Film Based on oBSG to be Made?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Film Based on oBSG to be Made?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

February 20, 2009 - IGN Movies has learned that Universal Pictures is planning to turn the TV series Battlestar Galactica into a feature film with series creator Glen A. Larson being lined up to script and produce it.

We were informed that the film will be based on the original BSG series from 1978-79 rather than the recent reboot from Sci Fi Channel. The story followed a band of humans who were the only survivors of a devastating attack on their colonial homeworld by the vicious cybernetic race known as the Cylons. The survivors, led by Commander Adama, embark on a journey through space aboard the military vessel Battlestar Galactica to find refuge on a distant planet called Earth.

Battlestar Galactica has been in cinemas before. Re-edited versions of television episodes were released theatrically: Battlestar Galactica (1978), Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack (1978), and Conquest of the Earth (1980).

A Universal spokesperson refused to comment on rumored projects before ultimately denying it; we were later able to confirm our scoop independently. (This studio denial was reminiscent of Sony's dismissive response to our scoop about Jaden Smith starring in a Karate Kid remake, which we broke a YEAR before the project was officially announced.)

Although we understand that nothing is final yet on the BSG film front, fans should likely expect an official announcement on the project in the coming weeks.
Personaly, I call BS. A few years ago, before RDM brought out his version, a couple of directors tried to start up a series that was based on oBSG. The suits didn't like the idea, because they knew oBSG wouldn't sell today, hence why they went for RDM's darker and more "modern" version.

Source
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Film Based on oBSG to be Made?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

What a weird idea. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:A few years ago, before RDM brought out his version, a couple of directors tried to start up a series that was based on oBSG. The suits didn't like the idea, because they knew oBSG wouldn't sell today, hence why they went for RDM's darker and more "modern" version.
Actually, the suits did like the idea - a new series, continuing from where the old one left off, was approved, and they were all set to start filming in November 2001. Then the 11th September attacks happened which put everything back a lot, and because of various other commitments the crew fell apart.

BSG Wiki
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite right, as I've now discovered. They even had some props and sets in construction by the time it was cancelled, which you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiC-30keJSs
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cool video. :)

The more I learn about the Singer/De Santo version of BSG, the more I wish that had been the one to be made, rather than RDM's. Mainly thanks to the feel of it - I've never been a fan of either the ships or the music of nBSG (the Colonial Anthem excluded of course :wink:) and the mood of the new series, while far more realistic, feels wrong compared to its predecessor.

The old Galactica was one of the best looking ships in science fiction, had some of the best music, and had a wonderful sense of fun to it. :)

And I think we can both agree Starbuck was a far better character than Kara Thrace after the shenanigans of season 3.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll agree with you that the aesthetics of the nGalactica aren't great, though I though Pegasus looked pretty good.
Agreed on Starbuck. I want her to die. Painfully.

Other than that, I disagree. I quite like nBSG (well, with the exception of the soap-opera crap from Season 3).

Any idea what the S/DS version would be like in terms of theme and mood? In what ways would it be different to nBSG? Surely they weren't going for the camp feel of oBSG.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I would hope they go for the 70's haircuts.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Other than that, I disagree. I quite like nBSG (well, with the exception of the soap-opera crap from Season 3).
I like what I've seen of nBSG (which is the first half dozen episodes of S1, plus odds and sods from the rest), it just feels decidedly odd for it to be called BSG.
Any idea what the S/DS version would be like in terms of theme and mood? In what ways would it be different to nBSG? Surely they weren't going for the camp feel of oBSG.
No idea, the impresion I get is that it would have been distinctly more realistic than the original, without the extreme "woe is me" attitude that nBSG can frequently go overboard on. Plus, I dearly hope they'd have avoided the infuriating cinematography that seems to want to make everyone watching it dizzy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

My guess would be that it might not have the camp factor of oBSG, but at least it would be free of the film noir ad nauseam mood of nBSG. More of the hopeful conviction that there was an Earth waiting, rather than the fact that no matter what may have ended up really happening in nBSG, you just knew what they'd find.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I like what I've seen of nBSG (which is the first half dozen episodes of S1, plus odds and sods from the rest), it just feels decidedly odd for it to be called BSG.
Aye. Aside from similarities in the background (the last few survivors fleeing an evil mechanical race hellbent on killing them, with a single surviving battleship to protect them), they're pretty much completely different shows. They could change the names, and the designs of the Vipers and the Battlestars, and no one would ever realise they were meant to be the same.