Season 1 (nBSG)

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Sionnach Glic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 pm

The webisodes can be missed. They're little more than some extra backstory for certain characters.

When you hit Season 4, though, I'd advise watching the webisodes with Gaeta in them. It helps to explain why he does what he does near the end of the show.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
User avatar
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 26014
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Poblacht na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Tsukiyumi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Uzume and I are part-way through Season 1 right now. I have to say, it's better than I expected.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
User avatar
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 21747
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:38 pm
Location: Forward Torpedo Tube Twenty. Help!

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Sionnach Glic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

The first two series are excellent. As are the first few and last few episodes of the third series. Then there are some good eps around the middle of series 4. Aside from those bits, though, the last two series are quite poor.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
User avatar
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 26014
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Poblacht na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Sonic Glitch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Tyyr wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote: :worried: I liked it. :takecover:

Well you're wrong.

Bullshit. It's an opinion about a fictional TV series, there can be no right or wrong. The ending was complete enough for me. Did it have it's issues? Yes, but what show doesn't.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
User avatar
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5998
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 1:11 am
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Tyyr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Sonic Glitch wrote:Bullshit. It's an opinion about a fictional TV series, there can be no right or wrong.

I disagree.

The ending was complete enough for me. Did it have it's issues? Yes, but what show doesn't.

Yes, however the primary issue was that it sucked so utterly as to be completely unbelievable. That's kind of a big issue.
Spoiler:
User avatar
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 10654
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: Jeri Ryan's Dressing Room, Shhhhh

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Sonic Glitch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Tyyr wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:Bullshit. It's an opinion about a fictional TV series, there can be no right or wrong.

I disagree.

Well that is certainly your right

The ending was complete enough for me. Did it have it's issues? Yes, but what show doesn't.

Yes, however the primary issue was that it sucked so utterly as to be completely unbelievable. That's kind of a big issue.
Spoiler:

Well then we'll just agree to disagree. How's that sound?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
User avatar
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5998
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 1:11 am
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Be nice you two
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
User avatar
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 17671
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby McAvoy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:44 am

Sionnach Glic wrote:It would certainly explain why the show just suddenly shifted direction and became Battlestar Coronation Street.

Mark - Make sure the watch the Miniseries first. It's not actually all that great, but you'll be lost as to what's going on for a good while if you don't see it.


I, myself a week ago started to watch nBsG as well. I tried it without the miniseries and was totally lost. The first episode was odd for me.

Now watching it from the miniseries to now, where I am the third episode into the fourth season.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
User avatar
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 am
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:48 am

Got through the mini series and first four episodes. Once I STOPPED comparing it to the original I started liking it. For some reason it seems the most "REALISTIC" of space combat sequences I've seen. The Galactica isn't by any means an uber ship. I put it about on par with Stargates Prometheus when it first launched and the way Enterprise SHOULD have been (ie nukes).

Imagine my surprise to see Richard Hatch (the original Apollo) appear as a prisioner. HA
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
User avatar
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 17671
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Deepcrush » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 am

I love the space battles. I know that there aren't any sounds that you could hear in real space combat... though there isn't a universal sound track either. So, I have no problem enjoying the sound effects.

Galactica is a beast. I love the way they designed it, the whole combat feel of it. C&C buried deep inside, protected hangers, AA and AS weapons, fighters are a support arm against larger ships and not uber little weapons like they are in SW.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
User avatar
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 18917
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Arnold, Maryland, USA

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Sionnach Glic » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:58 am

Mark wrote:Got through the mini series and first four episodes. Once I STOPPED comparing it to the original I started liking it. For some reason it seems the most "REALISTIC" of space combat sequences I've seen. The Galactica isn't by any means an uber ship. I put it about on par with Stargates Prometheus when it first launched and the way Enterprise SHOULD have been (ie nukes).


Aye, you have to approach it as a completely new show. With the exception of a few naming coincidences, it's really a seperate show altogether.

The battles, while having a tendancy to be rather short, are also damn good. If you've liked the ones you've seen so far, wait until you get to the third episode of the third series. :wink:

Mark wrote:Imagine my surprise to see Richard Hatch (the original Apollo) appear as a prisioner. HA


Yeah, that was a nice addition to the show. Without getting into spoilers, I'll just say that Hatch appears again with a much greater role later on.

Deepcrush wrote:Galactica is a beast. I love the way they designed it, the whole combat feel of it. C&C buried deep inside, protected hangers, AA and AS weapons, fighters are a support arm against larger ships and not uber little weapons like they are in SW.


I agree. It's how a starship should be designed. There are a few niggly little bits here and there, but for the most part it's one of the more well designed ships in sci-fi. I like the CIC in particular.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
User avatar
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 26014
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Poblacht na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 pm

You can almost FEEL her ponderously moving in space.....FTL drives slowly firing up. Then tension as they hurridly recall the fighters into a combat landing (which has GOT to tear up the Vipers). In the first episode where the Cylons appeared every 33 minutes, you could SEE the fatigue wearing at the crew.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
User avatar
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 17671
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Sionnach Glic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:09 am

I myself consider 33 to be one of the best episodes of the entire show. It's excelently done. You can feel the tension and fatigue amongst the crew. You can see them on the very edge of snapping. Also, as anyone who's ever stayed up more than one night in a row can attest to, it's one of the few instances where a TV show acurately shows how people react with no sleep.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
User avatar
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 26014
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Poblacht na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Ok....I'm now to the point where they are restoring the cylon fighter. The damned ship ITSELF is a bio synthetic cylon??????????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
User avatar
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 17671
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Postby kostmayer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 pm

I rather liked that bit. The Cylons themselves are living machines, why not their fighters?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
User avatar
kostmayer
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 2812
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to Battlestar Galactica

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron