Another Laptop Thread

Important stuff, please read before posting
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Another Laptop Thread

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt trust ebay or anything like that buying computers, the chances of getting a lemon are to high.

Thanks for the help Ian :)
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

No problem, I'm not trying to talk you into getting a Mac, I'm just explaining why the prices are at the level they are.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Alrighty then, between Ian and my brother I have been convinced to buy a Mac, I have always wanted one. and now I know I'm not being ripped off unjustly I'm gonna go for it.

Now I just need to know what to buy in the range.

So to those of you who know about computers... What is the minimum specs I should settle for? This is a laptop computer I am going to be using for the next 2-3 years for pretty much everything. Internet surfing, a lot of music and movies downloading and watching (for this reason alone I am going to have to go for th 15" pro rather than the standard 13" mac) and my business administration work.

So Apples seem to be either 2 or 4GB of ram. Will 2 get me through everything I need to do or is it best to spend the extra $800 for the next best model and get the 4GB. Obviously 4 is better but is it really needed?

The processers for pro's are all between 2.4-2.6 so that isnt really an issue so that isnt an issue. A 2.4 is going to be vastly better than my 1.6. And the difference between 2.4 and 2.6 isnt even going to be noticable probably.

I always asume the HD space is irrelivant since you can just buy an external...

Basically my main question is the Ram since that seems to be the big difference between them.

Anything else I should know before buying a Mac.

Oh and if anyone cares to look here is where I am going to buy it from. Refurbished ones are about 300-500 cheaper and usually better quality since they have been gone over by and engineer. My Bro reconmended them.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

mac is the way forward to be fair, my dad runs his recording "studio" as it were through a powermac pro G5 I believe, and holy £(*)$&@£)$ its powerful. He's also got a macbook pro which does wonders for him but it's not something im over experienced with. Best thing about it is you can use the latest Mac OS (leopard?) to run BootCamp which lets you run windows. Sorted. LOL
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry Ian, when I said that Macs are too expensive, what I meant was that I don't need what they give. My current box could be built for less than $250 (though was more when I got it).

My only real problem with Macs is the white. Every Mac I see is that ugly (IMO) white. It annoys the daylights out of me.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

All new Macs are made from two single sheets of aluminum, pretty and strong.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And toxic.

Sorry, but I find white/metal very boring and ugly... unless it is on a starship.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

You know why else I hate Macs.
Every Mac user I have met (in RL) is an elitist, thinking their better than me just because they use a Mac and I don't. :x
Personally, I despise such an attitude. Such is the thing wars are made of. And genocides.

I'm not saying anything about you guys. Just everyone that I've met.
And I know that not everyone who uses a Mac is the way these people are, but they're action plus those stupid "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials have guaranteed that I will never buy an Apple product. Emotions bypass logic all too often.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We're getting a mac because my Diploma course is being furnished with a full suite of High power mac's only to be used by us at Brune Park. We're making sure that none of the software is incompatible. Besides, mum has always wanted one. I like the white personally. I think it looks clean and elegant.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I like the white ok but I think the aluminum looks cool. The Black macs are ugly, look like Dell :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

stitch626 wrote:And toxic.
It's actually very non-toxic stitch, they recycle the whole Mac. Plus they give free disposal of old Macs, and even allow for upgrading for lower cost if you bring it into the store, thus giving a Mac user reason to bring it into the store to get a new one, rather than just throwing it out.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Nickswitz wrote:
It's actually very non-toxic stitch, they recycle the whole Mac. Plus they give free disposal of old Macs, and even allow for upgrading for lower cost if you bring it into the store, thus giving a Mac user reason to bring it into the store to get a new one, rather than just throwing it out.
No, aluminum is toxic to humans. Which is why Rolaids are actually more harmful than beneficial.

Not that anyone would ever chew on their Mac, but you never know.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:Sorry Ian, when I said that Macs are too expensive, what I meant was that I don't need what they give. My current box could be built for less than $250 (though was more when I got it).

My only real problem with Macs is the white. Every Mac I see is that ugly (IMO) white. It annoys the daylights out of me.
Apple do not sell white macs anymore.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:You know why else I hate Macs.
Every Mac user I have met (in RL) is an elitist, thinking their better than me just because they use a Mac and I don't. :x
Personally, I despise such an attitude. Such is the thing wars are made of. And genocides.

I'm not saying anything about you guys. Just everyone that I've met.
And I know that not everyone who uses a Mac is the way these people are, but they're action plus those stupid "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials have guaranteed that I will never buy an Apple product. Emotions bypass logic all too often.
The attitude is not that the they are better than you, it's that their computer is better than yours, and it is. :happydevil:
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:
No, aluminum is toxic to humans. Which is why Rolaids are actually more harmful than beneficial.

Not that anyone would ever chew on their Mac, but you never know.
Are you in the US, if so I can understand your need to be told not to eat your computer. The rest of the world does not need such warnings. There are far more hazardous materials in just about every computer than aluminum.
email, ergo spam