Asus N50Vn-B1B vs Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Satellite A355 ?

Important stuff, please read before posting
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Asus N50Vn-B1B vs Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Satellite A355 ?

Post by LaughingCheese »

I'm currently in the market for a laptop (new, sorry).

I don't quite have the money yet, so I'm not buying anytime soon, but I have done a heck of a lot of research.

Basically I just want it to be able to play my older games: Halo, BF2/2142, TFD, C&C3:KW etc.

These are all games that have come out within last 2 or 3 years, C&C3:Kane's Wrath was released in 2007.

I'm currently looking at the Asus N50Vn-B1B, or the Toshiba Satellite A355-S6935.

Obviously the Asus has way better specs, but I'm not looking to play modern games like Crysis, CoD4, etc, games I don't even have, and probably will never get. I'm content with just my old games so, if the Toshiba gets the job done, why shouldn't I settle with that and avoid the premium that the Asus will cost me?

(And if I do get the Asus, which I would love to, but I'd rather be mobile sooner than later, I'll wait for Amazon to get them back in stock as I prefer buying directly from them since I won't have to pay shipping and they're usually cheaper anyway.)

What do you think?

Thanks

LC
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Asus N50Vn-B1B vs Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Satellite A355 ?

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt tie your hands, you dont know what systems you'll need access to in the next few years, get the best you can resonably afford.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Teaos wrote:I wouldnt tie your hands, you dont know what systems you'll need access to in the next few years, get the best you can resonably afford.
That's the problem, I can't really afford any of them right now... :lol:

I guess then maybe I should wait and get the best one I'm willing to spend on (which would be the asus one) :?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm sure both systems will run your older games, so I'm with Teaos; get the best thing you can reasonably afford.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I wonder if I should just build a system insteaed?

I'm thinking about the Thermaltake Lanbox.

I don't think that would be as economical tho, if I get a Radeon 4870. I would go ATI, unless I can find an 8800GTX somewhere. I don't the latest and greatest, just enough for my purposes.

EDIT: Nvm, decided against a desktop solution.
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

2 gig o'RAM, always get more than you need.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:2 gig o'RAM, always get more than you need.

Oops, I didn't know I actually posted that lol.

I decided that with an OS, monitor and everything, for that amount of money or for slightly more I could have an insanely powerful mobile solution.

So I think I'll just have to wait. :? :cry:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:...I decided that with an OS, monitor and everything, for that amount of money or for slightly more I could have an insanely powerful mobile solution.

So I think I'll just have to wait. :? :cry:
I've been thinking about getting a laptop myself. Building my own system has shown some drawbacks, and I'd also like something mobile.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We always build are own. Ever since our third pc in 2000 odd. Dad brought home our first computer from the Naval Base in Naples (we lived In Anguilara Sabazia, Italy at the time). When he came home next day, Mum had it in pieces and was in the process of putting it back together. Somehow, it worked better after she deconstructed it :mrgreen:
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:We always build are own. Ever since our third pc in 2000 odd. Dad brought home our first computer from the Naval Base in Naples (we lived In Anguilara Sabazia, Italy at the time). When he came home next day, Mum had it in pieces and was in the process of putting it back together. Somehow, it worked better after she deconstructed it :mrgreen:
ha ha ROFL :lol:

nice
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Dad was mortified.

Its kinda ironic that my phone is more powerful than the computer now. :D
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Reliant121 wrote:We always build are own. Ever since our third pc in 2000 odd. Dad brought home our first computer from the Naval Base in Naples (we lived In Anguilara Sabazia, Italy at the time). When he came home next day, Mum had it in pieces and was in the process of putting it back together. Somehow, it worked better after she deconstructed it :mrgreen:
I did that to my own computer a couple of months ago. It works pretty much the same way after I put it back together.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'll post this here since it's a laptop-related thread.

After messing with a broken HDD and being without a computer, my sister just bought This Dell Inspiron laptop from Best Buy. She needed a computer right away to do her course work for her Graduate program in education; she's in her last semester for the Masters degree and is teaching at a Queens public school (5th grade special ed).

Core 2 Duo T6400 (2.0 GHz)
4 GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB SATA HDD
15.6" WXGA widescreen display (1366 x 768 resolution)
DVD+/-RW (w/ double-layer support)
Built in 1.3 megapixel webcam, Dell wireless networking mini-card (802.11b/g) and 3 USB 2.0 ports
MS Windows Vista 64-bit with SP1

For $599.99
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Wow thats pretty good value.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I'll post this here since it's a laptop-related thread.

After messing with a broken HDD and being without a computer, my sister just bought This Dell Inspiron laptop from Best Buy. She needed a computer right away to do her course work for her Graduate program in education; she's in her last semester for the Masters degree and is teaching at a Queens public school (5th grade special ed).

Core 2 Duo T6400 (2.0 GHz)
4 GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB SATA HDD
15.6" WXGA widescreen display (1366 x 768 resolution)
DVD+/-RW (w/ double-layer support)
Built in 1.3 megapixel webcam, Dell wireless networking mini-card (802.11b/g) and 3 USB 2.0 ports
MS Windows Vista 64-bit with SP1

For $599.99

Thanks, but I need something with a dedicated video card, since I'm going to be using it for moderate gaming.

Also I like the Asus one because it has such a powerful processor, which is good for video editing, which I would like to do some on the mobile. :lol:

Thanks tho, much appreciated!