performed exceptionally well each time.
When you go to war, every assignment is dangerous... because its a fucking war. I also take it you've never had to ride through in a convoy in one of those "Local villages" where vehicles are often peppered by RPGs and AK rounds. Also its not a few times as a deployment is six months to two years of taking such little rides through town. Or trying to sleep while under mortar attack, or have a kid run up to you with a bomb strapped to them because someone told them you have candy or even just clean water.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

alexmann wrote:You said "all our returning armed forces". Chances are at least one or two of them will have got deployed, gone round a local village a few times and come home. Not everyone gets the dangerous assignments. SEAL Team Six have not only been put in danger numerous times but have performed exceptionally well each time.
It doesn't matter if someone has spent their whole deployment in fire-fights, clearing mines, maintaining order, or babysitting some VIP... Anybody that is deployed with the military, however dangerous their deployment, deserves the same respect. Sadly, there seems a lack of that all too often in the UK. But John or Jenny may have spent 6-months or a year over in Iraq, and just because their names weren't broadcast on the news, doesn't mean they deserve less respect.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Not all go to warzones though Seafort, that's my point. He's saying treat ALL the same.

Yes, war assignments are dangerous. Not all assignments are to warzones though.
ImageImage
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

alexmann wrote:Not all go to warzones though Seafort, that's my point. He's saying treat ALL the same.

Yes, war assignments are dangerous. Not all assignments are to warzones though.
It doesn't matter that they are not war zones. There is always the possibility of a terrorist attack, or whatnot. Especially in this day and age. So yes, ALL military service persons should be treated with equal respect.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."