Not independent power supply
3%

Total votes: 39
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Our ship - Shields

Post by Deepcrush »

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know for sure. Either way, I've never heard someone say "We ran out of replicator stuff!" But we have heard people talk about how they save power by not using the replicators. That should tell us something about which is in higher need.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Deepcrush wrote:Maybe, maybe not. We don't know for sure. Either way, I've never heard someone say "We ran out of replicator stuff!" But we have heard people talk about how they save power by not using the replicators. That should tell us something about which is in higher need.
Yes we have. In "Year of Hell" Janeway ordered Chakotay to put the watch back in the replicator, which would take more energy to recycle the materials, however the materials themselves would be more valuable then the energy used to recyle it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Didn't she yell at him about the power too? They were also in a place were they couldn't refill their stores, the battleship isn't going to be having that problem. That little watch of her's takes up a lot less matter then most things out there but she still talked about boots and a hypo.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Deepcrush wrote:Didn't she yell at him about the power too? They were also in a place were they couldn't refill their stores, the battleship isn't going to be having that problem. That little watch of her's takes up a lot less matter then most things out there but she still talked about boots and a hypo.
I don't think so. But the watches materials could be used along with other materials used to make boots and hypos.

Also, you never know what kind of situation a battleship will find itself in. Given how tough we're making this thing there's a good chance that it'd survive longer then any other ship in what ever fleet it serves in. It could end up behind enemy lines without any support.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We're building 14 of them, THEY ARE THE FLEET SUPPORT! Besides, these guys will want to be behind enemy lines. How much of a kick in the butt would that be to have these death machines passing through enemy space. Smashing enemy patrols, starbases, planetary defenses and even a few small fleets. The defensive rating on these things is 9400. If someone has something to take out 14 of them then it wont matter if they can be repaired. Plus, if you've hurt them so bad they have to run with as slow as they are. These ships are a lost cause. They are 'won way' tickets, win the battle or die. I think that's why I like them so much.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Deepcrush wrote: We're building 14 of them, THEY ARE THE FLEET SUPPORT! Besides, these guys will want to be behind enemy lines. How much of a kick in the butt would that be to have these death machines passing through enemy space. Smashing enemy patrols, starbases, planetary defenses and even a few small fleets. The defensive rating on these things is 9400. If someone has something to take out 14 of them then it wont matter if they can be repaired. Plus, if you've hurt them so bad they have to run with as slow as they are. These ships are a lost cause. They are 'won way' tickets, win the battle or die. I think that's why I like them so much
What does any of this have to do with what we were talking about?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Cargo space is a big deal.

Replicator stock does take up a lot of space, especially on a ship this size. Either like Blackstar said and I agree that it disolves stock and then reforms it meaning there has to be a stock pile somewhere or it creates it out of raw energy... now if its the latter where does that energy come from... the warp core, and how does that get its power... by "burning" matter anti-matter, so what ever way ot does it it still requires the same amount of mass to do it.

Cargo is set at a minimum of 10% and that gives it shorter times before restocking. That also doesnt include weapons stock.

And I still think it is much better to automate rather than have a crew but we'll leave that upto the polls.

Lets just do a quick run down on internal volume.

20% warp core (Includes everything related to it such as work area ect)
7% Shield power.
10%< Cargo (At least, the more of this the longer it lasts)
15%< Crew (Thats the bare minimum, depending on the amount of crew and comfort it could go all the way up to 40%)
10%< Essential (Stuff like sickbays and one shuttle bay ect that we need, could go up with added facilities)

So thats 62% gone already at a minimum. Beam weapons don't take up space unless its the Lance. Torpedoes do take up a lot of internal volume with the tubes and loading areas and stock, the big fast firing ones take a very large amount of space. Things like multiple computer cores and redundant work stations could also end up taking quite a bit of space.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Looks like we'll be going with "highly automated" unless we want the largest unarmed ship in 'Trek history...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Pehaps now it would be time to set the volumen of the ship. 10% used for something doesn't sound much but when you use actual figures and compare them to real life ones, we could be suprised that we alocated to much space to a single system.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Deepcrush wrote:We're building 14 of them, THEY ARE THE FLEET SUPPORT! Besides, these guys will want to be behind enemy lines. How much of a kick in the butt would that be to have these death machines passing through enemy space. Smashing enemy patrols, starbases, planetary defenses and even a few small fleets. The defensive rating on these things is 9400. If someone has something to take out 14 of them then it wont matter if they can be repaired. Plus, if you've hurt them so bad they have to run with as slow as they are. These ships are a lost cause. They are 'won way' tickets, win the battle or die. I think that's why I like them so much.
Thats how I would use the Sov and the Prommi during the Dominion war. They are fast, heavaly armed, can do alot of damage. The enemy needs to alocate greate numbers in other to keep small number of ships in check.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Sov and Prommy can both dive into enemy territory unleash hell and then retreat. This ship will sit on the boarder and make sure no one chases them back unless they are in a decent sized fleet.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or act in fleet battles, such as those in DS9, where speed is secondary and they can just wade through the enemy fleet with all guns blazing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Rochey wrote:Or act in fleet battles, such as those in DS9, where speed is secondary and they can just wade through the enemy fleet with all guns blazing.
True. But these way the enemy can bring more ships to the fight. And you suffer loses to your weaker ships.
If 3 Galors are needed to take on a GSC. Than for a single Sov or a Prommi how many would they need 9-12. In the war I would say that the fed had 3 Sov and 3 prommi. So six ships working on strike missions would ty up 36 ships. And we know that there is no way that they could be cought. So to intercept them the Dominion would have to deploy more than just one fleet. Basicly we have 6 ships tying up a force of a 100 ships. I would call that a good use or reasources.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

While Grahams numbers are nice and all I dont think they can be taken at face value like that.

Just because a Galor has a third the strenght of the GCS doesnt mean it would take three to bring it down. When you add more ships you add a whole new dimension to the battle, mutliple angles and attack patterns. The enemy would have sensory over load.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True. But these way the enemy can bring more ships to the fight. And you suffer loses to your weaker ships.
By that logic, no large battleships should ever have been built throughout history.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"