Important stuff, please read before posting
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

How's this laptop deal?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Lenovo 3000 G530

I just ordered one. :)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: How's this laptop deal?

Only problem is that unfortunate bit about "Vista Home Premium..." but I'll remedy that. :wink:

Kubuntu 9.04 CD standing by.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well, what are you going to be using it for? :lol:
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

LaughingCheese wrote:Well, what are you going to be using it for? :lol:
Everything (I'm not a huge gamer but this is incredibly quick and responsive). The display (15.4", 1280 x 800 glossy widescreen) is simply stunning! It's a steal at $430.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

It has an integrated GPU, not good for games.

Although it depends on the game; you might be able to play Halo 1, C&C Generals, games like that.

Anything more intensive will require a dedicated GPU.

The CPU looks ok.

Here's a good site to find out about notebook GPU's:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison ... 130.0.html

If you want to do gaming, I recommend the Asus G50Vt-X5. I have the X1 model, the only difference is a slightly faster processor on mine.

Its aroun $800 from Best Buy.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If you want to do gaming, I recommend the Asus G50Vt-X5.
Seconded. Only downside is Vista, though I believe it comes with 64bit which is much better than 32 (from experience).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Well, what are you going to be using it for? :lol:
Everything (I'm not a huge gamer but this is incredibly quick and responsive). The display (15.4", 1280 x 800 glossy widescreen) is simply stunning! It's a steal at $430.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:
Seconded. Only downside is Vista, though I believe it comes with 64bit which is much better than 32 (from experience).
I'm running 64-bit Kubuntu linux on it, which just flies. For my needs, this laptop at just over $400 is a steal.

ETA: I'm well aware that this doesn't stack up next to hardcore gaming laptops - but I simply never got into that world for whatever reasons.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh I know. Thats what you said. I was just agreeing with LC. But your's sounds like an ok deal. Especially if you are getting rid of the Vista virus. :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Oh I know. Thats what you said. I was just agreeing with LC. But your's sounds like an ok deal. Especially if you are getting rid of the Vista virus. :mrgreen:
Yep. This OS runs on this machine like nobody's business :D She is pretty to look at too - the display really is gorgeous (and hi def audio is good for DVDs, especially if I plug in my external 2.1 speakers).

This was a hundred off regular price (shipped in 3 days for $2 to boot)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

OK, who'd you kill to get that good of shipping?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:OK, who'd you kill to get that good of shipping?
Believe it or not, that was the standard shipping option at TigerDirect! UPS ground, but it came in record time. :)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

stitch626 wrote:
I'm running 64-bit Kubuntu linux on it, which just flies. For my needs, this laptop at just over $400 is a steal.

ETA: I'm well aware that this doesn't stack up next to hardcore gaming laptops - but I simply never got into that world for whatever reasons.
Ok, I just don't know what games an integrated chip will play. :?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

LaughingCheese wrote:Ok, I just don't know what games an integrated chip will play. :?
Integrated games?

---

go on, give it to me.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

LaughingCheese wrote:Ok, I just don't know what games an integrated chip will play. :?
Integrated games?

---

go on, give it to me.
Um, what?

I meant, I'm not sure what current gen PC games an integrated chip will be able to play.

In other words, I think most 2008-2009 games won't run on an integrated chip.