Dumb computer question (re: changing file types)

Important stuff, please read before posting
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Dumb computer question (re: changing file types)

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, I've had trouble with this before, and again today, so I figured I'd ask some of the more computer-savvy guys here.
If I download a .mpg video file, I can't play it on Windows Media Player. Is there a way to change the file type so that I can watch it, or do any of you know of a program I can download that will run .mpgs?

Thanks.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Dumb computer question (re: changing file types)

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Okay, I've had trouble with this before, and again today, so I figured I'd ask some of the more computer-savvy guys here.
If I download a .mpg video file, I can't play it on Windows Media Player. Is there a way to change the file type so that I can watch it, or do any of you know of a program I can download that will run .mpgs?

Thanks.
Try VLC or just google "file converter".
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

:? Mpeg is a standard format in video; I've never had problems playing them in windows media player. Maybe you're missing a codec? Perhaps you could search mpeg codec.

VLC is good, and Media Player Classic is another freeware media player, if you still can't get 'em to play in WMP.

Yes, though, it is possible to change the file type, though in the case of video you need a conversion program to re-format the video. If your computer is suitable for gaming it should have little trouble converting video.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote::? Mpeg is a standard format in video; I've never had problems playing them in windows media player. Maybe you're missing a codec? Perhaps you could search mpeg codec.

VLC is good, and Media Player Classic is another freeware media player, if you still can't get 'em to play in WMP.

Yes, though, it is possible to change the file type, though in the case of video you need a conversion program to re-format the video. If your computer is suitable for gaming it should have little trouble converting video.
Bang on about the codec. Usually, WMP will attempt to download any codecs it feels it needs but doesn't have but most of the time, this fails. This might help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... /0079.mspx

Also, some videos are DIVX'ed and you'll need to download the video player/codec from:

http://www.divx.com/

Here's a great media file converter, best of all, it's free:

http://www.download.com/WM-Converter/30 ... 00602.html
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, to clarify:
Firstly, I misread the file type. It's something called ".mpg.002", which I've never heard of in my life.

Secondly, when I try to play it on Windows Media Player, I get the following error message:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

It also redirects me to a "help" page that's absolutely useless. Any advice?

For now, I'm going to see if I can play it on that DIVX thing Harry mentioned. I'll let you know if there's any success.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, DIVX didn't work either.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

If it ends in .002 it sounds like its the second half of a file thats been split. You can rejoin it with a free program called hjsplit. You will of course need the first half of the file.

I'd highly reccomend VLC. One nice feature I like is it's abilityy to play files straight out of an ISO image - you can backup a DVD to your hard drive as an ISO file and play the image file in VLC. No need to rip the disc.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yeah, the file is an MPEG (.mpg) but what you have isn't the full movie but a piece that's been digitally split. You need to find the rest of the pieces and join them with a file joiner and then you'll have a playable video.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I'm curious what the movie is now Rochey :) Files that are split like that have usually been so to make them small enough to upload (in pieces) to places like Rapidshare etc and then you piece them all back together and (bang) you have the whole movie.

Now come on, has it got nudey girls in it and can I have a look? :wave:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Split file? I thought it was an MI-6 file with a license to kill.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, yes, I think the problem is that it was split. I have the first half as well, and that plays fine despite ending in .001, so I'll look around for a way to fix them.

Thanks! :)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

HJSplit is what I tend to use. Its free and simple.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."