New RPG ship name

Which name do you want for the ship?

Starbolt's Pride
40%
Unnamed
10%
Starduster
No votes
Other name(as in for the ship, not as the ship name)
50%

Total votes: 10
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Okay, howabout FSS or FLSS for FreeLancer StarShip? Freelancers do anything for money, like a mercenary. Or Paris Hilton when the rent's due.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the prefix would be established by the registering authority, and would be one of the ones that have been seen already.

Besides, I still don't think it would be good business to advertise our merc/privateer nature.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would work, though I'm still of the opinion that we should just lose the prefix altogether. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:I think the prefix would be established by the registering authority, and would be one of the ones that have been seen already.

Besides, I still don't think it would be good business to advertise our merc/privateer nature.
How would we get business if we don't advertise?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Real mercs don't advertise, either, you know. It's all a matter of knowing the right people.
For example, Thrall hears someone saying they need a merc ship, and reccomends us. We get the job done well, so that person will reccomend us to other people looking for mercs. Then they recomend us to their friends, and so on.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Various contacts and such?

I guess it all depends on the powers that be regard mercenaries and such.

I suppose it seems they operate with some freedom
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Mercenary

All the same it seems like if the Feds suspect mercenary activities are going on they'll be all too tempted to go sticking their noses in other peoples business again.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, we'd probably run into a few problems with the Federation
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

The ship should still have some sort of legal status so it can land in ligitament ports without having to create a false ID. The ship is unique and fake registrations would only last so long. We could just be suspected of questionable activities. Given the cargo bays it'd probably be a classified as a frieghter.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Given the cargo bays it'd probably be a classified as a frieghter.
I'd go with that. It doesn't seem to be illegal to be a privateer or mercenary par se. They were allowed on DS9 after all. And if we're just at a station to play some tongo and buy some supplies I don't know that it'd be a problem to be overt.

However at least the feds keep a close eye on when you show up.

I think being obvious mercenaries is kind of like being an obvious "gangsta". While they probably can't just ask you to leave you'll probably be watched closer in a store than other patrons.

That said we could just figure the feds can look all they want we know our rights, you gotta have a warrent to open up that cargo bay.
(well, actually I suppose they don't, but you get the idea).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree that the threads you weave with a few fake ID's/histories will definitely tend to ravel and break, and that a legitimate ID would be good to have. However, I also agree that it should be as a freighter/trader or some such; going around with a banner on your ship that says, "Hi there! We're mercenaries!" is bound to invite trouble.

As far as actually advertising for business, is there a 24th-century edition of Soldier of Fortune magazine? :P
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Having our ship registered as a freighter would probably work well.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

So here are some other possible prefixes. Independant StarShip: ISS. Frieghter StarShip: FSS. The regestry number would be NGL-xxxxx
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So here are some other possible prefixes. Independant StarShip: ISS. Frieghter StarShip: FSS. The regestry number would be NGL-xxxxx
I thought S.S. assumed the "independent" part - e.g., S.S. Vico, S.S. Mariposa, S.S. Botany Bay Those are all at least 15 yuears or so before our current timeframe, so things might have changed, though.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Or rather then having an s at the end, have a V. Replacing ship with Vessel.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

If you have a problem with S.S. just say so. I'm mean if you're worried about being mistaken for the Schutzstaffel, for just want to be different that's cool. I don't have a problem with being an ISV.