Season 3 (nBSG)

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Season 3 (nBSG)

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mark wrote:I'm starting to lose interest I'm sorry to say. Learning about Bulldog, Adama, and the Valkeryie was mildly interesting....but the damned boxing match crossing at least two episodes is getting really old. I had to double check to make sure I wasn't rewatching the same episode on accident.
It does pick up! I have it on decent authority -- i believe from the BSG wiki (or maybe just the BSG entry on Wikipedia) that in the Third Season the network wanted to get away from the "complicated story arcs" and essentially made them rework the last half of the season into a series of stand-alone episodes. The beginning of the season is, IMO trying to establish that the scars of New Caprica run deep. And then they scrap the character development for a couple of standalones because the network wanted them to which proves not to work.
That's exactly it. The studio execs wanted to move to an episodic formula like other sci-fi shows at the time had, which resulted in a boatload of completely unconnected and unimportant (and in one case uncanonical) episodes. Exactly why they wanted this when the story arc formula had resulted in one of the biggest sci-fi success in terms of ratings in a long time (soundly beating out Enterprise) is an utter mystery to me.

IIRC, they also wanted to bring aliens into the show as well but Olmos threatened to leave the show if they kept f***ing with it, so they dropped it.
Which one was the uncanonical episode?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mark wrote:It wouldn't be so bad if they'd stop jumping around in time. Adama and the President? Yes or No? Apollo and Starbuck? WFT!?? Anders and Dee get the s**t end of the stick?

So much damned drama.
I could tell you, but there lie spoilers.
Mark wrote:Part of me wants to say tell me so I can skip ahead.........but I know if I do I'll regret it later :wink:
Well, in no particular order: Yes, Maybe, Possibly, No, Well we can't really be sure, I suppose it's possible and All of this has happened before.

Does that help? :lol:
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Which one was the uncanonical episode?
Hero, the one with the Valkyrie was declared non-canon, IIRC. Moore wasn't happy with the whole episode and dumped it from canon. Hence why the new character in it and the events are never refferenced again.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So, Bulldog doesn't exist anymore..........and Adama doesn't have a medel after all?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Hero, the one with the Valkyrie was declared non-canon, IIRC. Moore wasn't happy with the whole episode and dumped it from canon. Hence why the new character in it and the events are never refferenced again.
I understood it as Bulldog was meant to be recurring, but scheduling conflicts got in the way so he was written off (by which i mean forgotten about).
Mark wrote:So, Bulldog doesn't exist anymore..........and Adama doesn't have a medel after all?
I'm sure Adama has oodles of Medals anyway...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Really? I consider that one of the best episodes of the series.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I liked that one myself. I think it was the whole "Adama was sent on a secret mission and may have started the war!" thing.

That said, I now can't find where I originaly heard that it was non-canon, so maybe I'm getting it mixed up with something else. I know that there was an episode that Moore said didn't happen, but I'm damned if I know which one it was now. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

How do you do an episode, and then just pretend it didn't exist? :confused:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The same way Braga decided that "Threshold" was non-canon - RDM evidently felt that the episode in question, be it "Hero" or something else, wasn't up to snuff.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:The same way Braga decided that "Threshold" was non-canon - RDM evidently felt that the episode in question, be it "Hero" or something else, wasn't up to snuff.

When did THIS happen?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What, Threshold becoming non-canon? Braga stated it a short while after the episode aired. He admitted it was total shite and decided to ditch it. He even had a brief mention that no one had ever traveled at Warp 10 just a few episodes later to underscore it.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Aye, I liked that one myself. I think it was the whole "Adama was sent on a secret mission and may have started the war!" thing.

That said, I now can't find where I originaly heard that it was non-canon, so maybe I'm getting it mixed up with something else. I know that there was an episode that Moore said didn't happen, but I'm damned if I know which one it was now. :?
I don't think he was really happy with "Black Market" but that was Season 2 and maybe "The Woman King"? Idk, I could be making things up.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I doubt that it was Black Market that was dropped. Fisk died in that one, which is a kind of important event.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I completely missed that one. Why not have it pulled from syndication then, I wonder?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Things have seemingly started to pick up in season three......but all this metaphysical crap is making me scratch my head. So, are Starbuck and Tyrel supposed to be some kids of prophets or something? And are the "final five" actual cylons or some kind of mythalogical avatars?

But I'll say this much. The actor portraying Gaius Baltar is fracking awesome. I was watching nBSG with a girlfriend (she's a stage actress) and we were sort of critiquing the acting a bit. The actors playing Starbuck, Apollo, Tyrell, and Gaeta are so so (Apollo could use a couple more acting lessons). The guy playing Tigh is pretty good too. Edward James Almos (spelling?) is always a hell of an actor no matter what he's doing (and HIS Adama is quickly becoming my favorite starship commander overall), but my god.....the guy playing Balter captures and portrays the ESSENCE of the man. You can almost feel his conflict personally.