Federation Battlestar

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Federation Battlestar

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

As do I Deep. Eventually the Fedies will have to go Borg and Jem Hadar hunting and they don't need the Klingons in their rear causing their typical troubles.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wow, that was one of the most pathetic responses humanly possible.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Don't you think that would be a good story or do you just disagree with the terms I use?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You've just compared the Federation to the mass extermination and relocation of the Native Americans.

At this point, just shut up.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

I was thinking of the Native American Warriors who would go out on war raids in the west, the US Cavalry would put down the raids and force the warriors back onto the reservation. When given a chance, Native Americans have shown themselves to be exemplary and courageous citizens of this country. That was my thought, to take over the Klingon Empire to eliminate their warmongering, and then offer them a chance to go kill bad guys. That's what I was thinking, not to mass extermination. If that is offensive, I'm apologize for it, I honestly didn't mean it to be.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh, don't get me wrong... I really don't care how offensive or racist you may be. But its really just a stupid thing to compare. The Native Americans weren't warmongering, they were simply living in the space that the Europeans (later US) wanted for themselves. Resource expansion through racial extermination and/or relocation.

The Klingons have a natural and cultural design to violence and war. Also, how would you expect the Federation to conquer the Klingons? Do you think the Federation is going to expend the numbers of ground troops needed invade any Klingon world, let alone the homeworld? Do you think the Klingons would ever surrender? Do you think the Federation would stomach the kind of war the Klingons would rage on them? Simple answer is no.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

In any event, the sort of usage of conquered or indentured people which you describe would probably be more analogous to the so-called buffalo soldiers of the latter-19th c. Indian Wars.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Not to mention, if the Klingon WERE conqured and subjagated, WHY would they fight FOR the Federation?

I see your point, and don't think you were TRYING to be racist, but keep in mind the feelings such comments could post. I know you've apologized for your attitude before, and we've all moved past it, but you'll likely want to be careful how you put things. Forgiveness is easy, but its hard to forget :)

Lets look at it this way. They Klingons are an advanced civilization with they're own infrastructure, government, resources, and so forth. Conquering them (if the UFP even COULD...remember the Klingon Conflict of DS9) would take massive resources and inflict huge losses, which would hamper the UFPs ability to defend itself from the Cardassians, Breen, Romulans, and any other hostile power that wanted some elbow room.

The Klingons are also by and large the UFPs allies. In Martok they have a man that shed blood side by side with Starfleet, and is likely their most dedicated supporter in a hundred years. What your suggesting makes little sense on any level I can think of.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deep, as I said, its an option under specific circumstances, similar to when we've seen them beam a shuttle aboard. If a pilot is in distress, they can beam the ship aboard. If they need to recover all ships in minimal time because they need to get to a new place, they can beam a bunch aboard.

Not saying that should be SOP, and more bays are good. But the option is nice.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:Deep, as I said, its an option under specific circumstances, similar to when we've seen them beam a shuttle aboard. If a pilot is in distress, they can beam the ship aboard. If they need to recover all ships in minimal time because they need to get to a new place, they can beam a bunch aboard.

Not saying that should be SOP, and more bays are good. But the option is nice.
Problem would be installing enough transporters to make it work. Getting close enough to the ships that they are transporting. Lowering shields and diverting power needed for a mass transport. While its an okay option for small scale use, its a system that isn't really a good idea to have in place for mass use. When soldiers have to many options, they tend to try and take the easy way through things. Its best to force them into a habit of doing things in the SOP.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

My guess is:

Emergency landings in "Galactica"s style" can be enough: ships are fast and Federation controll tractor beams & shields. Two things Colonials don't have, AND, just like Colonial's Pegasus, they have computers.

So computers, tractor beam and shields allows faster landing speed, no?
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

One would think so. However, coming slower > coming in hotter, no matter what safety systems are in place. Similar to what Deep said, it's good to have those systems in case someone needs to come in hot; but it shouldn't be the norm.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well, Automatic beaming system in place of an eject system woudln't be better?

Yes it need to drop the shield but the equivalent of a Raptor or an Olympic can do this.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

DarkMoineau wrote:Well, Automatic beaming system in place of an eject system woudln't be better?

Yes it need to drop the shield but the equivalent of a Raptor or an Olympic can do this.
If you're talking about a one-shot emergency transporter built into the the fighter, then you've got the risk of it loosing power mid-transport due to damage. Oops.

If you're talking about a shuttle or hospital ship, not only do you have to worry about radiation, battle debris, etc, getting in the way and fouling up the transport, the beaming ship will, as you say, also have to drops its shields. This will make them a target, and they're far more vulnerable to damage than a heavily-armoured battlestar. More oops. You're best off just staying clear and moving in to pick up damaged fighters and EV pilots once the battle's over.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well, True.

^^