WWIII

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

WWIII

Post by Nickswitz »

I just figured to bring this to it's own thread, (by Mark's request)

Anyone who wants to be in sign up, and anyone who has ideas throw them in here too.

FIrst question I have, will it be using planes, infantry, planes and infantry, tanks, etc. any ideas, toss them in here

Oh, and I credit all this to Staplic
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: WWIII

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Holy Christ, I can't even begin to imagine the sort of stuff you'd need to pull something like this off. The original idea of a redo of the American Civil War was at least doable, if massive in scale.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeahh... difficult, but that's half the fun, making it.
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thinking about it, it may indeed be doable. But it depends on how you plan on doing it.

1) Each player controls a nation, and is free to do with it what they want.
2) The war is decided by a number of arbitrarily decided set-piece battles between nations.

The second one would be a lot easier to do, but rather artificial.
The first one would be a lot more difficult to work stuff out for and very complex, but also very free-style. I'd be rather interested in giving this option a try myself.

If you're going for Option 1, I'd strongly suggest trying the US Civil War as a trial run, as that would include a lot fewer unknowns, and we can work with solid information. Give me a few days and I may even be able to work out a turn-based system (turns lasting, say, a month) over the weekend if you'd like.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I say go for option one, and once you have the basic rules I'll take a look at them and make suggestions, and any corrections needed.
The world ended

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

just an fyi, when I say WWIII I was talking about a space battle, I dubed it WWIII b/c it would have teams based on the nations of the captains...Nick if you want to do an actual WWIII (i.e. physical armies ect.) feel free, my idea was more along the lines of a mix between the current DITL Battle #4 and Teaos' Battle Royal's where your team is the others on from your country and your up against everyone else. Sorry for not clarifying that more.

Just for further explanation, because I know how hard it can be to relay ideas like this, I'll do a quick example:

Staplic, Tsuki, Mark, Seafort, Reliant, Thorin, Rochey, colmquinn, and Shran all sign up.

Each of them picks a ship (possibly might limit it to Federation ships only since it's by nation they'd all have to be Federaton captains, but then again since it's WWIII as a figure only I probably wont). Now we'd have three teams: Team USA, Team Britain, and Team Europe (since we have two Irishmen, and one Dutch, they'd combine to even out teams).

Staplic, Tsuki, and Mark would be Team US, and they would be fighting all other teams, Seafort Reliant, and Thorin would be team Britain, again fighting everyone else, and Rochey, colmquinn, and Sran would be team Europe.

does that make sense?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It does make sense, I would still like to attempt a land battle, as it could be a lot of fun. :mrgreen:
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps it'd be best to split the Civil War Re-enactment off to a different thread, then?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Wasn't that a different idea?
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh, yes. Yes it was. For some reason I got mixed up and started posting here.

Just ignore me. I need sleep. :|
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Sleep, just reboot, it's probably faster... :wink:
The world ended

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well you could do it where hitpoints or hull strength from the ship fighting equates to square kilometers of land and have another stockpile of possible fighting aged men. So say one nation attacks it gains XX land but loses XX men. Do it all based on rolls and what not. Kind of like how Risk is set up but by having land exchange hands it allows for changing boarders. And while men numbers won't be a big issue if things bog down attrition can help.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Okay, Nick I'm going to leave this thread to you to set up a land based WWIII, I'll open up a couple new threads, Civil War in Space, and to lessen confusion, DITL National Team Battle.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, cool, Rochey can set up the rules, and I like that idea Monroe, it could probably work out very easily, I'm figuring the land WWIII will last a good long time, especially if we have millions of army men in each group.
The world ended