Federation Battlestar

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Federation Battlestar

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Are the Vipers accelerated from aft-ship to fore-ship from their launch tubes?

What is the recovery rate of the deployed Vipers?

Sincerely.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:Has the Replicator Base Stock ever been shown? I thought it was an energy to matter conversion.
Never been shown directly, but given the huge range of items that either can't be replicated or can only be replicated imperfectly, it simply doesn't make sense that it's energy-to-matter. For example, we've seen them replicate water repeatedly, however this can't be done with Thurasian rain water, which is apparently something special. The only sensible answer is that there's something weird in the rain water that they don't carry a stock of.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Replicators have always been said to make imperfect copies. Backstage sources say this is because they operate on lower resolution than transporters, which is also why they can't produce living matter and so replicate millions of cannon fodder soldiers.

We've had several characters say they prefer natural food and drink to replicated stuff, Picard and his brother about wine for example. I've often wondered just how much of that attitude is simple snobbery. I'm reminded of the sorts of people who spend thousands upon thousands buying "perfect" components for audio systems and claiming it makes their sound system better when in truth there's no perceptible difference beyond a certain point.

Are there really cases where something cannot be replicated? Apart from living matter I don't know of any case where we are canonically told that it's impossible to replicate something. Rather, fans tend to assume it for one reason or another. Nobody in the episode says that you can't replicate Thurasian rain water, for example - it's just as likely that replicated versions only taste 99% as good (or the percentage of your choice), or even that Guinan is a snob like Picard's brother who will only serve the "genuine article".

Even latinum has never been said to be unreplicatable. Perhaps nobody does replicate it because as we've seen, replicated stuff can be detected.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Possibly - I would say that that's certainly the case with Picard's complaints about replicated caviar. The numerous occasions on which the E-D is used as a glorified courier ship to transport a given raw material, vaccine or piece of equipment are another matter, however. We also have "The Enemy" (Romulan died because the replicators couldn't reproduce Romulan blood and Worf wouldn't act as a donor), "Evolution" (Stubs mentioned going to a factory where they make nanites), "Phantasms" (Geordi discussed a new manufacturing technique for plasma conduits), the whole concept of DS9 (what's the point of a trading outpost if you can replicate everything), and anything involving Quark (if gold and latinum could be replicated, they wouldn't be valuable).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:Are the Vipers accelerated from aft-ship to fore-ship from their launch tubes?
The launch tubes are on the pods, port and starboard, from which the vipers are accelerated into launch speed. Its like a over sized PTL.
What is the recovery rate of the deployed Vipers?

Sincerely.
Depends on how far they are from the ship. Find the furthest fighter, time his return and that's your recovery time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

How long does it take to clear the "landing runway" so that additional Vipers may "land" or can they all "land" at once?

Sincerely.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:How long does it take to clear the "landing runway" so that additional Vipers may "land" or can they all "land" at once?

Sincerely.
The landing bay is large enough that you don't have to clear the vipers. They just fly to their assigned parking space and land there.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:
Tholian_Avenger wrote:How long does it take to clear the "landing runway" so that additional Vipers may "land" or can they all "land" at once?

Sincerely.
The landing bay is large enough that you don't have to clear the vipers. They just fly to their assigned parking space and land there.

Not to mention if the deck had to be cleared in a hurry (ie taking on more ships that your supposed to, and accident, etc) you can simply beam the deck clear, into an internal storage bay for later disposition. Hell, likely in a pinch you could beam your Vipers back aboard as well to save time, but that would be some specific circumstances.

And Alex, we need a better reason to design a ship with seven warp cores than simply you like the number.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Possibly - I would say that that's certainly the case with Picard's complaints about replicated caviar. The numerous occasions on which the E-D is used as a glorified courier ship to transport a given raw material, vaccine or piece of equipment are another matter, however. We also have "The Enemy" (Romulan died because the replicators couldn't reproduce Romulan blood and Worf wouldn't act as a donor), "Evolution" (Stubs mentioned going to a factory where they make nanites), "Phantasms" (Geordi discussed a new manufacturing technique for plasma conduits), the whole concept of DS9 (what's the point of a trading outpost if you can replicate everything), and anything involving Quark (if gold and latinum could be replicated, they wouldn't be valuable).
Some of those - the blood, vaccines, etc - could well fall under the "nothing living" category. Others like the nanite factory - well that factory may be a replicator factory for all we know.

And for DS9, well not everybody has replicator tech, and again, replicated stuff isn't quite as good so perhaps the trade is in items where people specifically want the originals for whatever reason. Or it may be cheaper to produce items the old way if the quantity is large enough. Or whatever.

I dunno. I certainly wouldn't argue that it's certain that they can replicate everything, only that "some things can't be replicated" is often tossed around as if that's what the episodes say, when actually they don't say it, they imply it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
I dunno. I certainly wouldn't argue that it's certain that they can replicate everything, only that "some things can't be replicated" is often tossed around as if that's what the episodes say, when actually they don't say it, they imply it.
It could also be: "It can't be replicated" because the "pattern" or whatever is not in the computer. Recall in The Defector when Jarok asks about a Romulan Ale, Data says something about needing to know the molecular structure (or something like that) of the drink in question. It could be that some things are not kept on all replicators. It's not so much "it can't be replicated at all" but more, "It can't be replicated in our facility"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Good point. In the case of Romulan Ale specifically, it wouldn't be in the replicator because it was illegal in the Federation at the time.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lol, even if the ships banks don't have it stored.....you'd think the 24th century version of "google" would get it for you.

Of course, to be fair, we didn't HAVE an internet when TNG came out. We had ISPs. I had two seperate accounts. One on Prodigy, and AOL. AOL was $10 per hour peak time, and $5 an hour off peak........with a state of the art 2400 baud modem.

I'd imagine if TNG was reinvented, the "its not in the computer excuse" would vanish from dialouge.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:Not to mention if the deck had to be cleared in a hurry (ie taking on more ships that your supposed to, and accident, etc) you can simply beam the deck clear, into an internal storage bay for later disposition. Hell, likely in a pinch you could beam your Vipers back aboard as well to save time, but that would be some specific circumstances.

And Alex, we need a better reason to design a ship with seven warp cores than simply you like the number.
Since our landing bay is three carriers long, three high and two wide... space isn't a problem. Also, rapid recovery during battle is a bad time to rely on transporters to transport ships filled with AM. Another problem is the pure number of ships you could "simply" beam around. You have an entire armored division plus support units and shuttles and deck hands and equipment plus equipment movers. Beaming the fighters also requires you and them to drop shields which in battle is a very bad thing. So not at all simple or wise.

Truth is that if you put multiple levels in the pods rather then just one large open space you can still reserve a space the size of a Nimitz for just the fighters. Put this on the upper levels where there isn't any equipment to move out of the way and the fighters can just land normally.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

These should be used to put the Klingons on the reservation!

Sincerely.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd rather use the Klingons.