Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I guess someone in the naming department likes Spartacus?
Syfy greenlights pilot for third Galactica series

Friday - October 22, 2010

Category: GENERAL

by Darren Sumner
BSG - Cylon

Syfy Channel announced today that it has greenlit Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, a backdoor pilot for a potential third BSG series. The show would chronicle the adventures of a young William Adama during the later years of the first Cylon War.

The network originally ordered the script for Blood & Chrome as a limited-run series of webisodes, but liked Michael Taylor's script so much that it is sending it straight to television as a 2-hour movie event. The backdoor pilot could then turn into a full-fledged series, if Syfy likes what it sees.

Production should begin in Vancouver, British Columbia early next year. The show could be ready to premiere as early as Fall 2011, though TV Squad suggests after talking with Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming, that if it is picked up for a full series a 2012 debut is more likely.

In addition to a younger "Husker" Adama the show will feature a younger, shinier Battlestar Galactica during the height of the Twelve Colonies. The production team took high-resolution scans of every nook of the Galactica sets before they were struck, and plan to recreate them digitally - a la Sanctuary's use of green stages and virtual sets.

Here's how Syfy describes the show's premise:

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome takes place in the 10th year of the first Cylon war. As the battle between humans and their creation, a sentient robotic race, rages across the 12 colonial worlds, a brash rookie viper pilot enters the fray. Ensign William Adama, barely in his 20's and a recent Academy graduate, finds himself assigned to the newest battlestar in the Colonial fleet the Galactica. The talented but hot-headed risk-taker soon finds himself leading a dangerous top secret mission that, if successful, will turn the tide of the decade long war in favor of the desperate fleet.

Adama, of course, was played by Edward James Olmos in Syfy's first Galactica series, which ran for four seasons from 2005 to 2009. Actor Nico Cortez (pictured left) played the younger character at this same time period in the telemovie Battlestar Galactica: Razor. While the role could potentially be recast, Stern told TV Squad's Maureen Ryan that "I'm assuming there will be a full casting process for this pilot, but with Nico at the top of the list."

Nico Cortez played young William Adama in ''Battlestar Galactica: Razor.''
Stern described the series as "very much an action-adventure, war series."

Younger versions of other familiar BSG characters (or older versions of characters from Caprica, set when Bill Adama is just a young boy) are possible.

In spite of Caprica's rough time attracting viewers - especially after moving to Tuesdays this month - Stern insists that Blood & Chrome is not intended to be a replacement for that show. "To be really categorical about it, this is not about finding something else so we can get rid of Caprica," Stern told TV Squad. "I don't know the fate of Caprica yet, but, if anything, Blood & Chrome going to series would only be a great opportunity to pair it with something."

He said that a decision on Caprica should be made by November 15.

Taylor wrote the teleplay for the 2-hour Blood & Chrome pilot from a story by Eick, Taylor and Bradley Thompson & David Weddle. It will be executive produced by David Eick for Universal Cable Productions.
From here.

Looks like a case of "how much more money can we beat out of this franchise before it goes totally balls-up?" to me.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This is aimed at me.

What I mean by that is, I was a loyal BSG viewer, watched it start to finish and then bought the DVDs, and was left wanting more. But Caprica isn't it. Like a lot of BSG fans, I liked the characters, but I also liked the hardware, the battles. I liked seeing Galactica pound Cylon Basestars, and all that eye candy stuff. Caprica doesn't have that; I stopped watching it after the first three or four episodes when it became clear that it was, basically, a science fiction soap opera.

I suspect there's a lot of ex BSG viewers around like me - hence Caprica struggling to find an audience. Seems to me that somebody at sci fi has noticed this and said "okay, what if we do stories set during the war? A BSG version of Space : Above and Beyond. It will have a built in core audience that Caprica isn't reaching."

Well count me in, I'm gonna be watching for sure.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

A young Adama fighting old style centurions?? :Drool2:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think GK is right on. A mini-series or such about the Cylon War would be great to have. It would bring in both old fans of the show and help pick up interest in Caprica.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I like Caprica, a lot. It's a completely different show than NeoBSG though. Same universe but completely different so I can see there being an audience hungry for more NeoBSG that's not getting its fix with Caprica.
The production team took high-resolution scans of every nook of the Galactica sets before they were struck, and plan to recreate them digitally - a la Sanctuary's use of green stages and virtual sets.
Oh for the love of fuck... can't people just build fucking sets anymore?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:
The production team took high-resolution scans of every nook of the Galactica sets before they were struck, and plan to recreate them digitally - a la Sanctuary's use of green stages and virtual sets.
Oh for the love of f**k... can't people just build f***ing sets anymore?
As much as it pains me to say, it might indeed be cheaper now to do CGI sets.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

wouldn't surprise me at all. You've got a few men/women being paid, and the cost of the software.

Where as set design would be a lot more men/women being paid to design it, paying for the materials, pay for those building it, paying to insure it (I believe they have to insure sets, although i'm not sure), the time it takes to set it up...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I believe I read once that in TNG, if you wanted a one off set of the week then each one cost from $100,000 - $200,000, depending on size and quality.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm still surprised about it, though. I'd have imagined that most of BSG's props and sets are still lying around somewhere, so they could have cut down on the cost quite a bit by simply re-using the old sets.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I'm still surprised about it, though. I'd have imagined that most of BSG's props and sets are still lying around somewhere, so they could have cut down on the cost quite a bit by simply re-using the old sets.
I seem to recall hearing that the sets were taken apart after filming The Plan
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I've never quite understood that. Why tear everything apart? Why not just store them? Yeah, I get that sets can take up space but for something like NeoBSG that is likely to spawn a successor it just seems prudent to hang onto them at least for a few years.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Storage doesn't just equal space, it equals money. If you tried to store every set that might be used again you'd have to convert half of hollywood into warehouses.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, but considering that it was a very popular show and was made not too long ago, I'd have expected them to hang onto some of the sets in case a new series or movie were to come out. *shrugs*
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Storage doesn't just equal space, it equals money.
Do we have a "Duh" emoticon?
If you tried to store every set that might be used again you'd have to convert half of hollywood into warehouses.
I am aware of that, but you don't need to save the sets of every show you ever do for all time. Store the sets of a big hit that you're keeping the setting going makes some sense though. If they had the foresight to have the sets laser scanned before striking them then they were thinking they might need to recreate them at some point so it's not just a pie in the sky maybe kind of thing.

I really hate pure CGI sets. They never look real. I know you can produce more fantastical sets with the computer than you could in reality without it costing a mint but for sets that could easily be reproduced in actuallity, much less ones you already had built, ugh.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Honestly, the CGI "sets" of 300 and Spartacus: Blood and Sand is one of the reasons I dislike those two. It's not the slightest bit convincing. I know in 300 at least it was intended to be "stylistic", as a sort of match to the original graphic novel, but it just comes off as jarring. It's like the directors are sitting there saying "Hi audience. Yeah, we couldn't be arsed trying to spend money for a decent background shot".

If you're going to use a CGI background, and least make it look good.