New Cap City's Dirigible Aircraft Carrier & Combat Aircraft

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

New Cap City's Dirigible Aircraft Carrier & Combat Aircraft

Post by Sionnach Glic »

AKA this big thing:

We've seen it hovering around New Cap City in pretty much every episode set there, and it's got quite a menacing presence, with players clearly scared of the thing. Exactly who crews it in the game is a mystery, but given its erratic and usually violent behaviour I'm betting it's under the control of a group of players.

I'm more interested in the craft itself, though. That pic above is the only halfway decent shot of the airship that I've been able to find. The vessel itself (which I've been able to find precisely nothing about, I guess I'm the only one interested in it) is quite unusual for an airship. It appears to be covered in presumably very heavy equipment - weapons, crew quarters, aircraft, and a bunch of other things. It's not just kept floating by lighter-than-air gasses, though, as there is an array of propellers helping to life it up (not visible in the above pic, they seem to be mounted on the craft's spine).

The ship appears pretty heavily armed. Just from the pic above we can see two twin-barrelled cannons mounted on the prow. And while I'm no master of scaling, they look to be a hell of a lot bigger than the fighter visible in the image. We've seen it firing once, but not the result of that damage. Though given the size of the guns I'd imagine they pack a punch. Even assuming that those are the only guns on the ship, that's a fairly heavy armament.

Looking aft we can see what's presumably the cockpit. Nothing particularly special looking about that.

Further aft of that again, just visible behind the right wing of the fighter, is what looks like another twin-barrelled turret. Unless the perspective is throwing it off, it looks smaller than the two on the prow. Presumably it's meant for defending the dirigible against any ground units that might get below it (the heavy cannons may be unsuitable for such a task if they have a high explosive yield).

While the angle and quality of the picture makes it difficult to see, it looks like there may be another, smaller, turret just aft and to the starboard side of that midship turret. If there is indeed one there, there's presumably another one on the port side. It's possible that there're more guns further towards the back of the craft, but I've got nothing to really confirm or deny that speculation. Though given its heavy armament I'd expect at least one gun mounted aft.

On either side of the ship's belly running what seems to be the length of the ship are a series of clamps. From what I've seen, these seem to be the parts the hold the vessel's aircraft complement. Six are visible in this pic, but there may be more further aft.

Looking towards the top of the ship we can see two radar-like masts sticking out on either side. Presumably these are some sort of DRADIS system.

Running along the ship's back we can also see a row of.....things. I honestly can't even guess what these are. Propellers? AA guns? Mounts for more aircraft? Something else entirely?

Two stubby "wings" are also visible on either side of the dirigible. I think they mount propellers, but I'm not too sure.

One very obvious shortcoming of using a dirigible as some sort of close air-support vessel is how easy it is to shoot down. Anyone with a rifle could probably tear enough holes in the thing to bring it down. But in New Cap City no one so much as tries shooting at it - and it presumably isn't something that appeared overnight. This seems quite odd, but I think the dirigible may have some form of armour. Looking at its skin in the above pic, it looks to me to have a sort of metalic shine. Is it possible that it's covered in armoured plates, proof against hand-held guns at least? It's the only explaination I can think of as to why no one has shot it down yet - particularly given how much random havok it seems to cause.

All in all, the dirigible carrier seems quite impractical. While it has a formidable armament, it's too slow, large and vulnerable to allow it to do anything a helicopter could. Its fighter compliment also seems far too low to be of any real use - one would imagine that simply setting up an airfield near the front lines would be far easier. Were this craft only seen in New Cap City, I'd question the true existence of such a vessel, but take a look at the show's title screen:

In the top-right you can clearly see a dirigible of similar size and shape, and similarly loaded down with added equipment. While the craft is too far away to be seen all that clearly, I'd put money on it being the same type of craft seen in NCC. So it does seem to truly exist. Though for what purpose is beyond me. Any ideas, guys?

Well, since I've run out of stuff to say regarding the dirigible, let's talk about its aircraft. We've seen it deploy two craft. A jet-fighter, as can be seen in the first pic, and a propeller aircraft of some sort briefly seen in The Imperfections Of Memory.

The jet-fighter visible above is of an unknown design. It's not a Viper, as it does not have the dual tail-fins that the MK1 Vipers do. What appears to be a bomb of some sort is just barely visible under the starboard wing. Given the vessel carrying it, I'd imagine that this is some sort of ground-attack craft.
Pretty much nothing can be said about the prop-craft, other than that it's armed with a machine gun and is (IIRC) open cockpitted. What's more interesting is that a craft carrying jet-fighters also hauls such obsolete craft around. Are there, perhaps, two seperate (or more) dirigibles roaming NCC? Or do downed aircraft "respawn" as randomised craft?

Another interesting thing is that I can't see of any way for the dirigible to recover the craft it launches. It moves far too slowly for any aircraft seen to dock back to their clamps without some sort of VTOL system (which I doubt either the prop-craft or the jet-fighter have). The idea that the dirigible has some sort of landing strip on its back has occurred to me. Normally such an idea would be pretty rediculous, but just looking at the damn thing shows that critical thinking was on its lunch break when the airship was designed.

So, your thoughts?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: New Cap City's Dirigible Aircraft Carrier & Combat Aircraft

Post by Aaron »

So this exists in a video game then?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

New Cap City is a virtual reality game. Basically, think of Grand Theft Auto a hundred years from now. However, it's explicitly said to be modelled on the real Caprica City (with updates to buildings and such apparently appearing quite rapidly as things happen in the real world), and it's stated that it's intended to be just as realistic as the real world.

That's mainly why I'm unsure about whether this thing exists or not. On the one hand, it's an utterly rediculous and impractical craft. On the other, it appears in an environment which is said to be identical to the real world, and what appears to be one can indeed be seen in the distance in the real world.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Well as some random edumaguesses, the forward turret is reminiscent of some pre-WWII era light cruiser turrets, six-inchers IIRC. The things topside on the left are reminiscent of the antennas that used to line the flight decks of pre-WWII CV's.

Other then that? *shrug* You have a better pic?

New Cap City is a virtual reality game. Basically, think of Grand Theft Auto a hundred years from now. However, it's explicitly said to be modelled on the real Caprica City (with updates to buildings and such apparently appearing quite rapidly as things happen in the real world), and it's stated that it's intended to be just as realistic as the real world.

That's mainly why I'm unsure about whether this thing exists or not. On the one hand, it's an utterly rediculous and impractical craft. On the other, it appears in an environment which is said to be identical to the real world, and what appears to be one can indeed be seen in the distance in the real world.
My first thought is to dismiss it as a game prop but nBSG did have some rather soft-scifi elements; magic power generation, AG and whatnot. Maybe it's held aloft by a gravity generator.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Love this thing, but then I've always been a sucker for Airships.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Just as a side note, there's nothing particularly wrong about a prop combat aircraft. I mean I wouldn't want to ride it into combat but as a FAC or an observation craft, yeah OK.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Other then that? *shrug* You have a better pic?
Unfortunately not. That's the only pic I've ever been able to find on it, which was snagged from Bear McCreary's blog (the guy who composes the show's soundtrack). Google seems to be failing me. I think we might have to wait until the DVDs are released until we get a better image.
Cpl Kendall wrote:My first thought is to dismiss it as a game prop but nBSG did have some rather soft-scifi elements; magic power generation, AG and whatnot. Maybe it's held aloft by a gravity generator.
In long-distance shots we can see an array of upwards-pointing propellers on the ship. I'd assume they're what keeps the ship floating.

Also, some quick googling has revealed that metal-coated dirigibles did exist, so there may be some credence to the idea that the ship has some light armour plating covering it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

kostmayer wrote:Love this thing, but then I've always been a sucker for Airships.
I'm the same. It's utterly rediculous, but it captures my interest each time it appears. :)
Cpl Kendall wrote:Just as a side note, there's nothing particularly wrong about a prop combat aircraft. I mean I wouldn't want to ride it into combat but as a FAC or an observation craft, yeah OK.
Oh, I know there's nothing wrong with them. I just found it odd that a ship would carry both jet-fighters and propeller-powered biplanes with machine guns.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
In long-distance shots we can see an array of upwards-pointing propellers on the ship. I'd assume they're what keeps the ship floating.

Also, some quick googling has revealed that metal-coated dirigibles did exist, so there may be some credence to the idea that the ship has some light armour plating covering it.
Oh yeah, there were metal skinned airships but unless there is some magic tech or the thing is truly massive then I question the presence of any kind of armour plating other then maybe the cockpit or the turrets.

I would imagine the props can at least change direction to aid in steering the thing.
Oh, I know there's nothing wrong with them. I just found it odd that a ship would carry both jet-fighters and propeller-powered biplanes with machine guns.
Biplanes? Jesus, I thought you meant something like a Cessna.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Think the Red Baron. :P
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Fuck off, seriously?

Jebus, I think only the Russians use them in any capacity now.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

In reference to your picture from the title sequence, I'm fairly certain that it is a picture of new cap city. When I was watching the title sequence last week, it seems to me that there is a definite change in mood/lighting when they close in on that city. I'd say the airship was built by a group of gamers who decided to take the environment and do some wacky, fun, and useless in the real world, shit --- really, what would any of us do in a similar situation? :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Hmm...how many turrets can I cram onto one AFV hull?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

From last episode :-

"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Oh wow, those are actual guns topside. Kinda hard to make out what they are in the second pic, antenna, light cannon?