AN INTRODUCTION TO CHAKATS

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:Thanks for the abridged version. So, are you one of the atavistic ones? Any scales or anything?
What? That refers to behavior. Most heavily seen when a cub is threatened. Even the nicest Chakat will slit your neck open if you threaten hir cub.
No, it doesn't. Who told you that? The word "atavistic" means "showing traits of a pre-existing, ancestral, or deevolutionary genome." For example, a person with a vestigial tail could be referred to as displaying atavism. Even if you didn't know what it meant, the fact that the word showed up under the "Physiology" section should have been a tip-off.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:Thanks for the abridged version. So, are you one of the atavistic ones? Any scales or anything?
What? That refers to behavior. Most heavily seen when a cub is threatened. Even the nicest Chakat will slit your neck open if you threaten hir cub.
No, it doesn't. Who told you that? The word "atavistic" means "showing traits of a pre-existing, ancestral, or deevolutionary genome." For example, a person with a vestigial tail could be referred to as displaying atavism. Even if you didn't know what it meant, the fact that the word showed up under the "Physiology" section should have been a tip-off.
at·a·vism (ăt'ə-vĭz'əm)
n.
1. The reappearance of a characteristic in an organism after several generations of absence, usually caused by the chance recombination of genes.
2. An individual or a part that exhibits atavism. Also called throwback.
3. The return of a trait or recurrence of previous behavior after a period of absence.
see number three.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK - I was more familiar with #1... esp. as context indicated that definition here. However, I stand corrected (or at least, enlightened.) But how does that refer to the behavior you described, unless previous generation of Chakats DIDN'T act that way?
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:OK - I was more familiar with #1... esp. as context indicated that definition here. However, I stand corrected (or at least, enlightened.) But how does that refer to the behavior you described, unless previous generation of Chakats DIDN'T act that way?
Hmm...I always thought it refered to the behavior of our more feral counterparts, since they are the closest things Chakats have to ancestors.

Hey, I didn't write it so I'm not totally sure.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

A reference as to what part of the light spectrum Chakats can see

Emotional reference courtesy of Kacey Miyagami.

Oh, and if you see rage aimed at you, that would probably be the last thing you see :twisted:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I should hope we have plenty of the not so negative ones...i dont want to make you angry..

BTW when Starbolt comes of age....whats your stance on discipline? :S
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, we know precisely zero about Caitans or their development, so it's completely up in the air as to how long it'd be before Starbolt does come of age.

I've worked some stuff out from what we already know of the species, and some speculation based on other things. My predicted timetable for her development is down at the bottom of this post, the rest is the methodology as to how I worked it out. Feel free to skip on down to the conclusion if you can't be bothered reading how I worked it out.

Given that she's still breastfeeding, that should put her at a pretty early age. Let's say 4 - 5 months. Depending on how a Caitan developes, it could be anywhere between a few months and a few years before it can even walk or talk. Given it's apparent evolutionary traits, however, it would probably develop quicker than humans.

As to 'of age', that depends on two factors: physical development, and culture.

By 'physical development', I am of course refering to when she reaches full sexual maturity. Again, if we assume a quicker development necessitated by evolutionary factors, I'd peg puberty for Caitans at somewhere between 8 - 10 years of age.

Culture is even trickier. We know nothing much about Caitan culture. We don't even know how old M'Ress was, which would have been some help to us. However, moving slightly away from what is strictly Trek canon can assist us.
It was stated that the Caitians are related to the Kzinti, who made a few brief appearences in TAS. Now, if we assume these Kzinti are identical to Larry Niven's Kzinti, then that helps us a bit. Niven's Kzinti were very warlike and aggresive. Such a culture will undoubtedly have their young (males at least) come of age rather quickly, probably slightly after hitting puberty.
Now, Caitian culture seems radicaly different to Kzinti culture. However, let's assume that at some point the Caitians had a similar culture, which changed upon contact with alien races. That would make the change just a few centuries old.
Now, this is more than enough time for such conventions as when young are considered to be of age to change. As the race grows less agressive and warlike, there is less need to turn kids into men at a rapid pace. As such, let's add on a couple more years for that.
So, from that, let's assume that a Caitian child is considered to be of age at anywhere between 12 - 14 years. This is, of course, assuming that males and females are strictly equal among Caitians, which is by no means a given.

Conclusion:
So, let's work up a small chart here:
1 year old : Probably weaned off milk. Possibly walking.
1.5 - 2 years old : Probably able to talk.
8 - 10 years : Puberty.
10 - 14 years : Would be considered 'of age' among her native culture.

Most of that is, of course, just speculation based on the tidbits we do know about Caitian society. But I think it fits well with them, and their seeming biological ancestry.
When you yourself would consider her to be of age is, of course, up to you, though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I had actually worked some of this up when creating the Grr'lek character in the Daystrom thread, based on a combination of Earth felines and the societal and physiological changes inherent in becoming bipedal, sentent, and civilized.

Damn me for not keeping notes. :oops:
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That would work out. But i dont intend this Roleplay to just stop....at the end of our Kortaga mission. So she will reach the point of being a mischevious youth at somepoint.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Any chance you guys would let me in on this? I already have an idea in mind for how my character could be introduced after you head out after Kortaga. It isn't too contrived.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ultimately its up to Blackstar but I see no problems ^_^

Glad to see another person interested.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Tsukiyumi wrote:Any chance you guys would let me in on this? I already have an idea in mind for how my character could be introduced after you head out after Kortaga. It isn't too contrived.
Sure, we're still on planet so go ahead. The more the merrier
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Sure, we're still on planet so go ahead. The more the merrier
The on planet part is the tricky bit. I had an odd idea of being another individual out to get Kortaga, and you run across my (unsalvageable) derelict Raider while searching for him. Like I said, not too contrived.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good scenario. It would explain why you'd hook up with us at any rate.
Good to have you aboard. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

well go post your idea in our character thread so we can take a look