NX-07 Buran Alpha Mission thread

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: NX-07 Buran Alpha Mission thread

Post by Mark »

Diipaxa Minor Facility-Cargo Storage Facility

Nelson was beginning to get nervous. They had been waiting nearly twenty minutes for their contact to arrive. The Captain and T'varaan stood waiting calmly. Federov seemed like he was trying to keep his eyes everywhere at once, a feeling that Nelson could relate too. Ever since they got off the shuttlepod, Nelson had the feeling that they were being watched. There was nothing concrete about the feeling, but it was that same tickling sensation at the base of his neck that saved him several times in the past from ambushes and even a sniper. He was just about to suggest they leave for the third time when he heard a faint sound coming from the other end of the warehouse. Narrowing his eyes, he tried to make out any shapes in the gloom, and suddenly picked out motion from behind one of the crates.

A robed and hooded figure stepped forward and said, "Captain Chinatsu, I presume?"

"You would be?" the Captain responded.

"A friend" was the mysterious reply.

Nelson and Federov exchanged glances. Both men knew something was wrong here, but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Moving slowly and casually, Nelson set his back against a wall of crates, while Federov moved slightly closer to the rest of the party.

"You have the information that we've been looking for?" the Captain asked.

"Certainly." The figure responded, holding up a PADD. "It's all yours."

A soft beeping tone sounded from the Captain's communicator. With an irritated look, she snapped it open and answered "Chinatsu here."

Some young and green crewman was manning the Buran's com station and excitedly announced, "Captain, we just received a one word text message from an untraceable source. It reads "Ambush!"

Nelson had two thoughts as he instinctively drew his pistol. The first was that he was going to throttle that idiot if they ever got out of this. The second was that you'd figure Starfleet would have come up with some way to pass secure messages to its landing parties by now.

Thugs erupted from all corners of the warehouse, with their green skin flashing in the dim light of the facility.

"Capture them all!" ordered the mysterious figure.

"Fall back!" Chinatsu ordered, as Nelson and Federov opened fire.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Crewman Westman walked slowly through the corridors of the mining facility hoping to spot something that he could buy, borrow, or take. He quickly spotted a dim light through a side door. Of course he was too curious to pass it up, so he went in. Once he got through the door, it instantly closed behind him. He pulled out a flashlight and shone it throughout the room; he saw a green figure in the corner. The green figure walked slowly towards him, "Why did you come in here?" the figure asked.
Not sure how to answer Westman just asked "How can I get out of here?" The figure went for his pocket as if to pull a weapon, instinctively he tried to go for the door, but moved too slow, the figure shot him and then pulled him into a second room, and sealed the door behind him.

::Two hours later::
Westman opened his eyes and didn't realize where he was, then remembered the incident, "Hello?" he called tirelessly.
A mysterious voice just told him to be quiet. "Your voice is annoying me."
"So let me go and it won't annoy you." Westman said, hoping he might illicit a useful response.
The figure then approached him. "Your captain, first officer, and two security officers have been confined, we have gotten no response out of them; maybe if you help us we will let you go."
"Or you would just shoot me again, that sounds a lot more likely from you."
"Well, we'll give you a few hours to think about it, then we'll question you again. Maybe your response will be more helpful."
The lights in the room turned on as the man walked toward the door. There were two armed guards at the door; after he left, they followed.
Then the lights began to dim, and an odd blue gas began to fill the room.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Westman began to wake and his captor was standing over him waiting for him be fully coherent.
"Ready to talk yet?"
"Nah, in about five minutes I should have a whole MACO squadron breaking down that door behind you. Don't worry, they shoot to kill, it won't hurt too much."
The Orion now began his continual glances back at the door, just making sure it was still closed.
"How would they know you were here?"
"Before I came in I started a looping message on all frequencies, they probably got it already. So beware, that door may go down at anytime."
The Orion turned around for just a couple seconds too long. Westman planted his feet firmly on the ground, lifted the chair, and swung his body around and hit the Orion right below the knees, and shattered the old chair. "Wow, these guys'll listen to anything." He bent down and grabbed the Orion's weapon from his holster. He then went to the door, trying to figure out the controls, it opened and the guards were standing right there, with their weapons down. He pulled up the pistol and shot one and whacked the other over his head.
He then found all of the things that he had brought with him and began to walk out of the door. "I wish that I could understand this panel. Oh well" he impatiently shot the panel, and the door opened. Then he walked out of the room, and continued scavenging what he could get his hands on.
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bursting into the engineering department, Harvey bellowed, "Sparky! Grab some containment bottles. Tap off five decaliters of energetic plasma, pronto."

"Aye, si- Har- Mr. Fulton," came the nervous reply. Harvey sat at a console and began to compile his report when he saw the duty officer's announcement about losing contact with the captain's party.

A sudden thought came to Fulton, and he buzzed the bridge. "Has Westman reported in?"

There was a brief pause before the answer came, "No, sir. There's still 15 minutes until his next check-in- "

"Patch me through to his communicator. NOW." There was a brief hiss of static, then an echoing channel opened. "Westman?" Harvey hollered. "What's your status?"

"Recently escaped," said Westman. "I had been kidnapped, but I- "

"Great," Fulton interrupted, "you can buy me a drink and tell me the whole story later. Right now, you have 15 minutes to get to the shuttlepod. Can you pilot that thing?"

"Umm... no, not really."

"Alright, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it."

"Sir?!"

"Just get your butt in that pod. Fulton out." Harvey cut the channel and opened a new one. "Sergeant Monroe? We have a rescue to perform. Pick four men - hopefully you have one who can pilot a shuttle - and meet me in the transporter room in ten minutes."

"The transporter room?" Monroe asked suspiciously.

"Did I stutter? Ten minutes." Fulton hit the intercom one more time. "Bridge? Have the transporter programmed with the captain's communicator position."

"The transporter?" came the puzzled reply.

"What is with people today? Yes, the damned transporter!" Harvey closed the channel and bent to work over his desk.

Harvey found four MACO's and Sgt. Monroe in the transporter room. "Can one of you fly a shuttle?" he asked brusquely. One of the men raised his hand; Harvey nodded and walked by him to check the settings on the transporter controls.

"Per your orders, sir," said the transporter technician.

"Great," Harvey muttered, "let's hope the thing works."

"What?" asked Monroe as his men looked at the transporter platform nervously.

"Nothing," Fulton answered. "Here's the deal - this will buy us a few moments if the captain is being held under guard." Harvey unslung a satchel and produced a cube-shaped device, roughly 1/3 of a meter on each side. "It's a flash-bang generator, but it will affect our people as much as anyone else. Once our folks are clear, one of you will each grab the captain, T'Varaan, and Federov. We'll use their comms to bring you back. Pilot-boy and the last one of you will get Lt. Nelson and rendezvous at the shuttle with crewman Westman - he'll be there in five minutes."

One of the MACO's took a deep breath and began to speak. "We're taking a round trip on that thing?"

Duty replaced unease in Monroe's mind. "That man's collar says lt. commander!" he barked, pointing at Fulton. "Did he ask for your opinion?"

"No, sarge," said the young man sheepishly.

"Damn straight," Monroe replied.

"Thank you, sergeant," Harvey said. "Don't worry, I'll work your transport myself. Now get ready - you've got to be away within 15 seconds of the device." Harvey arranged the machine on the transporter pad while Monroe arrayed his men, planning on staying groundside with his pilot. Suddenly Fulton dashed behind the console and began to work the controls. The little device started to hum as it disappeared in a blue haze. "Now!" Fulton yelled, and the five men jumped up on the pad.

45 seconds later, Harvey began to acquire a lock on the team's comm signals. One... two... and a message: "No positive lock." He cocked an ear and bent low over the console, ending up looking at the pedestal underneath. Satisfied, he stood up and aimed a kick at the location he had studied. The console chirped and then read: "Three positive locks." Harvey worked the slides on the control panel and three sets of figures coalesced on the platform. Constantly adjusting to keep each pair separate from each other, Fulton was finally rewarded with the sight of three officers accompanied by three MACO's holding on for dear life. "Report!" he barked.

One of the MACO's blinked and stood up. After satisfying himself that he had survived, he said, "Your machine worked - no initial resistance. We got the captain's party easily. Sarge ran into some trouble with a couple of the big green beasts, but the lieutenant recovered quickly and threw himself at them. Sarge got away to meet your crewman, but..."

"But WHAT, man?"

"Well... they got Lt. Nelson."

Harvey's face set into a grim mask. "Get them to sick bay," he said, indicating the rescued officers, "and brief them as soon as they recover."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Diipaxa Minor Facility-Cargo Storage Facility

"Damn it" Nelson thought, "This is going bad really quick. Maybe next time they'll listen to me when I say something is wrong."

The landing party was surrounded on all sides by decently armed Orion thugs. More than he could conveniently count in the dim lighting. And much to the Captain's chagrin, they had some sort of scrambling device in place, which blocked their scanners and communicators. Nelson and Federov had beaten back the first assault with the rest of the team providing cover, and then overturned some crates to act as a makeshift palisade. They were trapped, cut off, surrounded, and quickly exhausting the power of their sidearms.

"This would be an ideal situation for one of Harvey's new toys" Nelson thought, checking the power indicator of his weapon. Less than half a charge remained.

Captain Chinatsu called out to Nelson, from the side she covered. "Lieutenant, we need to get out of here NOW!"

She then half joked, "If you have any suggestions, I promise, this time I'll listen."

"Well ma'am," Nelson replied as he let off another burst at a mean looking Orion with a scar down his face, "We could always try yelling for help really loudly."

"Everett, you're a smartass. Has anyone ever told you that before?" the Captain asked.

"Once or twice, ma'am." Came his chuckled reply.

Federov hollered over the confusion, "We could always try praying!"

Nelson, being from a religious household did just that, "Father, deliver us from evil, so I can hurt a young and dumb communications officer."

Just then, a blue sparkling light could be seen right by the exit. It coalesced into five distinct shapes, all armed to the teeth. The rescue party used surprise to their advantage as they hit the Orions from behind, clearing a way to the exit.

"It worked." Federov said. "Who'd have thought?"

"Most unexpected and impressive timing." T'varaan said in a deadpan tone.

Monroe and his team hopped over the barricade, reinforcing the landing party, lending their own firepower, forcing the Orions to take cover.

"Top," Nelson said to Monroe "You sure know how to make an enterence!"

With a tight grin, Monroe replied, "Thank Fulton. None of us had any idea there was anything wrong. We didn't even know we'd lost communications with your party."

Captain Chinatsu announced, "A certain communications officer is going to helping Max roll sushi for a month for this."

With a laugh, Nelson announced, "Time to go!"

Turning to his MACOs, Nelson ordered "Get the officers out of here first. Conrad, post up over by the Captain's position. Top, you take over Federov's. We'll lay down suppressive fire to cover their escape. We'll then fall back, and make our own way out. MOVE!"

The MACOs covered the Starfleet personnel on there way to the exit. The three remaining MACOs opened up with everything they had, for 30 seconds, forcing all the Orions down behind cover.

"Fall back!" Nelson ordered.

The three MACOs began to slowly walk backwards, making their own way to the exit. They were in sight of the exit, when, out of nowhere a blast of energy took Conrad in the leg, who went down screaming. Monroe raised his rifle, and blasted the Orion who had climbed on top of the crates right between his eyes. Just then, a thick board struck Monroe in the back of his head, knocking him to his knees and dazing the man. Nelson wasted no time in placing two rounds in the middle of the aliens chest.

"There are just too many of them." Nelson realized.

Two more Orions stepped out and grabbed Monroe by either arm. Nelson aimed at the first, and squeezed the trigger, only to hear the power cell click empty. Wasting no time, he flung the pistol into the right Orions face, breaking its nose. He howled in pain and released his grip on the First Sergeants arm to hold his ruined face. Nelson sprinted forward, and with a VERY ungraceful move, punched the other big alien directly in the throat. He gagged and fell, his windpipe crushed. Then, for good measure, Nelson snatched the board off the ground and broke it over the first Orion's head, dropping him as well.

Nelson pulled Monroe to his feet by the back of his shirt bellowing "On your feet!"

Monroe seemed to shake off his dizziness at the parade field command.

Nelson grabbed Conrad's weapon, and gestured to the wounded MACO, "Get him out of here Top."

"But what about you Sir?" Monroe asked.

"First man in, last man out. Remember?" Nelson said, squeezing off a burst to keep the Orions at bay.

"But Sir, you should ." Monroe began.

"MOVE MACO!!!" Nelson bellowed

The First Sergeant draped the injured Private over his shoulder, and made his way to the exit, with Nelson back peddling coving their withdrawal. Monroe got Conrad clear, and was about to go back in after Nelson when all at once the MACO commander was swarmed by a group of four burly Orions.

From under the tangle of bodies, Nelson barked "Get back to the ship, THAT'S AN ORDER!"

Monroe had no choice. He had his orders and a wounded man. He made his way to the shuttlepod, hating himself for doing it, but swearing to come back for the LT.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lieutenant Federov patiently sat through Doctor mac Daire's examination while ruminating on their situation.

"Well, for a group that has just been shot at, you're all in remarkably good shape." said the Doctor.

"Why thank you" replied Capt. Chinatus magnanomously, "Now what the hell happened?" Lieutenant Diego arrived from the bridge, so Doctor Mac Daire gestured for him to continue the briefing.

"Roughly 5 minutes before we contacted you, we were monitoring you're progress and noticed at least half a dozen alien biosigns converging on you location. We then received an anonymous text-only tip telling us you were heading for an Ambush. That's when Ensign Desoto contacted you, hoping to get to you before the aliens did." The lieutenant looked around ruefully, "obviously that didn't work."

"You're damn right it didn't" stated Federov, "The young ensign nearly got us killed quicker when he contacted us while the Captain was "negotiating" with one of the aliens. Thanks to Harvey, most of us made it out but they got Lt. Nelson."

"I was just about to ask how to get him back Lieutenant." stated Captain Chinatsu, "What do we know about the facility Lieutenant?" she continued, turning to Diego.

"Well ma'am, after the rescue they put up some sort of energy field over the facility. We can track activity via the main sensors, but the finer resolution transporter sensors can't get through so we can't use that trick again. Also, they seem to have some sort of mostly automated anti-air system in place. They're using some sort of advanced plasma cannon, almost like our phase cannons. A shuttlepod would be smoked before it got near."

Federov began looking thoughtful, "Is there anyway to slip in under their sensor coverage?" He asked.

It was sub-Commander T'Vaaren who replied, "With such an antiquated array it may be possible, but only if the object were smaller than a shuttlecraft."

"How much smaller?"

"What do you suggest Lieutenant?" T'vaaren replied with the raised eyebrow Vulcans seem to have perfected, "we jump out of a torpedo tube?" Federov began to get a slight glint in his that suggested that was exactly what he suggested.

He walked over to the wall comm unit and said, "Federov to Harvey, please meet me in the Hanger ASAP. Thank you." and with that he left sickbay. The remaining officers exchanged a look before following.

Mac Daire exited his office and shouted after them, "While you are cleared for duty it would be nice if someone asked before they left sickbay!" he then rolled his eyes and resumed his journal reading.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Harvey stood in the hangar, switching his gaze from Federov to the pair of shuttlepods and back, while the lieutenant outlined his plan for Nelson's rescue. When Federov finished, Harvey nodded solemnly, walked over to the intercom panel on the wall, and rang sickbay. "Dr. MacDaire? I think we have a case of PTSD here."

"No," Federov insisted, "with your help this can be a viable plan."

Fulton looked dubious, but cancelled the call. "Throwing people out of a shuttlepod and trying to land them on-target through a hail of fire is a 'viable plan,' is it?"

"What do you propose, then?" asked Federov, becoming frustrated with Fulton's skeptical tone. "We need to insert a team to get Nelson back, but landing them in a shuttle is out of the question. We can't use the transporters because we can't get a location lock through the energy screen over the last detected location of Nelson's comm."

"To be honest, I'd say-"

"Writing him off is NOT an option, Fulton," Federov interrupted firmly.

"Very well, then," Harvey responded plainly. "Let's break this down. First, we need to draw fire away from the team."

"Perhaps the other shuttle can be used to that effect."

"Hmmm...," Harvey mused absently, "OK, then we need to either protect the cockpit to hell and back, or rig it to fly remotely." He perked up and continued, "Fly remotely... that's not bad... OK, we'll see. Next, we need to find a way to get the team on the ground without turning them into jelly. They'll have picked up enough speed by the time the atmosphere is thick enough for a parachute, that opening the chute will tear them apart. Maybe an inverse function of the plating..." Fulton dug through his pockets until he found a small notebook and old-fashioned pencil and began scribbling notes.

Federov scowled. "Maybe we can insert the team low enough to not worry about jumping from too high. That would help get us under some of the anti-air fire, also."

"Fine, then," Harvey answered irritably. He didn't like to be interrupted by things as silly as other people's opinions when he was deep in thought. "We'll insert them lower, and there won't be time for parachutes to function. How's that?"

"I see your point," Federov grumbled, stung by Fulton's sarcasm. "Go on."

"Last, we'll need a way of getting them back. I have to admit, I'm a little stumped on that score." Harvey peered at Federov, then said, "By the look on your face, you don't have much to add on that count either. Maybe if your team carried focused beacons for a transporter lock..." Harvey began scribbling again.

"Transporters again?" Federov groaned.

"Holy hopping snot, what is it with the transporters?! We used them round-trip last time and I haven't killed anyone yet, right?"

"Right - not yet."

Harvey ignored the comment. "Alright, so we've got to rig a decoy shuttle; work on some kind of personal 'gravity brake' for the team; and set up some kind of sensor lock for retrieval." He looked up at Federov and said, "OK - I'll let you know when I'm done."

"Wait a minute!" Federov yelled. "I'm going to..." His voice trailed off as Harvey's back receded out the door.

"Westman!" Harvey wailed into the intercom at his desk in the engineering room. "Engineering, on the double!"

"Here, sir." Westman's head poked up from behind a computer console.

"Dammit, boy, don't sneak up on people like that," Harvey said crossly. Westman was about to say something about not having "sneaked" at all, but decided against it. "We've got some jobs to do that might be up your alley," Fulton continued. "By the way, shouldn't you be resting, or getting treated, or something?"

"I'm fine," Westman responded. "The best relaxation I can think of after what happened is to get back to work."

"Good. When we're done here, you'll be so relaxed that you'll be in a coma." Harvey tersely explained as much of the situation as he knew. "Here's what we need from you. One shuttle has to act as a decoy for the shuttle inserting the team. Problem is, decoys usually do what they're supposed to - draw fire. Can you rig something to fly it remotely or robotically?"

"Yes... yeah, I think I can," Westman replied, gears already grinding in his brain. "I-"

"Great," Harvey interrupted. Now, I'm gonna be working on some sort of 'gravity brakes' for the team to deploy from the upper atmosphere. Can you figure out some sort of modification for the environmental suits to compensate for acceleration and pressure differentials? No use getting the guys on the ground alive if they'll be unconscious or have aneurysms."

"Hmmm... different application," Westman mused absently, "but a similar sort of reactive heuristic as an evasive rubric for the shuttle... yeah, I could do it... I might need Dr. MacDaire's input on monitoring devices..."

"Use whoever you need, on my authority." Harvey paused and snorted, "'My authority.' Ha! A warp-engine tinker from the UESPA is throwing his weight around on a commando mission! My pop would get a kick out of that! Anyway, let's get to work - we've got about 5 hours total. Sparky! Get a pot of coffee on!"

"Ummm..." came the reply from the bowels of the engine room, "we don't have a coffeemaker down here, sir."

"Geez! Then make one! Aren't you supposed to be an engineer?"

Four and a half hours later Harvey appeared in the captain's mess; hunched, haggard, and bearing a heavy 5-o'clock shadow. Chinatsu, T'Varaan, and Federov were arrayed at the table waiting for him. Arching an eyebrow, T'Varaan said, "You might have cleaned up before joining us, lieutenant commander."

Exhaustion and caffeine overload shattered Fulton's patience. "And you might make yourself useful, dandelion-eater. Here," he continued unapologetically as he tossed a bundle of narrow panels approximately 1/3 of a meter long to her, "calibrate these to the targeting sensors. They're transporter beacons - if the shuttle is unavailable for retrieval, these things will allow the transporter to get positive locks on our people through the interference."

"They'll allow safe transport?" Chinatsu asked.

"Safer than staying down there," Harvey replied. "This," he went on as he unslung the heavy-looking pack from his back, "is what I call a 'grav-chute.' It uses the same technology as our grav-plating to produce a local field in opposition to the planet's gravity. It's not powerful enough to land someone, but it should be more than sufficient to allow for safe parachuting."

"Should be?" T'varaan asked. "Has it not been tested?"

"Didn't I tell you to do something?" Harvey asked. "Anyway, the chutes will be fine. I just jumped off the third-tier catwalk in the engine room with one on before coming up here."

Federov asked, "Won't there be excessive forces on the jumpers?"

"Very good," Harvey said. "I've got someone working on that. Westman is rigging up a shuttle to fly unmanned as your decoy, as well as modding the environmental suits to protect the team from excessive g's. Now that you mention it..." Harvey crossed to the wall and punched the intercom button. "Westman! Time's up!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Diipaxa Minor Facility-Unknown Location (to Nelson)

As Nelson slowly awakened, the first thing he realized was that his arms were bound over his head, and he was suspended from the ceiling. The pain in his shoulders was intense, but didn't overshadow the pain in the rest of his body. Looking around, he saw a half a dozen burly Orion thugs, two of those Orion slave women, and the familiar hooded figure.

"Feeling better?" the mystery figure asked

With an exaggerated stretch of his neck, Nelson replied "Actually, I am. An afternoon nap is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for asking."

Nodding, the figure said "I can appreciate bravado, especially when one is in your position. I deeply wish that you would make this easy on yourself, although I can tell just from looking at you that you won't."

With a mock look of regret, Nelson replied "You know how it goes."

"Indeed I do." The figure replied. "The very least you can do is tell me your name, human. I believe that is acceptable information."

With a chuckle the MACO replied "Sure, why not? Name, rank, and service assignment are they only things we CAN share." Then he snapped out "Everett E. Nelson, Second Lieutenant, Military Assault Command Operations!"

"Very well, then." The hooded figure said. "What is the ship you are attached too? What is its name and class?"

"The USS Tinkerbell" Nelson replied, "It's a new Peter Pan Class Starship."

"And what is the location of the Tinkerbell, Lieutenant?" the figure asked

"Close" Nelson replied.

"How close?" was the response.

Looking around furtively, as if making sure nobody else was listening, Nelson replied "In your ass."

The figure stood silent of a moment, then unleashed two furious blows at Everett's stomach. A strong man can usually tighten his gut and stand one punishing blow, but two rapid fire punches like that was enough to make the MACO vomit. While he was still heaving, the two Orion slave women approached, and cut all of his clothing away with deadly looking knives, leaving him hanging completely naked. One of the women reached out admiringly and toyed with his genitals for a moment before retreating again.

"What is your mission?" the figure asked

"We're looking for the Emerald City." Nelson relpied.

"Where is that?" his tormentor asked "On Romulas?"

"No." Nelson said with a grin. "On Oz."

With a sneer in his voice the other asked "And just where is this Oz?"

"I dunno" Nelson replied "That's why we have to follow the yellow brick road."

This time, a searing burn tore its way down Everett's back, as one of the Orion women cut him from shoulder to hip with one of those blades. He bit back a scream, but still paled.

"Move him" the figure in the hood ordered. "Put him in the chair."

Roughly, he was removed from the hook and tied to the chair, his arms and legs each bound individually to the chair. He could feel the blood running down his back beginning to pool making his seat slippery.

"Lieutenant" his interrogator whispered "I just want you to know, that as one soldier to another I take no joy in this. But you understand duty. That much I've already seen for myself. For that, you have my respect. There is no need for this to continue, just answer a few simple questions, and I can arrange for you to escape. You need not suffer any public shame. Nobody ever need know what passed here between you and I but us."

Assuming a bored expression, Nelson remarked "You're breaking the momentum. A good interrogation has a certain build up and flow but if you keep chattering, we're NEVER going to get ANYWHERE!"

One of the big Orion thugs stepped up and unleashed a powerful punch to the side of Everett's face. Ev rolled with the punch as best he could, but still tasted blood. Spitting, he said "Come on man. Don't you even know how to throw a punch? You've got to follow through!"

The Orion swung again, this time following Nelson's advice, and the Lieutenant rocked back in his chair and hit the ground. In a dazed voice he said, "Yeah! That's what I'm talking about."

Two other thugs picked him up and began to pummel him. And that sadistic bitch would step in every so often and cut him. And the questions continued. He felt the ribs on his right side fracture, and then break. He spit out two of his back teeth after a fierce barrage to his face, which also mashed his nose. He had his face opened up with surgical precision from eyebrow, down along the cheek, and down to his chin. They kicked him in the balls.

He eventually lost track of the questions, and finally couldn't even answer if he wanted too. They gave him drugs to keep him conscious, but experience told him at this rate he wouldn't survive this abuse much longer. Finally, they stopped beating him. Somehow, he had managed to not share what little he knew, or more importantly, what they DIDN'T know.

Although barely conscious he could still hear, and his ears picked up when he heard another door open and a voice with a similar sounding cadance to that of the hooded man spoke to him in an alien language Nelson had never heard before, asking what sounded like questions.

The other replied in the same language, none of it making any sense to the MACO. Until he keyed in on one word he thought he recognized. "Nimbus." He had no idea why that one word would stick with him, but it did. Could they be talking about the Nimbus system, lying near the outer reaches of explored space, in what was rumored to be Romulan territory? Rallying what little was left of his strength; he knew he had to hold on. To him it was a simple fact that the Captain, crew, and especially his MACOs wouldn't leave him behind. Before, he would have told them to stay away and forget about him. it didn't make any sense to risk multiple lives just to save his, but now, with this possible information, it was ESSENTIAL he live to get it to the Captain, and that grated him. He didn't feel he was worth more than anybody else, but if this was a real lead, then this information MIGHT just be worth more than a couple of lives. And he hated that.

Sitting there, raging against the risk others would take to save him, all he could think was "Son of a bitch must pay!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mackenzie was sitting in the Demo Stores with his feet up smoking and reading an old mens magazine, the Chief Engineer had been in earlier to pick his brain in regards to Airborne operations and jumping in particular and then tear-assed his way out of Stores mumbling to himself. John knew all that had to do with rescuing his Lt. who had somehow got himself captured but no one had bothered to load him onto the mission that saw the Lt. lost or fill him in on the recent particulars. Demo was an odd position on board ship, hardly anyone came to see him and as long as he showed up to PT every morning and put in the odd appearance at O Groups, he was pretty much free to do what he wanted.

Just in case though, he had prepped some charges, grenades and general gear in case he was needed and prepped his jump ruck. He had even tossed in a few non-standard items he had put together in his off hours, a few incendiaries, a torch and a cutting saw. He had it all stacked in the corner of the room, waiting to go. Though he wondered if there would actually be a rescue attempt, he considered officers to be by and large, expendable. Though he was sure the Captain and other officers thought otherwise.

As an after thought, he shoved a couple of containers of hooch into the ruck...just in case they needed to start a fire.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

"Fourteen bottles of scotch on the wall, fourteen bottles of scotch. Take one down, pass it around, thirteen bottles of scotch on the wall."
After sorting through his toolkit, folding his clothes, attempting to organize his personals yet failing miserably, and nearly singing the entirety of that insipid song, Darwin was quite bored.
He had gotten off shift two hours ago and Fulton insisted he take a break. Now he was, in his own distorted opinion, on the verge of losing his mind.
Shravak was still helping Westman with whatever Harvey had them working on. Good thing too; he probably would have shot Darwin after the third line.
Looking around his room again, his eyes came to rest on the notepad next to his tribble. Darwin went over to his desk, got out a pen, and began to write.

"Dear Mom;
I was meaning to write to you after I returned to Earth, but I had been immediately reassigned. Now I'm serving on the Buran, an NX class ship. Her engine room is huge compared to the Hatheway. She's much faster too.
On to the important stuff; how are you doing? I got you're last letter, I think. Unless you have another one waiting for me. If you need me to come home to help, I can get emergency leave and be back after this mission. I'm sure the captain would understand, Dad being sick and all. How's Katherine? You mentioned she was getting married, but didn't tell me to who. Is there a reason for that? You know I'd trust in her judgment, she was always the smart one. I hope I don't miss the wedding. And also, please stop asking me to meet Katherine's friends. Its rather awkward. I'm sure she'll agree with me on that one. Even if you don't want me to take leave when the mission is over, I'll still stop by for a bit next time we're near Earth.
Which will have to be pretty soon. We were in a nasty battle. I can't tell you much, but I was really busy that day. Curse of being an engineer I guess. Now, before you even ask: yes I'm ok, no I didn't get hurt in the battle, and no, neither did the furball.
Chief Fulton is an... odd guy. He seems to hate formality (think complete opposite of Lieutenant Johnson). He's very competent too, which seems to be a first for me. Four ships, and only one with an intelligent chief. His first name is Harvey (which he insists I call him; yes, he's that informal!). He even let me be in charge once.
The chef (Max is all I know him as) is great. He makes wonderful food. But not better than yours, of course.
Amy (one of the nurses, I haven't actually met either doctor, which I guess is a good thing) is really nice. I met her right after the battle. She came to engineering to help with the several injuries. And don't even start, regulations are clear on crew relationships.
Shravak, my roommate, is an Andorian. He's a very skilled engineer, but rather quiet. Don't know much about him, haven't had a chance to talk much.
Sparky (another engineer, good at curcuitry) is nice. We eat breakfast in engineering usually. And yes, Fulton allows it. He said "As long as no one catches you, it isn't a problem." He even had Sparky install a coffeepot. Sparky's a nickname by the way.
I haven't had much time to socialize with the rest of the engineering staff (or the rest of the crew). I know most off them, but only what they do. Not much more. Like Westman is a computer expert. Of course, that doesn't stop Fulton from using him for other work. He even had the MACO's fixing things. Haven't met any of them. Though they did get a new CO recently. The first one died in the battle. Though from what I hear, it wasn't a grievous loss. Rumor is she was... unpleasant. Something about a whole squad ending up in sickbay during training. Glad Fulton isn't like that.
Well, I think that's everything. I will copy this into the computer and send it as soon as we have subspace clearance. You should get it about three days after I send it... if the relays are all working. Give Katherine my regards.
Oh, and the furball says hi.
Love,
Richard"

Darwin put the pad and pen away and finally was able to fall asleep.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Westman slowly walked over to Harvey, he barely mumbled a few words before Harvey had spun around and nearly taken Westman out, "What the Hell!?, Don't ever sneak up on someone like that, your bound to get yourself killed that way!, So what did you need Lieutenant?"

"I'm not completely sure of what I'm supposed to be doing, I understood the shuttle part, that was easy as pie, but I'm gonna need some more information on the suits...?"

Harvey just looked at Westman waiting for him to speak, he didn't, "Ok, spit it out"

"Oh sorry sir, I need to know how low they will be dropped from, how fast the brake will work, the planets average air pressure, and also where the closest head is?"

"Well, most of that I can answer, except the environmental particulars. They will be dropped from about 2 kilometers, give or take about 600 meters each way of course, and the brake should work one it is pulled with at most a 1 second lag, and the closest head would be outside of Engineering and down the corridor. Once you talk to the Science department and get your information you need, get back to work, we only have another 3 hours at most."

"Yes sir, Also, what will I be doing once I'm done with the suit, sir?"

"Your going to head off to your quarters and rest."

"Ok, sir" he said as he did an about face and headed for the door of Engineering to go to the head, then go to the Bridge to get the Science departments input.

Westman, after going to the head, headed up to the Bridge to speak with Sub-Commander T'Varaan

As he entered the Bridge he summoned the Sub-Commander towards him.
"What information do you have on the planet, I need to know the median pressure, temperature, everything you can give me will be helpful."

The Sub-Commander grabbed a PADD off of the console and handed it to Westman, "Here is all the atmospheric data that has been collected, hopefully it will help"

"Yes, it will be very useful, thank you"

Westman walked off the Bridge and began heading back towards Engineering.
Upon entering Engineering, Harvey called him over, "We're gonna have a problem with a 2 km jump. We just found that they have very good surveillance that we overlooked before, but they are short-range, but they'll spot us in an instant if we're that low."

"That low!?" Westman almost screamed, "That means I'll have to recalibrate it for a higher jump height, How high will it have to be?"

"At the least, it'll have to be 4 km, but that's pulling it rewally close to the sensor grid, I would much rather have them drop from about 6 or 7 km."

"Make it 5, if they don't drop from that precise height and pull the Grav-chute too late, they could very well die, at about 1.5 km, they're going to have to pull their Grav-chutes. I'll install a warning system as well, to give them a HUD of their distance to the ground, that'll be easy enough."

"Ok, thank you Lieutenant, if this works it may become standard issue for any recon missions. We only have an hour and a half left though, work fast."

"I'll do my best sir, and thank you for your confidence in me, oh by the way, the shuttle has been outfitted with a .0001 millisecond response time, so basically it can be flown in real time, and I outfitted the other shuttle for the drop."

"Thank you for taking the initiative Lieutenant, now get to work on that suit."

"Yes sir" Westman responded, turned about, and went to work on the suit.
The world ended

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

After finishing work on the suits, Westman went back to his quarters to do more studying on the weapon he found.
While he was looking it over he realized that there was no way he was going to be able to figure much other than the circuitry of it, he was sure he could do that, but working on the connections was his weakness in electronics.

He hurried off to engineering to find Darwin, the one engineer he was sure could help, and that he was sure wouldn't tell anyone about it if he told him not to.

He walked up to Harvey. "Sir..." Harvey spun around, "God kid, when will you learn, do not do that!"
"Sorry sir, I was just wondering if you knew where I could find Darwin, I need to talk to him about something."
"Last time I checked he was off duty, so my best guess would be his quarters."
"Thank you sir. Oh, by the way, the suits are ready and I made the design to be a variable pressure release; they will have to set the release height before they release. It'll give them a very clean fall."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Darwin, are you in there?" he called into the crew quarters.

"Yeah, I'll be with you in a second" he said sleepily. The doors to Darwin's quarters opened, and Westman walked in.
As Westman entered he noticed the tribble, "Is that your pet?" Westman asked slightly dumbfounded by it.
"Oh, crap, um... no it's... yes, it's my pet. I figured as long as no one knew I had it no one would care, and it's worked out pretty well so far." Darwin said, a little worried.

"Ok, I won't tell anyone about it; as long as it doesn't bother me, I don't care that it's there."

"So, why are you here?" Darwin asked, changing the subject.

"I have a proposition for you: I have a device that I can decipher the coding for and everything, I just can't figure the parts out for it. Would you care to help me out with that, it's in my quarters."

"I guess I could help... I'm probably not the best man to do this though, couldn't you just ask Harvey to help?" Darwin ask, slightly confused.

"Nah, everyone else is really busy with the jump, didn't want to take them away from that important stuff."

Leaving Darwin's quarters, the two headed over to Westman's room.

They entered Westman's quarters and Darwin saw the 'project' he was referring to, as it was connected to Westman's computer console and torn open.
"This must be what you were talking about. Where did you find this, it seems like military grade tech?"

"I found it when I was captured by the Orions, this was the weapon they were using. So maybe if we could figure out some way of counteracting the weapon frequency of the pistol we could make the mission much more of a success."

Darwin frowned. "This doesn't look anything like an Orion weapon."

Westman shrugged. "Well, maybe whoever wanted the Orions to capture us gave them weapons too."

"Shouldn't we tell the Captain or security about this, then we could do it a lot more efficiently, and would be following regs."

Westman shook his head. "No, then we would have to go through all the red tape, we don't have the luxury of time here. They have an hour before they head down; we need to get this done now."

"Ok... but I still don't think this is the best idea."

"So. If it saves our men, is it a bad idea. See, it makes perfect sense."

Although not seeing Westman's logic, Darwin went along with him because Westman could easily get furball booted off the ship.
Darwin sighed. "Fine, so what do you need help with?"

"I need to find the power output and scan the weapon as it's firing to determine the best counter for it. How would we go about doing that?"

"We could always fire it off, then we would have both the frequency and power from it."

Westman chuckled. "Only problem with that idea is that we would set off numerous alarms throughout the ship alerting everyone to what were doing, which we don't have time for all that, so best not to do that..."

"Not a problem. The security system only goes off if the power setting is high enough. So if we lower the power, no problem."

"Damn, I should have thought of that, of course, checking power, and then lowering it to about 500W output." He wrote a couple numbers on a sheet of paper.

Then Westman took out a tricorder a tossed it to Darwin. "Scan the pulse when I fire."
Westman fired the weapon, leaving a small mark on the wall.
After firing he took the tricorder from Darwin.

Westman walked over to the console and began a search in the database for the criteria he deemed important, and came up with a material that would provide some protection against the weapon. He also checked if they had any available for use, which, miraculously, they did...
He and Darwin headed down to the cargo bay to find it. They found it within minutes. Hoping no one would notice the missing materials, Westman headed off to engineering, leaving Darwin to cover their tracks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Westman entered engineering Harvey headed towards him. "Lieutenant, you find Darwin?"
"Yes, sir, thank you for the assistance sir, do you mind if I bring the suits down to the cargo bay to modify them a little with something that I found would make them much more efficient in rescuing Everett?"

"Whatever you can do to make it easier is gladly appreciated."

Westman grabbed the suits that he had modified with the pressure gauges, and headed off to the cargo bay. Once he got to the cargo bay he began putting the extra material on them. "There, this should protect them from most of the energy..."

He then took the suits back to engineering and told Harvey everything was set to go...

He finished with only minutes before launch.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The bridge was silent. Only slight panel bleeps interrupted the quiet. It felt to Chinatsu, like the calm before a storm. And she didnt like that feeling. Nagging at the back of her mind was the feeling she was being watched somehow. It wasnt aboard the ship. So where was she being watched from? Outside was the only answer.

"Bridge, Shuttlepod 1. We are standing by for launch, all operatives are secure and the parachute system is in place," Came the hail from the shuttle. Right here and now, she felt like it was the dawn before battle. And she was merely waiting.

"Roger that. Standby to launch, opening launch doors," She replied, nodding to the Tac officer to open them up. A slight hum sounded through the ship, followed by a slight clunk as they opened. "Cleared for launch. Send out shuttlepod two 10 seconds after, we'll use her for interference. Mission is a go, good luck boys."

A console bleeped. Tactical.

"Captain...on screen!"

Before them two shimmering lights appeared, swirling like interstellar energy mists. Each one slowly revealed a sleek, green ship within its shroud. And before anyone could react, they both materialized. Two Romulan vessels of varying design. One, the winged craft that set upon the Enterprise in the minefield some years back. And the other was smaller, similar to the drone ships minus the transmittors and the holoprojectors on the hull.

"Open hailing frequencies. Battlestations." Chinatsu said softly, settling into her chair.

"No response...I'm picking up energy spikes."

The smaller ship broke away, darting toward the shuttles at high rate, while the other broke toward the Buran.

"Full impulse, take us behind that smaller one, Cover their entrance into the atmosphere as much as possible!" she ordered. "Fire at will!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Westman quickly ran to Darwin's quarters as the alert Klaxon sounded loudly.

As he got there Darwin began walking out of his quarters. "Hey, Darwin, I need to ask you something"

"Oh, what do you want now, I'm going on duty soon."

"You can either go to engineering and fix the ship, or help me and save the ship."

"What! How am I supposed to save the ship? By myself?"

Westman chuckled. "No, I'm gonna help, I have all the information I need, but I know nothing about deflectors."

"The deflector? What are we going to do with the deflector, and how is it going to help anything?"

As pulling Darwin along towards deflector control he told him his idea. "We're going to modify the deflector to emit a low band EM field, that should absorb a good amount of shots from them, and it's now or never, we're under attack now." They reached deflector control and hurried inside. "Ok Darwin, nows your time, set up the deflector to emit an EM field."

"Do you have any idea what frequency?"

Westman shrugged. "No real idea, it's a low band frequency, that's all I know. They we're talking about the frequency when I was captured. Just have the EM field cycle through the lower frequency bands, that should be able to stop some of the shots, and mark it when we absorb a shot."

"So you want me to stick it out here the whole battle?"

"Yeah, that's the idea." Westman said while smiling.

Darwin quickly modified the main deflector controls to the needed specifications.
"Ok, the EM field has been set up, it's running now, hopefully we won't blow out the deflector."

"Also, if anything gets absorbed, bring the field frequency in closer to that frequency. Glad you could help me out here." Westman walked out and the door whooshed behind him.
The world ended

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The Romulans were the first to fire, as the smaller ship's disruptors flared to life. Shots skimmed both shuttlepods, but none made direct contact. As the Buran closed on the small vessel, she fired her plasma cannons. Even with the majority of the shots hitting, the Romulan ship did not break off its pursuit.
"Captain, they are not changing course. And the larger vessel is attempting to head us off." the tactical officer stated with unease.
"Keep firing on the smaller ship. We can't let them interfere with the shuttlepods."
Captain Chinatsu was worried. If even the decoy was destroyed before the pods could reach the drop off point, the mission would be in serious jeopardy.
As the Buran cannons continued to pound the small ship, the larger vessel finally opened fire. Four bolts of energy flew towards the Buran. All four made contact, spread across her dorsal hull, severe burns forming.

In the deflector control room, Darwin worked furiously as the disruptors impacted on the hull. After some minor modifications to the newly made EM field, all he could do was wait for more impacts.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.