Asus N50Vn-B1B vs Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Satellite A355 ?

Important stuff, please read before posting
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Asus N50Vn-B1B vs Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Satellite A355 ?

Post by Reliant121 »

One word of Warning with Asus stuff. Our old laptop was an asus, and all Asus stuff comes with power management software. You can cut a pretty big chunk out of your processing power because of it. We managed to uninstall it, but it called background errors like you wouldnt believe.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:One word of Warning with Asus stuff. Our old laptop was an asus, and all Asus stuff comes with power management software. You can cut a pretty big chunk out of your processing power because of it. We managed to uninstall it, but it called background errors like you wouldnt believe.
Oh wow, thanks! :shock:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

No problem, What we're here for :)

I just wanted to warn you before you got anything. It was an older laptop, admittedly, but you could effectively half the processing power.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:No problem, What we're here for :)

I just wanted to warn you before you got anything. It was an older laptop, admittedly, but you could effectively half the processing power.
Wow....my dad just got an Asus laptop.

Think that will be a problem for him?

I hope its not on the newer ones, since that Asus one does look pretty sweet.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Depends what he uses it for. For standard administrative duties then it should be fine. In fact, it'll probably be pretty stable WITH the management. If he wants to do gaming with modern games, then it could be an issue.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Or how about this one:

MSI GX62-0001US

Probably better for gaming than the Toshibas, but still more realistic price wise than the Asus N50 series.

But I think the MSI probably has power management software; I think all laptops do.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

most do come with it, yes. But normally its a small background system. Asus laptops have it running far more prevalently, and its often pretty power hungry.

The MSI looks good. And its an NVIDIA graphics card, I would ALWAYS recommend NVIDIA cards. We've always come back to them, and I run some pretty heavy games.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:most do come with it, yes. But normally its a small background system. Asus laptops have it running far more prevalently, and its often pretty power hungry.
Ah, I see.
The MSI looks good. And its an NVIDIA graphics card, I would ALWAYS recommend NVIDIA cards. We've always come back to them, and I run some pretty heavy games.
Vs ATI?

Do you know anything about MSI quality wise?

I read one review that said their GT735 (I think) was low quality construction, but that was a single review, I probably shouldn't take single reviews too seriously.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've read alot of reviews on the GX62, and they all come out pretty well. So it'd be a good bet.

And yeah, Vs. ATI. i've had a couple of ATI cards in the past, but they have been as successful with the NVIDIA, with my family at least. And my family are nerds when it comes to PC's. My mum knows three times as much as I do about virtually everything, except for Internet social networking and gaming.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:I've read alot of reviews on the GX62, and they all come out pretty well. So it'd be a good bet.

And yeah, Vs. ATI. i've had a couple of ATI cards in the past, but they have been as successful with the NVIDIA, with my family at least.
I guess I'm wondering why you chose Nvidia vs ATI?

Any specific reason?
And my family are nerds when it comes to PC's. My mum knows three times as much as I do about virtually everything, except for Internet social networking and gaming.
Awesome, lucky you! :lol:

My dad kind of knows computers, but I'm the most likely ultra nerd in my family (even though math isn't my strong point :P).
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I've read alot of reviews on the GX62, and they all come out pretty well. So it'd be a good bet.

And yeah, Vs. ATI. i've had a couple of ATI cards in the past, but they have been as successful with the NVIDIA, with my family at least.
I guess I'm wondering why you chose Nvidia vs ATI?

Any specific reason?
And my family are nerds when it comes to PC's. My mum knows three times as much as I do about virtually everything, except for Internet social networking and gaming.
Awesome, lucky you! :lol:

My dad kind of knows computers, but I'm the most likely ultra nerd in my family (even though math isn't my strong point :P).
NVIDA: Hard to say. They just seemed to integrate better, and always seemed to perform better. Besides, the software was less intrusive.

I fail at maths. Not just because I hate it.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

All of the new Asus laptops do not have the power management thing (at least not one that I can find), and most are about $100 cheaper than any equivalent laptops from other companies. And their gaming one is great.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

meh, i'm just going from personal experience. Choose what you will.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well guys, I've decided to go with the G50Vt.

Its got some pretty amazing specs for the price.

Specifically G50Vt-X1 from Best Buy. (BBs warranty sucks compared to Asus's standard global, but you can't beat the specs on the X1 for only $949. WOW)

Very stylish too with all the LEDs and back panel design. I was actually looking at the X5 first but it turns out the X1 has a more powerful CPU and is cheaper than the X5 being an "old" design.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

What are its full specs?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.