A blackout of the internet?

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

A blackout of the internet?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
In the growing battle for the future of the Web, some of the biggest sites online -- Google, Facebook, and other tech stalwarts -- are considering a coordinated blackout of their sites, some of the web’s most popular destinations.

No Google searches. No Facebook updates. No Tweets. No Amazon.com shopping. Nothing.

The action would be a dramatic response to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), a bill backed by the motion picture and recording industries that is intended to eliminate theft online once and for all. HR 3261 would require ISPs to block access to sites that infringe on copyrights -- but how exactly it does that has many up in arms. The creators of some of the web's biggest sites argue it could instead dramatically restrict law-abiding U.S. companies -- and reshape the web as we know it.
Interesting...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: A blackout of the internet?

Post by Mikey »

That's nothing. If www.ditl.org shut down, then the world would end.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've been following this debate online for some weeks now. Some claim it's more about censorship than controlling piracy, though as a means to achieve the latter the bill is like using a nuke to swat a mosquito. It is not a balanced solution to the issue. Proponents of the bill are the usual suspects (recording and movie industries) and are wealthy and influential if more limited in number than the opponents. These include not only free speech advocates like Al Gore but virtually every major tech company. Even Microsoft seems to be against the bill, though in much more muted fashion than the likes of Google or Facebook.

Internet security firms doubt the bill would stop piracy so much as force it deeper underground, which raises their fears of increased malware and online criminal activity as a result, since more pirates would gravitate toward less secured places on the web.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

This won't stop piracy at all. Block a site, someone makes a workaround. This will do nothing except make it harder to fight piracy.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I hope they do it, should get people more aware of the situation.

BTW, if you don't know what we're talking about I urge you to watch this.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Would it just be US or world wide? I can't see them being able to effect sites hosted and viewed out of the states.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Doesn't matter what your geographic location is - if Google shuts down, you won't be able to use Google from New York, Christchurch, or Timbuktu.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I like this idea. It is a bold stance being taken by the sites. Step 2 would be to continue to opperate, but block sales of the companies that are pushing for SOPA. Amazon would go a day without allowing sales of certain companies movies or music, google would not give those companies as results in searches, etc etc etc. The rest of the sites would be up and fine... but selective blocking.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That seems a bit militant to me... AGREE WITH US... OR ELSE!!

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Well, that is the tactic that the people pushing for the new laws uses so this would simply be showing them what they deserve.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:That seems a bit militant to me... AGREE WITH US... OR ELSE!!
That's actually the tactical mindset of every activist for every cause in the history of ever, left or right.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But usually not so blatantly, maybe its just becasue of the size and power of those companies it seems more extreme...

Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Which companies? The ones backing SOPA, or Facebook, Google etc.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Google ect. Usually protesters are the under dogs... not the pitballs...

Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

But this is the sort of thing that could actually happen if SOPA passses.
Bite my shiny metal ass