Tactical War Simulation

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Tactical War Simulation

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So I was recently inspired to try a new kind of battle simulation. We've had the large scale SIM games controlling an entire empire that could stretch for months, and these shorter ship v ship battle sims that last a few weeks and a hand full of turns, I'm looking to try something a little more middle ground. You control an entire military: Naval and Ground based forces and wage a galactic war. Players will be responsible for battle tactics, overall strategy, supply line management, and unit production.

I'm looking for a couple of volunteers that would want to take part. I won't get this started until the current DITL Battle I'm running is over. In the mean time I'm going to finish typing out the rules and working on some in-game mechanics. Anybody interested?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Tactical War Simulation

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So... no politics, taxes, etc.? How would the amount/rate of production of units be determined?

Sounds like it could be cool; I'd just like to know a bit more about it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Sounds like it could be cool; I'd just like to know a bit more about it.
My thoughts exactly. I enjoy strategy games so would probably enjoy this. Just one thing, when is it set? Modern age?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Some politics, but not like it was in the SIM's. Rate of production is fixed by the size of the unit/length of a turn.
i.e.a 1 Battlecruiser can be produced per shipyard per turn, or 6 corvettes could be produced. You don't have the ability to build shipyards/training facilities, those exist of the map and must be captured to be used.

Here's the overview I wrote in my notes:

Overview

Congratulations, you have been promoted to the position of Commander-in-Chief of our military units following the declaration of war. Your objective is simple: destroy the enemy and return our galaxy to peace. The execution is much more complicated. The galaxy is full of many different worlds all with their own politics and feelings toward us, our enemy and the war. You must manage relations with these systems, ensure continuous production of units to fight this war, maintain supply lines to the front, and develop the tactical models that will allow us to crush our enemy. Good luck, you’ll need it.

As for the setting, right now I have it as a futuristic setting (Galactic War with several worlds) however the model could be identically mapped into a modern naval setting in an archipelago, or mapped into a more extensive map with some modifications.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

I think I would find it easier to keep track of if it were set in a modern setting. Mayb for the subsequent ones, have it future, after we know what to do.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Think the format could be used to re-fight the Dominion War? That's something I'd like to try to see SIMmed.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Think the format could be used to re-fight the Dominion War? That's something I'd like to try to see SIMmed.
Maybe. This first iteration is still pretty rough. This version uses raw stat ships (i.e. all Battle Cruisers have the same stats regardless of whose it is) and since the units all have the same stats the facilities aren't unique to each faction. To handle something like that with tens of different classes unique to each race, distinct facilities, and a much more complex mapping structure would take some work. Not undo-able, but it's definably a future project dependent on how this maiden voyage goes.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I am always greatly interested in strategy games, so if there's room in this or subsequent ones I would gladly participate.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I would love this. Most of my questions have been asked and answered already.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm very interested to say the least. I like the idea of replaying a war that's already happened.

Maybe something off the wall like a WWII era naval thing would be great as well. Would RnD be included in this sim?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

No. There is no expansion of power, no addition of classes. It's simply about managing the battlefield and the units you do have.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ground and naval units, air support, etc?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Naval Ships and Armies composed of Armor and Infantry.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This sounds awesome. Either a WW2 one or a modern day game sounds epic, I'd definitely be up for. Sign me up to Britain if it ever comes :wink:
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Argh, why did I forget to mention I want Britain! I'll have think of someone else now.