Computer Issue

Important stuff, please read before posting
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Computer Issue

Post by Sonic Glitch »

My home computer was turned off 2 nights ago, and did not turn back on yesterday. There are no power supply issues as both the printer and screen (which plug into the same surge protector, which plugs into a wall outlet) are both receiving power. What could cause it?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Computer Issue

Post by stitch626 »

Is it possible that the cable connecting the computer to the power is bad?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Use the power lead from either the printer or monitor and plug it into the base unit (if it's the three pin 'kettle lead' config of course!). Does it boot? Yes, faulty power lead > replace....no, base unit problem, is there ANY sign of life? Yes > poss hard drive failure or internal hardware failure of some sort....No > Possibly it's internal power supply unit has gone pop?

Whatever, be VERY careful when playing with electricity!!! :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Naturally the plugs for the screen and printer cables are a different size then the one that goes into the computer. :bangwall:
The PTD guy is coming to look at it tomorrow. I hope it's only a power issue.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I had a similar problem with my Dell, and not to be alarmist, but it was a motherboard issue. I don't know much about what kind of computer you have, but certain Dell PC's built between like 05-06 had issues where some part inside was malfunctioning and not properly allowing the computer to start.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Plain and simple: check the power cord first. Work your way up the list of possible problems; Like Bryan said, it's possible that it's your system BIOS, but you should examine every possibility up to that. PM me, and explain exactly what happens (or doesn't) when you try to boot up.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

It's a maybe 3 year old HP if that helps.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

me,myself and I wrote:It's a maybe 3 year old HP if that helps.
Sure doesn't. :)

Where's that PM?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Are you able to change the fuse in the base unit's power lead? Dare say it'll be a 13amp fuse that you could 'borrow' from another appliance? I'm betting it's the power lead itself (blown fuse or replacement lead) OR the internal PSU is shot.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though, please be careful when fiddling with electrics!!! :)
to have succeeded.”
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Internal power supply unit (PSU Harry?) crapped out. So the HP Guy is ordering a new one. Should take a week or two knowing companies and holiday weekends. :roll:
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

me,myself and I wrote:Internal power supply unit (PSU Harry?) crapped out. So the HP Guy is ordering a new one. Should take a week or two knowing companies and holiday weekends. :roll:
Hmmm. Could have been worse I suppose. Hope it's not costing you too much to replace as I imagine it's probably well out of warranty now?
to have succeeded.”
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

thelordharry wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:Internal power supply unit (PSU Harry?) crapped out. So the HP Guy is ordering a new one. Should take a week or two knowing companies and holiday weekends. :roll:
Hmmm. Could have been worse I suppose. Hope it's not costing you too much to replace as I imagine it's probably well out of warranty now?
No idea, but probably. Our internet supplier provides tech/computer support, they helped my dad a couple of months ago when the laptop hard-drive needed to be replaced. I don't know exactly how they charge.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah thats what I was trying to express with my Dell, though my lack of eloquence is startling.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?