Our ship - Random stuff

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Our ship - Random stuff

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I kind of just assumed "marine" was a generic term for soilders on ships.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's pretty much what it originally meant.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:That's pretty much what it originally meant.
It may be what it originally meant, though even then the Royal Marines where a far different entity than the standard Army soldier. The common use of Marine now is what I described. If that is what Deep meant than so be it, however in using that term he is creating an expectation in my mind at least of something that apparently doesn't exist.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You'd probably know better than I, so I will accept your correction, but IIRC the main difference (besides uni colors, etc.) between an 18th century Royal Marine and a redcoat was the type of shot used, the affinity for using boarding hooks/axes rather than sabers, and their use in press gangs.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:You'd probably know better than I, so I will accept your correction, but IIRC the main difference (besides uni colors, etc.) between an 18th century Royal Marine and a redcoat was the type of shot used, the affinity for using boarding hooks/axes rather than sabers, and their use in press gangs.
That's a fair amount of difference for a pre-twentieth century military force. Most of these guys couldn't even read or do basic math after all. The average Army soldier also wasn't expected to sit in the masts and fire down at the enemy deck, that's a long way up when the average height a guy might climb was probably a story or two.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Fair enough. 18th century Royal Marines were also known for their viciousness over redcoats. But my point was that they weren't a recon or landing force specifically.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Fair enough. 18th century Royal Marines were also known for their viciousness over redcoats.
Eh? That's not one I've heard before - and I expect the inhabitants of Badajoz would disagree with it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Eh? That's not one I've heard before - and I expect the inhabitants of Badajoz would disagree with it.
If it's true (and I don't think it is), I can see why: there's no where to go on a ship. But there's less chance of a mass rape and looting spree on the open ocean.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit; viciousness in HTH combat, not towards GP's. Also, there's the whole press-gang thing.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit; viciousness in HTH combat, not towards GP's. Also, there's the whole press-gang thing.
As in "recruiting" for the Navy? Yes, there's that but generally when your press-ganging someone you try not to kill them.

I forgot to address this though:
But my point was that they weren't a recon or landing force specifically.
It was part of their duties though. Soldiers back then were far more generalist than they are now with a wide ranging set of duties, with the Redcoats for example there were only a few different trades. The Marines where expected to perform landings, but being such a tiny force (indeed the entire Britsh Army was incredibly small at the time) their utility was limited. Marine usage has evolved since then obviously, yet we still see them employed as shipboard security on CVN's and such, which was one of the original duties of the Royal Marines.

Besides playing dumbass music during combat and landings.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...Besides playing dumbass music during combat and landings.
So, they're Metallica fans, eh? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So, then let's just call them Special Ops Commandos and leave it at that. 40 would be plenty. It's not like they'd be used to secure a planet or capture an enemy ship. They'd be the spearhead of the attack, infiltrating and taking the command centers and such.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.