Our ship - Random stuff

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Our ship - Random stuff

Post by Teaos »

The blast doors could be made of cargo containers... nothing gets through those.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's a fair amount of difference between rock and a metal alloy.
Yes, that's what I was trying to point out. That phasers are good against rock does not mean they'll be equaly good against metal.
Indeed, we have canon evidence to suggest phasers suck Vs metal.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well I still want my damn Marines! Since there isn't a reason for not adding I'm going to use that .02% space and place them. :twisted:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Kendall - that wasn't me, but thanks.

As far as the marines, I don't think we were talking about a separate service branch, just a convenient term for troops who are actually trained as soldiers ( :shock: ) and berthed aboard a ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats sounds right to me.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Um, Rochey... starship hulls are made of metal, and we have seen phasers destroy ships all the time.

Oh, were you referring to hand phasers?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We've seen a similar effect with starship phasers - they can punch holes several kilometres deep in a planet's crust, and yet look at their effect (or lack thereof) on a starship's hull. They're limited to burning off a few dozen or hundred square metres.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And we have also seen them destroy enormous amounts of metal, such as against the Borg ship in Best of Both Worlds.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

stitch626 wrote:And we have also seen them destroy enormous amounts of metal, such as against the Borg ship in Best of Both Worlds.
About 99.9% of which was empty space.

Still, I'd rather have forcefields because they're so much more versatile.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Um, Rochey... starship hulls are made of metal, and we have seen phasers destroy ships all the time.

Oh, were you referring to hand phasers?
I was reffering specificaly to hand-portable phasers, since they're the only thing a boarding party would have with them, but phasers in general have demonstrated that they have a greater effect on rock than on metal. The E-D used a phaser to tunnel down through the crust of a planet in one episode, IIRC, yet we routinely see unshielded ships survive phaser blasts with drasticaly less damage done to them.
And we have also seen them destroy enormous amounts of metal, such as against the Borg ship in Best of Both Worlds
Not a particularly difficult feat, when you consider that the Cube is mostly empty space and completely unarmoured.
It should be noted that against the armoured Cube in FC, it took the combined power of close to a dozen ships to blow a hole through the side of the Cube.
Still, I'd rather have forcefields because they're so much more versatile.
We should use both. Redundancy is always a good thing. In this instance we can have the versatility of a forcefield, combined with a backup system that can't be bypassed by draining it of power or other technobabble sollutions while still being strong enough to resist anything the boarders can bring with them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm having trouble understanding why its even a question... There's no reason not to have the blast doors on board. There's also no reason not to have force fields with them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I agree, have both, it doesnt hurt the ship any to have them both used.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Kendall - that wasn't me, but thanks.

As far as the marines, I don't think we were talking about a separate service branch, just a convenient term for troops who are actually trained as soldiers ( :shock: ) and berthed aboard a ship.
Well Marine has a very specific meaning: naval infantry whose primary purpose is amphibous assualt. Maybe I'm just an anal jerk but what you are describing are actually Master at Arms, which is pretty close to what Starfleet Security are. Responsible for internal and external security.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, let's have some well trained versions of them, then.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We're not talking about the USMC, or the Royal Marines. I was always under the impression that Deep referred to the original meaning of the term "marine," which was a soldier trained to fight aboard, and berthed on, a ship (probably without the press-gang implication, though.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer