Total votes: 20
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Our Ship - Torpedoes

Post by Teaos »

Our Ship:

So far we have come to the decision to build a Federation Battleship based in the year 2390; it is of GCS and Sovereign size.

As a battleship it is going to be out fitted with 60cm ablative armour with a high density double hull. This reduced the final production run of the ship by six ships from the original twenty giving us a run of fourteen ships. It also drops its final speed by 12% and agility by 24%.

The shielding stands at 7 million Terra Joules shielding in a bubble shape running off an independent power supply. The bubble shields while weaker than form fitting shields have the added advantage of less maintenance and also have greater flexibility in battle, due to its simplicity it can shift power from one section to the other recharging damaged sections. The independent power supply offers greatly improved survivability as the shields are no longer attached to the core. It does however take up a larger percent of internal volume than other wise would have been used.

Our Beam weapons sit at 200,000 Terra Watts powered off the warp core, with a All Rounder configuration.

So far our internal volume space stands at:
24% warp core (Includes everything related to it such as work area ect) (Includes extra power for beam weapons)
7% Shield power unit.
10%< Cargo (At least, the more of this the longer it lasts)
15%< Crew (Thats the bare minimum, depending on the amount of crew and comfort it could go all the way up to 40%)
10%< Essential (Stuff like sickbays and one shuttle bay ect that we need, could go up with added facilities)
7% Phase Canon

Total: 73% minimum

Torpedo fire power:

Ok this will be done like beam weapons, one poll for the amount of space we are willing to dedicate to torpedo fire power and another one for how we will use that space.

You get 2 votes. One for the amount of space and one for the replicator.

The next poll we will divide the space up between what tubes we want.

So for this time we decide on the amount of space we will use:

You can see above the amount of space we have used and where. Now this is a little complicated as technically we could dedicate all remaining space to this since there is nothing more to add to the ship specifically but there are several things we may want to expand upon.

So I'll do a run down on the space used so far and how it effects the ship, I'll then give the size requirements for the torpedo tubes ect.

Warp core: Currently 24% internal volume. This could be as big as it gets but one of the future polls will be about speed. One of the factors will be that for every 1% volume we add to the core the faster the ship goes. So it could get bigger if we want to add some speed to our turtle.

Shield Power unit: 7%. Final size

Phase Lance: 7% Final size

Cargo (Includes replicator stock ect does not include weapons stock): 10% Minimum. For every percent this takes up the ship has one month of supplies. So it currently has ten month endurance under normal conditions.

Crew: 15% Minimum. That is the bare minimum needed to field our ship under current specs. It doesn't include any room for land forces. It also puts them on the lower end of comfort; bunking for crew men and shared room for everyone bellow Lt commander. The ship is also more automated this way. For every 1% more room given the automation of the ship goes down.

Essential: 10% Minimum. This covers the basic essential like a transporter a single sickbay and a basic shuttle bay. This will be the final poll we do, I've yet to make up suitable numbers for it but the more facilities we add the more it will cost in internal volume. Since this is the basics you are probably going to want to add at least another 3-4%.

Total 73% minimum.

So now for the Torpedo tubes and stock (Again since there is no canon numbers I am using DITL ones):

Torpedo tubes:

I have decided that there is no size difference between a tube that fires a QT or a PT. Both seem the same size and I see no reason to think the tube may be bigger. The only difference in the torpedoes I think is that QT's are harder to make which isn't our problem.

2nd class: 1 every 4 seconds 0.25: per second average
1% internal volume

Standard: 1 every 2 seconds: 0.5 per second average
1% internal volume

Type 1 burst fire: 4 every 2.85 seconds: 1.4 per second average
1.2% internal volume

Type 2 burst fire: 8 every 5 seconds: 1.6 per second average
1.25% internal volume

Type 3 burst fire: 10 every 5 seconds: 2 per second average
1.5% internal volume

Type 4 burst fire: 12 every 5 seconds: 2.4 per second average
2% internal volume

Pulse fire: 4 in a second, with 3 second reload time: 1 per second average
2.5% internal volume

Rapid fire: 4 per second: 4 per second average
4% Internal volume

Torpedo stock:

200 Torpedoes per 1% internal volume.

We can dedicate 2% internal volume to a Proton torpedo replicator which can replicate 100 torpedoes in a week. This can restock our supplies of PT's while QTs can only be restocked from a station or cargo vessel.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Our Ship - Torpedoes

Post by Mikey »

I went for 17%, no replicator. I'm figuring this would allow us either:

a) 2x rapid fire tubes, 4x type 3 tubes, and a 600 torp stock; or,

b) 1x rapid fire, 6x type 3, and and an 800 torp stock.

Am I too ambitious with the types of tubes at the expense of reserves?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I figure what ever combo we come up with it is only going to be made up of Rapid fire, pulse fire, and type 4 or 3 tubes.

I like your A option. Its a battleship, thus it should be able to lay down as much fire power as fast as possible.

But I would lower the torpedo stock a bit and have a replicator.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I thought you had stipulated that the replicator can't produce QT's? That was a big determination for me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It cant. But I figure if we make a few of the tubes PT tube we can have bugger all PT stock and just replace them as we go.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Can't QTLs also fire PTs? I'm pretty sure they can.

Even if they can't fire a standard PT, the replicator could match the casings to allow to fire our home made PTs.

I say 3 RFQTLs at 12% and 2200 warheads at 11% plus the warhead replicator's 2% taking us to 25%.

I think we should look into have a longer deployment time. 12 months should be the min for a battleship since if she goes behind enemy lines we don't want her running out of supplies. That adds 2%.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

20% - 6 * type 2 burst fire, with 2100 reload rounds and a replicator- magazine capacity is very important if we're going to be spitting out torps at the rate you're talking about
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Saving space seafort? :?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

You always need to leave a bit of slack in any design, to allow for future upgrades. Plus I'm not sure if Teaos is planning anything else to fit in this thing.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think he said this is it. Plus you can always look back later and empty a cargo hold of QTs and replace it with something else. For now we've got the room so might as well fill it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll go with Seafort's suggestion, too. It make sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To many launchers for me with a low rate of fire. Maybe type 4's but type 2's? Just doesn't seem worth it to use that space and not get much of a return on.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It gives you redundancy, in case a shot takes out a launcher, and the older launchers are likely to be more reliable than the newer ones - they've been in sevice long enough that any problems have likely been found and fixed.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I guess, but if someone has something that can take out one of our QTLs under the shields and armour then a TL going out is the least of my worries.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

We've seen short-term shield loss often enough (WotW and Nemesis spring to mind), and launcher would by it's nature leave a gap in the armour - there has to be a decent-sized hole for the torpedoes to be fired through, and a hit there could easilly disable the launcher.