Battlestars

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

OK, it was campy, but it was a function of the times. Sci-fi back then couldn't do without chrome and gold robot enemies, any more than sci-fi today couldn't do without a film-noir feel and the idea of hugely flawed a/o morally challenged characters and scenarios - witness the transformation of ethos from TNG to DS9, ol' skool BSG to nBSG...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:OK, it was campy, but it was a function of the times. Sci-fi back then couldn't do without chrome and gold robot enemies, any more than sci-fi today couldn't do without a film-noir feel and the idea of hugely flawed a/o morally challenged characters and scenarios - witness the transformation of ethos from TNG to DS9, ol' skool BSG to nBSG...
I actually like the old Cylons better than the new ones (the CG ones or the human ones). The camp comes in the WAY over the top costumes, music, set dressings... Anyone remember the "uniforms" for the basketball-type game they playes? WOW!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I know. Don't forget about that robot wombat pet, or the fact that some duty uniforms included capes. CAPES! But if you can get past the idiom of the times, the show does transcend all that.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Well to be fair the capes were only on the dress uniforms - the duty uniforms were just the overalls and jacket.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I beg your pardon, you're correct. Because a short cape always becomes a dress uniform.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I loved the first season of the new BSG and the mini series but the best fighter design ever will always be the Starfury!

As to building a battlestar of our own? I think its possible, minus the FTL.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Battlestars

Post by Deepcrush »

I know this topic has been dead for a while but I felt it was time for it to come back.

We are now seeing the death of the final Battlestar. Soon the flag will be passed to the Rebel Cylon Baseship. The Galactica is at the point of just falling apart. The civilians of the fleet are as greedy and self centered and worthless as ever. The Galactica which has defended them for 4 years now by blood and tears isn't even closed down yet and the people are trying to strip it before the crew can even leave.

First, I'll miss the Galactica as she was a tough ass ship.
Second, the civis have done nothing but cause trouble and I so hate them.
Third, I'd support Adama in a heartbeat if he just ditched the civis and left with the baseship and those loyal to him.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

First, I'll miss the Galactica as she was a tough ass ship.
Damn straight. Given everything she went through, it's a miracle that she's still in one piece at this stage.
Second, the civis have done nothing but cause trouble and I so hate them.
Aye, a pretty accurate representation of humanity then, eh? :lol:
Third, I'd support Adama in a heartbeat if he just ditched the civis and left with the baseship and those loyal to him.
There might be a small problem of fuel and food.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

There might be a small problem of fuel and food.
Galactica has been helping to feed the fleet. At the beginning of the series they talked about as long as they can find fuel they'd be ok. Most of the trouble has been from caring for the fleet.
Aye, a pretty accurate representation of humanity then, eh?
All the more reason to leave most of them behind.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Weird how it turned out that Cain had the right idea all along.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Not really, she wanted to keep on fighting. Without babying the shithead civis the Galactica could have taken those loyal to Adama and just jumped away to found a new colony somewhere else.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Deepcrush wrote:Not really, she wanted to keep on fighting. Without babying the s******d civis the Galactica could have taken those loyal to Adama and just jumped away to found a new colony somewhere else.

I mean in abandoning her little fleet. If she had done that and just jumped to found a colony, things might have been OK. I stopped watching the series mid-way through season 3 but everything I've been hearing indicates that the fleets civvies are just useless, whiny shitheels.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sounds like most civis in the real world as Rochey pointed out. Maybe that's why I don't like people... because most are in fact civis...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I mean in abandoning her little fleet. If she had done that and just jumped to found a colony, things might have been OK. I stopped watching the series mid-way through season 3 but everything I've been hearing indicates that the fleets civvies are just useless, whiny shitheels.
Aye, it went downhill mid-way through season 3. It's seriously picking up again in quality now that they've found Earth, though.

Regarding the civilians, they're acting pretty realisticaly for humans. That is to say, they're utterly irrational and infuratingly stupid.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

What I'd love to see is if you built a Battlestar with Cylon tech.