New RP Discussion

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

New RP Discussion

Post by Deepcrush »

I think we should wipe it and start something a little more free moving. We have plenty of character based RPs. Maybe we should start a ship based one. People can pick a faction and command a ship of some kind. Then they could move about fighting each other or NPC ships. That would be fun.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: RP characters

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A sort of "Rome: Total War" in space? Interesting.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I might be down for something like that. What franchise would said RP be set in? Star Wars?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Phantom Renegade
Banned

Post by Phantom Renegade »

Deepcrush wrote:I think we should wipe it and start something a little more free moving. We have plenty of character based RPs. Maybe we should start a ship based one. People can pick a faction and command a ship of some kind. Then they could move about fighting each other or NPC ships. That would be fun.
Maybe, but I have a feeling that everyone around here will go for the largest most heavily armed ship available. Maybe one that's more centralized like on a space station but so that there's a lot of activity in the star system so that characters are regularly moving around without restrictions of "the mission"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That could work. Maybe each person is a civilian or character of any profession aboard a sort of DS9 style station. Some can be officers of starfleet, while here or there we can have a quark or a Garek.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I call the "Garak". :lol:

No, seriously, what franchise?

If it's Star Wars, I'd pick a Rebel Assault Frigate, or a Corellian Gunship.

If 'Trek, I'd go with a Runabout or a Sabre. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

What i mean is, that we are based on some sort of station or even a planet if its SW (say coruscant or Corellia), and each person has some form of stellar asset if they want. The story lines can intersect if you want them to, but you're pretty free to deal with it as you like. If its SW, you could base it in the waning days before the Clone wars on Coruscant or something, see how they react to the war and such. If its trek, how they cope with the Dominion war on a DS9 clone station. We can have some military officers, who obviously get orders which they can do in their parts of the story, while you get some civvies doing their bit during the war.

thoughts?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Phantom Renegade wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:I think we should wipe it and start something a little more free moving. We have plenty of character based RPs. Maybe we should start a ship based one. People can pick a faction and command a ship of some kind. Then they could move about fighting each other or NPC ships. That would be fun.
Maybe, but I have a feeling that everyone around here will go for the largest most heavily armed ship available. Maybe one that's more centralized like on a space station but so that there's a lot of activity in the star system so that characters are regularly moving around without restrictions of "the mission"
Thats easy enough, you put limits on the size of the ships for starts. We pick an era and then move from there. Everyone would start in a cruiser. Faction and class would be up to you. The goal would be to move around, not just a system.

By Era
Galactic Civil War
If you're the Empire, your job would be hunt and destroy rebel ships.
If you're rebels, your job is to strike at Imperial supply ships and support rebel forces on Imperial planets.
If you pick an independent faction then you're job is either by their back story or whatever side you choose.

Clone Wars
If you're the Republic, your job is to support small scale operations against the separatists.
If you're the CIS, your job is raiding and spying ops.
If you're an independent, your job is about whatever you want.

We could run other eras later but for now I want to stick with best known.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We have ST RPs a plenty. SWs would be something that could open a lot of doors. Plus its something we dont' have.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Aye, true. I think the problem with the previous one is that the majority of SW universe has a civilian background. Sure it was with military characters, but large portions were on civilian spaces. Alot of the universe is based on the civvie side of it. ST is centered on more on military. The previous one was way too structured for such an expansively huge universe as 'wars. Giving more freedom, could make it far easier. It could be a lot more laid back than the ST ones too.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Would it be a similar type of RP to what we've had, or are we talking about a more build-point/specification oriented, mechanical system?

Either way, I'm intrigued...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...Either way, I'm intrigued...
So am I; it sounds interesting.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

From the way I see it, it is SORT of similar to the one we have going, but its more independent. The people don't really have any relation at the start. That comes later if you decide to have some form of common story to mold together on. You can build it relatively as you like, have what you like (within reason) and even be who you like. It's altogether a lot more freefall instead of structured mission. Of course moderation is necessary, but only for major decisions. It'd be a lot less work intensive than the stuff we already have for instance.
Phantom Renegade
Banned

Post by Phantom Renegade »

so...did we decide on a universe?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Phantom Renegade wrote:so...did we decide on a universe?
Sure doesn't sound like it. I vote Wars, and I like the ship-based setup.