Possibility of Survivors on the Colonies Themselves

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Possibility of Survivors on the Colonies Themselves

Post by Tyyr »

For those bombs to be visible like that we'd have been talking multi-gigaton level warheads.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

And thats at odds with what we see of the Colonials and Cylons tech level. I just throw that whole bit out.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's something I can rationalize away as just SFX exaggeration. Otherwise the death of a world would be some little flashes in a few places and not much else.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I go with the Cylons having used neutron bombs as well. I rationalise the explosions we see by saying that the Cylons nuked any military instalations to ensure there could be no serious resistance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I go with the Cylons having used neutron bombs as well. I rationalise the explosions we see by saying that the Cylons nuked any military instalations to ensure there could be no serious resistance.
I like this, I think I'll stick with this idea as well.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I ahve been think about that as well. Straight up nuking the military and neutron bombing population centers. I got the impression that the Cylons was Caprica for themselves. I doubt they would want a barren planet.

My guess, that after the bombing the Cylons went in and started to mop up the survivors. I bet after they left there are probably scattered survivors. Whether or not they will survive radiation poisoning is up in the air I suppose.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That or they were setting off most of the bombs in the upper atmo for the EMP effects and only a few were used on the ground.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Airburst weapons would leave very little in the way of radioactive fall out.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, in oBSG the Cylons wanted to completely exterminate humanity. Is the Cylon's goal still the same here, or are they looking to subjegate and enslave?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Well, in oBSG the Cylons wanted to completely exterminate humanity. Is the Cylon's goal still the same here, or are they looking to subjegate and enslave?
Christ knows (or should that be "gods know"?). The Cylons' much vaunted "plan" was never properly explained in the series (although "The Plan", which I haven't seen may have untangled some of it).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:Well, in oBSG the Cylons wanted to completely exterminate humanity. Is the Cylon's goal still the same here, or are they looking to subjegate and enslave?
Christ knows (or should that be "gods know"?). The Cylons' much vaunted "plan" was never properly explained in the series (although "The Plan", which I haven't seen may have untangled some of it).
I saw it on SciFi a week or too ago. May or may not be a spoiler but:
Basically Cavals plan was mass-extermination of the humans, so that the Five would ressurect on the Cylon Colony and he'd somehow convince them that the humans really weren't worthy of survival or the respect the Five seemed to show them.. Basically Caval was a whiny brat who wanted to kill his "brothers" because Mommy and Daddy seemed to love them more. It goes on to show that everything the Cylons did since them, from Doral blowing himself up to Leoban hiding out was the Caval on Galactica making shit up to try and make up for missing the survivors.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As I understand it, the original plan was to wipe out humanity. But after the initial attack a faction of the Cylons decided that what they'd done was wrong and they should seek to live in peace with the remaining humans. Hence why they didn't obliterate the colony when they finally captured it. Of course the humans wanted nothing to do with this.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's pretty much it. The overall Cylon plan was the anhialation of the Twelve Colonies, as they believed that humans would start a new war against them somtime soon. Once they actually did it, however, some of the Cylon models started having second thoughts and began to doubt that what they did was right. Hence why they occupy New Caprica rather than just nuke it completely. This divide between the two factions grows wider over the series, culminating in the Cylon civil war.

Behind the scenes the Cylon leader, Cavil (who you've not met yet) had his own motives, related mostly to his jelousy over how his creators went on to create other Cylon models.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So that guy in this versions "Imperious Leader"?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:So that guy in this versions "Imperious Leader"?
Sort of, only somewhat less absolute in his control, and not Steed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.