Season 1 (nBSG)

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Season 1 (nBSG)

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've just finished this first season (after watching the miniseries); this was my first experience with the show. It's quite interesting -- despite the religious weirdness :P . Particularly it's interesting to see humans dealing with extreme difficulty and faced with tough choices. After 'Trek it was also a bit refreshing to see a rather more proper military org with a more competent commander (Adama) than most any Trek captain. They even pull it off with rather modest tech level for modern sci-fi! The ship herself looks solid (I've read about how she kicks ass -- no contest so far and it should be interesting to see her in more combat). This Gaius Baltar character is an oddball even without Cylon implant-driven daydreams, but he's rather an incorrigible coward.

Just my impressions. :mrgreen:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Season 1 (nBSG)

Post by Aaron »

I suggest you not progress past this season then. :(
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I suggest you do ;-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

To expand on Kendall's warning without going into spoilers, Season 3 takes a major nose-dive in terms of quality after the first four or five episodes. The finale is pretty damn good, though. It gets better in Season 4, particularly at the half-way point.

Oh, and watch out for the last episode. That one caused some controversy among fans. :takecover:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

I haven't watch season 4 yet.

Do not miss the websoides and Razor.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, this is my next project. Thanks to Netflix (for anyone who doesn't know, thats a DVD by mail company) I'm going to start nBSG to give it a fair chance. I'll start my brand new reviews as soon as I get through Season 1 :wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:To expand on Kendall's warning without going into spoilers, Season 3 takes a major nose-dive in terms of quality after the first four or five episodes. The finale is pretty damn good, though. It gets better in Season 4, particularly at the half-way point.

Oh, and watch out for the last episode. That one caused some controversy among fans. :takecover:
In reference to Season 3: I read somewhere, I believe in notes about Caprica actually, that the network tried to force the showrunners away from complicated story arcs and forced them to retool the latter half of the season into a bunch of stand-alone episodes.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Which is just stupid enough to be true. The show is a successful hit doing it one way, so lets force it away from that into something different.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would certainly explain why the show just suddenly shifted direction and became Battlestar Coronation Street.

Mark - Make sure the watch the Miniseries first. It's not actually all that great, but you'll be lost as to what's going on for a good while if you don't see it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And there's no real controversy about how nBSG ends. The first hour of the episode was pure awesome. The last half was incredibly stupid.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, nothing to argue against there.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:And there's no real controversy about how nBSG ends. The first hour of the episode was pure awesome. The last half was incredibly stupid.
:worried: I liked it. :takecover:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It would certainly explain why the show just suddenly shifted direction and became Battlestar Coronation Street.

Mark - Make sure the watch the Miniseries first. It's not actually all that great, but you'll be lost as to what's going on for a good while if you don't see it.

I've got the mini series at home to rewatch. I VAUGLY remember the mini series, as I was still using quite a bit at the time. Do I need to watch webisode and all that to keep up on whats going on? Are the webisodes cannon?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:It would certainly explain why the show just suddenly shifted direction and became Battlestar Coronation Street.

I've got the mini series at home to rewatch. I VAUGLY remember the mini series, as I was still using quite a bit at the time. Do I need to watch webisode and all that to keep up on whats going on? Are the webisodes cannon?
I don't think they're required watching. I never did, I'm sure they're certainly interesting but I don't believe they're required.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sonic Glitch wrote: :worried: I liked it. :takecover:
Well you're wrong.
Sonic Glitch wrote:I don't think they're required watching. I never did, I'm sure they're certainly interesting but I don't believe they're required.
They give you some background into characters who other wise don't get the screen time they need. Gaeta in particular.