Wolf 359

Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Wolf 359

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I got two Ambassador's, my favourite Starfleet ship :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Good ships to be sure. We've seen them take a hell of a beating.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Sorry guys I have had technical problems the last few days. Should be up soonish.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No worries, work has slammed me lately so I've been slow on getting back to things on the forum anyways.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Freed up now, just let me know what we need to do.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Okay so got it sorted, I'm not going to do this till the Battle Royal is finished since I am using that as practice to get back into it.

Going to do the basic strategy laid out before, but will have to reroll the ship assignments, but will stay mostly the same.

For this run I am sticking to a 2d map, meaning you only have 4 sides to attack, when I do First Contact I might try to work out a 3d model, but it would add a lot of dificulty.

So I figure I will post this so we can trouble shoot it now and be ready once the battle royal is done.

This is going to be the locational map:-

So that is us looking down on the top of the cube (which cant fire and you cant touch in this model).

Rather than have actual distances there will only be two options in conn phase. In the innner square which is weapons range, in that square you can fire and the Cube can hit you, outside that is a non combat zone where you cant fire and cant be hit. Each Conn phase you can move one unit, from inner to outter, or from side A to side B ect. You cant move from A inner to B outter though. You would have to go from A inner, to A outter, to B outter, to B inner. But the two outside turns you can be doing repairs ect.

Now this is the Cubes map:-

Again my MS paint skill leave a lot to be desired.

Each one of those represent one side of a the cube, a 5x5 area (I will have them labeled A-E and 1-5 (Like a chess board).

So in Conn phase, any ship in the combat square can fire. For the sake of simplicity, considering I am dealing with 40+ ships. Its going to be and all or nothing assult. You cant have one ship aim at multiple areas, but different ships can aim for different area.

So for example:-

The USS Mage in combat zone A, fires all weapons at zone C4.

Each section will take damage until it is first damaged (removing its combat roll what ever it may be), then crippled (Removing its ability to be repaired) and finally destroyed (meaning it is totally burnt out, opening the area behind it for attack)

Each section of the cube will have a function and roll, so each section destoryed lowers it combat effectiveness. Some areas might only have a beam weapon, or a tractor beam, some might have critical components for the Cubes opperation, whos destruction would seriously effect the Cube.

Now obviously you cant reach the inside 3x3 (and finally the single 1x1) zones until the area covering them is totally destroyed.

Now obviously the far right zone of side A is the same Zone as the far left zone of side B. A "damaged" will only affect the facing side it was attacked on, but a Cripple will affect both sides and a destroyed will wipe both out totally. So corners are vunerable.

So obviously Deep isnt here anymore and Spocky said he wants in.

So everyone who wants to ask question (I assume there will be many) can do so. And I will sort out the ships again.

Also I realised it was unfair that I knew the mage was the flag ship. So this time I will let you decide what ship it is (I'll probably name someone, like Tindarian, to name a ship to be the flag and tell all of you but not me) that way I cant unfairly wipe it out early.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Just a quick suggestion, think we could through in an E-B Excelsior variant? They would be from about the right time period and odds are they made more than one.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah sure, I'll work on the ships latter. Hell if someone wants to sort out the fleet we had and fine tune it, then we'll dish out the ships.

Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

For the cube map, is it possible to 'pop off' segments by damaging the sections that they connect to?

I.e. hitting on facing A, and taking out all of column 2. You then open fire on Face B, column 4, taking it out. Would this cause face A, column 1/Face B column 5 to be popped loose, as there is nothing connecting it to the rest of the cube?

Also, technically, since you are only attacking from the sides, the second layer would be 5 tall and 3 wide, and the final would be 5 tall and one wide. If you are planning on a 3-D attack, you'd need 2 more faces (E and F), with their 5x5 and 3x3 map.

For MS Paint, you can just make multiple copies of the respective 5x5 and 3x3 maps, and just copy-paste the best.

How will you avoid all the posters from simply ordering their ships to concentrate all fire on XX segment, similar to Picard in First Contact? Will the Borg redeploy their shields to cover damaged sections, intensify power to non-engaged sections (since the PCs are not firing there, shields can be dropped there), or focus fire on damaged ships in an attempt to take them out with it?
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah good point Coalition.

Will make a new map of the Cube to show it.

On weather you can blow off whole sections... Yes. But depending on the size of the section it could still be somewhat functional. One section by itself would be dead meat, but 3-4 sections blown off in a group, if they had the needed parts, could still function at a reduced capacity.

Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Howa bout for the ships;

Ahwahnee (Cheyenne)
Avenger (New Orleans)
Bellerephon (Nebula sci)
Bonestell (Oberth)
Bournemouth (Galaxy)
Buran (Challenger)
Chekov (Springfield)
Chimera (Nebula Weapon)
Dorset (Ambassador)
Endeavour (Nebula Science)
Firebrand (Freedom)
Gage (Gage)
Gulliver (Constitution Refit)
Hoagland (Miranda Refit)
Hood (Excelsior)
Icarus (Saber)
Ilfracombe (Norway)
Jutland (Miranda)
Kadosca (Ambassador)
Kyushu (New Orleans)
Liberator (Constellation)
Melbourne (Prototype Nebula)
Melbourne (Excelsior)
Newport (Ambassador)
Oberon (Oberth)
Potemkin (Excelsior)
Princeton (Niagara)
Righteous (Excelsior)
Quorn (Oberth)
Roosevelt (Excelsior)
Saratoga (Miranda Refit)
Steamrunner (Steamrunner
Tolstoy (Rigel)
Undine (Oberth)
Victory (Constellation)
Winchester (Miranda REfit)
Xenophon (Excelsior E-B)
Yamaguchi (Ambassador)
Zephyr (Defender)

Good? If anyone wants any different ship classes or names, I could change it.
(Gosh, I started at 7:40. That is 65 minutes!)
Last edited by Spocky on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nitpick: the Neb Melbourne wasn't a weapons-pod subtype, she was what Bernd describes as a "proto-Nebula".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Fixed. Now a Prototype Nebula.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Whats a proto Nebula?

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's the name Bernd gave to the kitbash that was built for the Wolf 359 graveyard scene - the main differences being that it was a full GCS secondary hull rather than the modified version subsequent Nebs had, and it had a couple of smaller secondary nacelles in place of the pod.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.