Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Post by kostmayer »

For me, the painted backgrounds of TNG still look amazing.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I too love a good background painting. Some of them look beautiful.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I like FX, they're great, but after soo many crappy uses of CGI sets, the Star Wars prequels, GI Joe, and Sanctuary, I think I can safely say that we are not to the point where people can create CGI sets that don't immediately scream, CGI!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Huh, Spartacus : Blood and Sand had CGI sets?

I honestly did not know that. I mean, I assumed the wide angle shots showing the building on the edge of the cliff were CGI... but the actual sets themselves? Nope, didn't have a clue.

Guess that's score one for the CGI sets then...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sorry, I should probably have put "background" instead of "set". The buildings, rooms, streets, etc are all real. Everything else is not. And it looks spectacularly fake.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, stuff like that never bothered me too much. I grew up on Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, where half the time the physical sets were made of tinfoil and wobbled every time an actor moved and where ships and even characters were sometimes portrayed by cardboard cutouts. CGI sets look pretty damn good to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I suppose there is a point in not using a physical set. Most sets seem to be constructed to last as long as the series, as mostly the series don't get a follow-up and thus the sets don't need to last much longer than that. Keeping the sets after such a period wil cause the set to break down hard, so much in fact that rebuilding it would be more costly than building a new one. A similar thing happedned at several world expo's. Most buildings wouldn't last more than a year because they wer made out of wood and plaster and were not made to last longer than that.
Making the sets out of CGI would be cheaper and more useful as in that they will not decay while stored digitally, and can be altered far easier.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I remember when the coolest set in existence was the interior shot of KITT :wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mark wrote:I remember when the coolest set in existence was the interior shot of KITT :wink:
Still is.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."