Gaddaffi dead, son and 2iC nicked [updated]

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Gaddaffi dead, son and 2iC nicked [updated]

Post by Captain Seafort »

Libya's ex-leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed after an assault on his birthplace of Sirte, officials say.

The circumstances of his death are not yet clear. Video has emerged purporting to show Col Gaddafi being captured alive and bundled on to a truck.

Fighters loyal to the National Transitional Council (NTC) said they found him hiding in a hole, and shot him when he tried to escape.

Col Gaddafi was toppled in August after 42 years in power.

The NTC now plans to officially announce Libya's "liberation" before indicating the next steps towards democratic elections.

Golden gun

After a day of conflicting reports and rumours, the NTC's acting prime minister Mahmoud Jibril told a news conference: "We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Muammar Gaddafi has been killed."

World leaders welcomed the news, urging the NTC to carry through its promise to reform the country.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron, who had taken a leading role in Nato's intervention, said it was "a day to remember all of Col Gaddafi's victims".

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called it a "historic" moment, but warned: "The road ahead for Libya and its people will be difficult and full of challenges."

Proof of Col Gaddafi's fate came in grainy pieces of video, first circulated among NTC fighters and then broadcast by international news channels.

The first videos showed a bloodied corpse, with some channels picking up footage they said showed the colonel's body being dragged through the streets.

An NTC fighter told the BBC he found Col Gaddafi hiding in a hole in Sirte, and the former leader begged him not to shoot.

The fighter showed reporters a golden pistol he said he had taken from Col Gaddafi.

Arabic TV channels showed images of troops surrounding two large drainage pipes where the reporters said Col Gaddafi was found.

Later, another video emerged of the colonel being bundled on to the back of a pick-up truck after being captured alive.

NTC fighters said he was shot when he tried to escape.

None of the video footage has been independently verified.

'Saif surrounded'

Libyans gathered in towns and cities across the country to celebrate the reports of the colonel's death.

Groups of young men fired guns in the air, and drivers honked horns in celebration.

His death came after weeks of fierce fighting for Sirte, one of the last remaining pockets of resistance.

Nato, which has been running a bombing campaign in Libya for months, said it had carried out an air strike earlier on Thursday that hit two pro-Gaddafi vehicles near Sirte.

It was unclear whether the strikes were connected with Col Gaddafi's death.

Mr Jibril promised that National Transitional Council (NTC) chief Mustafa Abdul Jalil would give more details of how Col Gaddafi was killed either late on Thursday or during Friday.

He said Mr Abdul Jalil would also officially announce the "liberation of the country", allowing the NTC to begin pushing through democratic reforms that will lead to elections.

"I think it's for the Libyans to realise that it's time to start a new Libya, a united Libya, one people, one future," Mr Jibril said.

He also told the news conference that NTC forces had surrounded a convoy fleeing from Sirte, and that unconfirmed reports said Saif al-Islam was among those in the convoy.

There are also rumours that another of the colonel's sons, Mutassim, was killed in Sirte.
This is turning into a really bad year for obnoxious troublemakers. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Gaddaffi dead

Post by Mikey »

And a lucky one for people who as of now don't have to figure out the awkward and likely contentious extradition situation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Shot while trying to escape... while being hogtied in the back of a pickup truck... Sounds like Texas love to me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ah, the world is an ever so slightly better place today, I think.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

A very slight bit...

On following news, the UN is now complaining that Gaddaffi is dead and that he should have been spared in the fighting. :bangwall:

Heard the issue on the radio at work and I was hoping it was just a joke broadcast, but sadly no...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:roll:
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Hey, even I can hold out a small amount of hope and kindness. But of course the UN fucks it up for everyone so I'm back to being me.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

On a brighter note, all bloodshed aside, the new anthem of Libya strongly resembles the intro of a certain Belgian television show.
http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail. ... 111021_053

The libyan anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPvS-p-YOg

The belgian television show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPXDd2JvvrM
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:On following news, the UN is now complaining that Gaddaffi is dead and that he should have been spared in the fighting. :bangwall:
You have to admit that it would have been better for all concerned if he'd been captured so that he could a) stand trial prior to being either thrown (back) into a hole (preferable) or strung up (more likely) and b) answer a few questions about outstanding issues surrounding Lockerbie and WPC Fletcher. Nothing to loose sleep over, but a bit irritating nonetheless.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Would've been nice, but I can live with this. He can't, but I can. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:He can't, but I can. ;)
:laughroll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:stand trial prior to being either thrown (back) into a hole (preferable) or strung up (more likely) and
What a CF that would be. The infighting over extradition and venue alone would've taken a decade.
Captain Seafort wrote:answer a few questions about outstanding issues surrounding Lockerbie and WPC Fletcher.
Yeah, we could count on straight talk from him on that point.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:stand trial prior to being either thrown (back) into a hole (preferable) or strung up (more likely) and
What a CF that would be. The infighting over extradition and venue alone would've taken a decade.
Captain Seafort wrote:answer a few questions about outstanding issues surrounding Lockerbie and WPC Fletcher.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:What a CF that would be. The infighting over extradition and venue alone would've taken a decade.
And? The Libyans would have possession of him and the strongest case in terms of jurisdiction on grounds of nationality and location of most of the crimes he'd be charged with.
Guess there's no point in the plod questioning any criminal suspects then, since the guilty obviously aren't going to give any straight answers. :roll:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:On following news, the UN is now complaining that Gaddaffi is dead and that he should have been spared in the fighting. :bangwall:
You have to admit that it would have been better for all concerned if he'd been captured so that he could a) stand trial prior to being either thrown (back) into a hole (preferable) or strung up (more likely) and b) answer a few questions about outstanding issues surrounding Lockerbie and WPC Fletcher. Nothing to loose sleep over, but a bit irritating nonetheless.
Nope, I'd rather they just drag him out of his hole, confirm who he is, shoot him, and then just dump the body and leave it to the desert. To he'll with the UN, their courts or their burial concerns.