American Civil War Take 2

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

American Civil War Take 2

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Okay so similar to the DITL National Team Battle, this is open to US DITL'ers.

If your from a border state or an origional non-combatant state, then you can choose your side, unless it's way disproportionate.

So far we have:

Yankees: 4
Staplic
MM&I
Nickswitz
Stitch626

Grey:
Tsukiyumi
Mark (in here for now to even things out some.)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: American Civil War Take 2

Post by stitch626 »

Well, I'm from NY, but if its needed I don't mind switching sides. :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think the Grays should have the NW too. Like the Dakotas and Montana and Utah.

I'm a union guy.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

we'll just wait to even it out....also since the NW wasn't actually part of the war anyone we have from there can choose/be drafted.

Yankees: 5
Staplic
MM&I
Nickswitz
Stitch626
Monroe (may have to switch to the Grey to even things out)

Grey:
Tsukiyumi
Mark (in here for now to even things out some.)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, been thinking this over for the last day or so. I've not got anything solid worked out yet, I've a basic idea that I'd like to toss to you guys to see what you think.

Players take control of an aproximately equal number of states on whichever side.
They get control of all military and economic assets within their territories, and can do whatever they wish with them. Raise new armies, construct fleets, pour money into researching things, etc. If players wish, they can even defect or secede from their nation. Though how much of their troops and territory will follow them in this change of heart is the real question.
The game is more strategy-orientated than combat orientated. Players will generaly direct their armies to engage opposing armies, and whoever's modding the game will work out the casualties on both sides.
The game is turn-based, with each turn lasting a month or so.
The Union objective is the dissolution of the Confederacy.
The Confederate objective is to preserve their own existance. This doesn't necessarily require the destruction of the Union.
Victory need not necessarily be achieved solely through military conquest. Feel free to try and enter diplomatic talks with the opposing side.
Don't piss off the foreign empires too much. You may regret it if they decide to cut trade with you, or even offer military support to your opponents if you seriously infuriate them. Similarly, keeping foreign nations in your good books may be to your benefit.
For simplicity's sake, only the land east of Texas will be involved.
The game will have very few set rules, with most players basicaly having a free run of what to do (within the confines of common sense, that is).

So, thoughts?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I like it.

Any thoughts on production?

The southern states would be able to produce a lot of high value crops and goods (for trade), as well as having a territorial advantage (supply lines), while the North would have an advantage in industry and naval power.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yep, states will be able to produce various goods.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Rochey wrote:Okay, been thinking this over for the last day or so. I've not got anything solid worked out yet, I've a basic idea that I'd like to toss to you guys to see what you think.

Players take control of an aproximately equal number of states on whichever side.
They get control of all military and economic assets within their territories, and can do whatever they wish with them. Raise new armies, construct fleets, pour money into researching things, etc. If players wish, they can even defect or secede from their nation. Though how much of their troops and territory will follow them in this change of heart is the real question.
The game is more strategy-orientated than combat orientated. Players will generaly direct their armies to engage opposing armies, and whoever's modding the game will work out the casualties on both sides.
The game is turn-based, with each turn lasting a month or so.
The Union objective is the dissolution of the Confederacy.
The Confederate objective is to preserve their own existance. This doesn't necessarily require the destruction of the Union.
Victory need not necessarily be achieved solely through military conquest. Feel free to try and enter diplomatic talks with the opposing side.
Don't piss off the foreign empires too much. You may regret it if they decide to cut trade with you, or even offer military support to your opponents if you seriously infuriate them. Similarly, keeping foreign nations in your good books may be to your benefit.
For simplicity's sake, only the land east of Texas will be involved.
The game will have very few set rules, with most players basicaly having a free run of what to do (within the confines of common sense, that is).

So, thoughts?
Except that the Civil War aspect is just a division of teams, I was actually thinking a space battle for this one too. So those who are on the Yankee's team could choose a ship and that team would go against the Grey. It's all space born.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I actually like Rochey's take on it. A territorial battle, ala Risk.

*secretly tries to get Ireland on the side of the South*

:D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I like the idea personally, sounds like it could be a lot of hard work as well as a lot of fun, and I think it would take a long time as well to do so... Which means it could be even more fun.... :D
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

If we have a space civil war battle can we pick between the Merrimack and the Monitor? :P
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yes Monroe, you can, and you will lose either way... :P
The world ended

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Nickswitz wrote:Yes Monroe, you can, and you will lose either way... :P
psst. He's on your side (for now)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

HE will still lose. Doesn't mean that I'll win.
The world ended

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

:lol: