Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

Post by sunnyside »

I'm afraid by "all together" I meant they deploy in one spot as a unit.

I guess I didn't say it explicitly but infantry in a unit have to stay within 2" of each other. You can't just send one member of the group off on his own. Largely I think for logistical reasons(if people started moving every model individually on the board even a game this size could require a sleeping bag and some breakfast to complete). Though in reality units tend to stick together and don't just scatter across a battlefield. Anyway this does mean you could tell me to try and keep your guys spread out or tighter together, if you care to speciiy. Otherwise I'll move them around in a typical clump.

Anyway so all three launchers set up in the same area. The only breaking up that can happen with these forces is that the Rhino can move away from the marines inside freely.

Also on infiltrating it isn't kept a surprise in the first turn. They just deploy last and can deploy outside the usual deployment zone. Now putting them at F1 is perfectly fine, just so long as you know you could put them in a range of other spots so long as they are far enough from the Marines. For example I-4 or B-10. I'm not saying those are necessarily spots you want to set up though. I'm just making sure you know you could.

Otherwise deployment seems just fine.
Last edited by sunnyside on Sat May 31, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I knew about the grouping thing. Just didnt think heavy weapons were grouped as such. Very well. I'll place them at D2
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright so I tried to put the setup the way I thought you guys would want it. For example with the launchers juuuuuuust being able to see the end of the Rhino so they can shoot at it, and with squad 1 having some people where they can see through the woods to shoot the plasma gun and Heavy Bolter at things on the other side.

The red colored guys have the special weapons. The glowy line is supposed to represent the sarg of the assault marines with his power sword. And the grey guys are the veteran sarg and the Lieutenant. Hopefully all is well. I suppose if something really really isn't to your liking you could request things being moved around.

Otherwise its time to roll for first turn. Technically the winner can have the other person take the first turn. But in this situation going first very likely the best choice (the game goes 6 turns going last lets you finish things off)

Tsuyukumi rolls a 3, reliant gets a 4.

Ok so reliant gets first turn(presuming he wants it). In case it would come up if you move anybody in a squad with a heavy weapon, the whole squad counts as moving and can't fire the launchers/heavy bolter. Though if you just don't like how I did deployment I could move things around a little for you.

And remember that though those bushes can give cover mods if troops are in them or vehicles are on the other side you can see over and therefore shoot things on the other side of the bushes. The hills however will block line of sight.

Oh and squad1 can shoot at the rhino with the bolter. (Normally you declare what you want to shoot at and then check range, errors in gauging range being a frequent error on the battlefield, however there isn't any reason not to "try" to shoot something if you don't have anything else to fire at so I didn't want you not to fire them thinking they were short).
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Might as well take a shot at the Rhino, try and get to the troops it carries.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Do you want to move anybody(all your squads move 6")? Also what would squad 2 like to shoot at if it sits still? It could hit the assault marines, probably the rhino. You could also order it to shoot last and only fire at the rhino if it's still operational)

You can also specify whether you want the launchers or squad 1 to fire first. It's possible if they do enough damage the marines inside would be forced out and the other might get a chance at them.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Squad 2 can take a shot at the assault marines, and remain still. Move the veterans 6" due south, i cant see from the scale what square that would be =3
Launchers fire first. Hopefully they can take out the rhino, or least pound the hell out of it.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Ok the command squad shifts into a wide spaced formatin to let the veterans get by and position.

First the launchers fire and the concealed(due to the mountain) Rhino.

I roll a dice for each missile to see if it hits. Guardsmen have a ballistic skill of 3 which means I need to get 4s.
so one hits.
now we have to see if that missile can damage the rhino. I roll a d6 and add that to the missiles strength of 8.
a 3 that just matches the side armor value of the rhino (11) so it's only a "glancing hit"
there is a table I roll on,
That's only good for a "crew shaken" result. Which just means the vehicle can't shoot its storm bolter next turn. But can move normally.

Next the bolter fires. It's got a higher rate of fire. So I roll 3 dice for it.
so 2 hits.
It only has strength 5 so it'll take 6s to do anything to that rhinos side armor
2,4 nope sorry.

squad 2 fires at the assault marines.
to wound you need to (roughly) roll 4+target thoughness-weapon strength. So a s5 heavy bolter against a T4 marine needs a 3 to wound
5 so a wound
Finally if the marine can roll a 3 or better their armor saves them. On this field only the missiles and plasma can ignore this armor.
so the shot bounces off.

So not the best of luck for your first turn Tsu is up

And remember you can give intent when you move (i.e I want to move close to x amount forward but I want a shot at Y or don't want Z to have a shot at me etc).
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I went to my youngest cousin's High School graduation earlier. Glad some of us finished...

I'll move my Rhino 12" into G-6 (or close enough to be only in squad #2's line of fire). I'll jump the assault marines 12" to G-7.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It'll take a while for my next one. I'm finishing a piece of GCSE English coursework. Typical me, i left it to the last minute.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:It'll take a while for my next one. I'm finishing a piece of GCSE English coursework. Typical me, i left it to the last minute.
No problemo, my friend. What's GCSE, again? Maybe we can help.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

General Certificate of Secondary Education. Its the baseline qualification done in secondary school, which determines whether i can go on to A-levels and higher education. I'm doing my English, Maths and science GCSE's a year early.

The coursework i had to do was creative writing. I had to write a roughly 1000 word short story. Took me about half an hour, with 1,074 words.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright when moving I found that I couldn't position a couple of your guys without either exposing them to the veterans plasma guns or making them risk a crash in the woods. Since I think you're trying to get them to avoid plasma fire I elected for the woods option.

So I roll for each that lands in the woods and on a roll of "1" they crash and burn.
so you're fortunate there.

The veteran plasma gunner on the end can see both squads. Not much to be done to get away from that one.

Ok Reliant. Tsu has ducked behind the mountain. So squad 1 and the missile launchers can't see them so you may want to think about where he might end up and take this time to move them for better firing later. Remember you can only see through 6" of woods before it blocks your line of sight.

Squad 2 can fire at either group. Vets might be able to move onto the mountain and hit the Rhino with rapid fire plasma. I'm honestly not sure if they'd make it or come short and just be left standing there.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Move squad 1 South south west, the full movement they can make. I cant see from the scale how far that is. Two grid blocks?

Squad 2, take a shot at the Assault Marines. They'll be moving into a dangerous position soon.

Try and move the Veterans on the hill.

And missile launchers can make a move...south east, the full movement they can make.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright

When infantry move in difficult terrain they roll 2d6 and move the highest value rolled
Missiles
squad 1

So they both move 4 inches.

The veterans are too far to make it onto the hill I'm afraid. For reference each square is 4.8 inches across, if you use them as a reference maybe next time they could be 4 inches across so infantry would move one and a half and vehicles/jump infantry would move 3.

Squad 2 is just out of range for lasgun and plasmagun fire on the assault marines. But the heavy bolter roars away at them.

to hit
5,4,2 so 2 hits
2,3 so 1 wound
and the marine rolls a 1 so the armor doesn't save them this time. Tsukiyumi gets to pick which one dies. Probably just one of the regular guys.

Tsu is up again, also the rhino is un-shaken now, so if it doesn't move more than 6" it can fire it's storm bolter 24" also it can drop the marines inside off at either the beginning of its move (at which point the marines can move or even assault if they can reach), or it can move first and then drop them off at which point the marines will only be able to shoot up to 12".
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

One of the regular assault marines, of course. :)

I'll move the Rhino 6" north to G-5, and fire the storm bolter at squad #2. I will then disembark the regular marines, and have them fire at the veterans, if possible (if not, have them fire at anything within range). Then, I'll jump my assault marines again to G-5 as well (as long as they don't crash onto the hill, or something), and have them fire at anything in range, if they're able to after jumping.