Galactica in Blood and Chrome

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Galactica in Blood and Chrome

Post by McAvoy »

So I was watching Blood and Chrome (feel like I should have seizure just watching it) and the Galactica is fully covered in armor, hardly any ribs show. The gator head is covered with guns and weapons. The upper spine has even more guns.

We could assume that Blood and Chrome isn't cannon or we do and the Galactica between the first Cylon War and the fall of the Colonies, she was stripped.

Maybe the ship was being stripped before her decommissioning before it was decided she was a museum ship. Then someone came up with the idea that the ship becomes a museum ship, so instead they stop and refit her into one. Could explain why the armor is asymmetrical in certain areas.

Though in the flashback scene in Razor, I am don't remember offhand what the armor looks like in that.

The funny thing is that prior to this I was messing around on Photoshop to give the Galactica full armor and more weapons.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Galactica in Blood and Chrome

Post by Sonic Glitch »

The Galactica was also new in Blood and Chrome wasn't she? I would suspect the war effort, and probably numerous refits over time would change the look. The New Jersey or Missouricertainly didn't retire with the same number of AA or 5in mounts they did at the beginning of their service life.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I cant see a good reason to strip armor though.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:I cant see a good reason to strip armor though.
~50 years of service and only so-so maintenance for the last 30 maybe?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If the ship was poorly maintained throughout the war it may well have been quicker, more cost effective etc to gut the armour completely and then refit. Whose to say they didn't decide to maker her a museum ship midway through maintenance and repair work?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The Columbia in Razor during the flashback had full armor. Though it appears she has the same number and placement of guns as the Galactica at the beginning of the series.

Whereas the Blood and Chrome Galactica has a shit ton more guns. But she also has what appears to be a multi level hanger unlike the series.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I should also add I think I saw fully armored Galactica class ships during the attack on the shipyards in Razor.

It also seems that armoring is different than in the Mercury class.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Also the armor could be some super expencive material which would make stripping it economical.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is my guess. When you make a ship a museum ship you don't strip it of nearly all of its weapons and armor.

Hell, the Galactica is not symmetrical at all in its armor whereas the others were.