The Finale

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Finale

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Katefan wrote:
I would rather say that we can agree to disagree. You obviously liked the series more than me and found elements in it that I am not picking up on. I think we can part like gentlemen on this...
Sounds good to me. :)
Although, it being the internet, it feels strange ending an argument without either one of us calling the other Hitler or a fucktard or something...
Heh, I tend to save the insults for people who deserve it.
Coalition wrote: For the Chief strangling Tory, did the Chief actually care for Cally, or wasn't there a comment he made about people marrying because there was nobody else available?
She was very firmly in second place up until Boomer's death on Galactica, at which point she was the next option for the Chief. Despite that, he did care strongly about her, even when they weren't in a relationship together.
Tsu wrote: Things I got from the finale:

1) this show was awesome.

2) Starbuck was a slut.

3) scrapping the ships was stupid.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Oh, except for the hour-long space battle that kicked ass for the first half of the finale. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:
Tsu wrote: Things I got from the finale:

1) this show was awesome.

2) Starbuck was a slut.

3) scrapping the ships was stupid.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Oh, except for the hour-long space battle that kicked ass for the first half of the finale. :wink:
That fell under "this show was awesome." :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, good. 8)

One thing I liked about the show was its space battle sequences. There weren't many of them, but they always had a certain majesty to them. I particularly loved the bit in Ressurection Ship Part 2 where the Galactica and Pegasus seem to be "orbiting" one of the basestars as they pound it with their guns.

And, of course, we have the greatness of the Battle of New Caprica.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

So I finally got around watching season 4 and the finale and I must say I honestly did not like it. True there where some plot holes, a few things which did not make much sense etc. but on the whole I felt none of those things were really a dealbreaker.

The reason I did not like it very much was that you honestly could not feel good about anything or anyone off the characters and even with a new home to call their own everything was very depressing.

People you could feel sorry for.
Adama copes with the loss of Laura. Laura is dead. Apollo goes hippie, Starbuck....well....I honestly enjoyed the few episodes everyone thought her dead, Chief Tyrol is broken, Romo Lampkin is now president of a few cave dwellers, I bet he is very happy and everyone else who ever was a nice person is long dead at this point. (Billy, Felix, Dee etc.)

People who had not a happy but at least passable ending:
The Tigh family, Baltar and Caprica.

Lifeforms with a happy ending:
Centurions who are finally free but I have a hard time feeling happy for them. Helo and Athena, the only positive surprise because I was convinced at this point that Helo also bought it.
Lampkins Dog. Pissing on earth probably beats pissing on a bulkhead.

And probalby most depressing of all, the fleet is gone, the beloved battlestar just gone and 150.000 years later you have proof positive that really nothing of this journey mattered because there is noone left to remember it and all memories of it are gone. Hera might have had some evolutionary role to play...but that is far from sure from my pov.

In conclusion I must say that the show had an excellent start and seasons one and two but became so depressing and demoralizing in s3 and s4 that is was almost hard to watch sometimes, treated the most likable characters very poorly and ended very depressingly.

ps. Was there a reason why they settled only on earth? I mean with the cylon threat gone why didn't some people go back to kobol for instance? Also a little outpost on new caprica might be worth thinking about because there surley is some infrastructure there.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Atekimogus wrote:And probalby most depressing of all, the fleet is gone, the beloved battlestar just gone and 150.000 years later you have proof positive that really nothing of this journey mattered because there is noone left to remember it and all memories of it are gone. Hera might have had some evolutionary role to play...but that is far from sure from my pov.
Agreed. At the very least, the ships would have provided help in case trouble occurred. Shelter, water reclamation, books, machine tools, etc. But no, all of it had to go into the sun. All it would have taken is one bad crop season, and the Colonial survirors would have been dead.

IMHO a better ending would have been where the Colonials got along with the Cylon Centurions, and they formed a unified culture. Eventually, they would have engineered themselves (nanotechnology and similar) until there was no physical difference between Centurion and organic. They take over the role of watching the galaxy, and helping developing races out.
Atekimogus wrote:ps. Was there a reason why they settled only on earth? I mean with the cylon threat gone why didn't some people go back to kobol for instance? Also a little outpost on new caprica might be worth thinking about because there surley is some infrastructure there.
Well, how many jumps were they from Kobol? They popped there during season 2 (Home, pt 1 & pt 2), and nothing after that. How far did they go from there to Earth? There was the supernova cluster that had the radiation fun (The Passage), plus a few other bits. At this point, Galactica is dead (cannot jump again), so they might as well stay where they are.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Coalition wrote: Well, how many jumps were they from Kobol? They popped there during season 2 (Home, pt 1 & pt 2), and nothing after that. How far did they go from there to Earth? There was the supernova cluster that had the radiation fun (The Passage), plus a few other bits. At this point, Galactica is dead (cannot jump again), so they might as well stay where they are.
True, but one the other hand they are now in possession of a fully functional basestar and a fleet with cylon upgraded FTL drives plus with the whole threat of hostile cylons gone.
Now I am not saying they should divide the population immediatly and disperse on three different planets but it should be a short to mid-term goal. After about 10-15 years used to repair and refuel the fleet minus galactica they would surley be able to do so given what we have seen.

As for Galactica, the most logical conclusion would be to finally take up the torch and were she left it and become a museum ship. You do not, repeat after me, do not stear the single one ship resonsible for the survivial of the human race into the sun. (This was about on the same level as the destruction of the E-D.)

So say we all.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly I like the think that Anders, halfway to the sun, decided "screw this" and took the fleet off for a joyride through the galaxy. Perhaps teaming up with the surviving Centurions.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Personaly I like the think that Anders, halfway to the sun, decided "screw this" and took the fleet off for a joyride through the galaxy. Perhaps teaming up with the surviving Centurions.
"Screw the plan I have the ships." A take on "Screw the Rules I have money" from Yugioh: The Abridged Series. :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I love that show. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I watched the entire series this last few months in my free time and I gotta say its one of my favorite shows yet. I didn't like the whole abandoning technology and living on Earth thing but overall I enjoyed the storyline. It was one hell of a run. Its a shame they can't go further along in the storyline.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Monroe wrote:I watched the entire series this last few months in my free time and I gotta say its one of my favorite shows yet. I didn't like the whole abandoning technology and living on Earth thing but overall I enjoyed the storyline. It was one hell of a run. Its a shame they can't go further along in the storyline.
He likely had to end it with a definite finish, to avoid being dragged back to make another series, or watch another director get handed the series and totally ruin it.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They should have got tossed back in time, and been the seeds that planted the colonies.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mark wrote:They should have got tossed back in time, and been the seeds that planted the colonies.
Haven't you learned anything from Enterprise?

Aesop 1: Time Travel never solved anything. :poke:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Mark wrote:They should have got tossed back in time, and been the seeds that planted the colonies.

Haven't you learned anything from Stargate?

There are no fish in my pond.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:

Haven't you learned anything from Stargate?

There are no fish in my pond.
Never watched Stargate, so such knowledge is sadly absent from my mind. :oops:

And... I am sorry, I don't get what you mean by fishes and pond. Is that an expression?