What to do with my ancient Compaq Presario 5000?

Important stuff, please read before posting
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What to do with my ancient Compaq Presario 5000?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mikey wrote:The Amiga's synthesizer hardware was WAY ahead of its time. We actually featured one in a battle-of-the-bands.
So I gather the Amiga was kind of like the Mac, in that it was the "cool" thing of the era?

At least for some of you?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Mikey wrote:The Amiga's synthesizer hardware was WAY ahead of its time. We actually featured one in a battle-of-the-bands.
So I gather the Amiga was kind of like the Mac, in that it was the "cool" thing of the era?

Not really, the Mac was the Mac of the Amiga times, the Amiga was a cheap alternative that didn't come close. I used both at that time.
email, ergo spam
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

IanKennedy wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:

Not really, the Mac was the Mac of the Amiga times, the Amiga was a cheap alternative that didn't come close. I used both at that time.
Oh right, don't know why I said that.

Mac existed back then too. Duh. :roll:

Were they just as overpriced back then as they are today? :lol:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I wouldn't say Macs are overpriced, so much as they're just made with superior, and therefore more expensive technology.

Still way out of my range, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I wouldn't say Macs are overpriced, so much as they're just made with superior, and therefore more expensive technology.

Still way out of my range, though.
Um, aren't they all Intel now?

I can build a PC desktop with Intel hardware, so wouldn't that be the same insides as a mac then?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:Um, aren't they all Intel now?

I can build a PC desktop with Intel hardware, so wouldn't that be the same insides as a mac then?
Are they? I hadn't heard that. I built my PC with mostly Intel hardware.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Um, aren't they all Intel now?

Are they? I hadn't heard that. I built my PC with mostly Intel hardware.
Yup. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Intel_transition
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Mac uses a intel processor. The rest of its hardware is better quality than most other systems and is put together better. Its designed as a package where as most other products are a kitbash.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Teaos wrote:Mac uses a intel processor. The rest of its hardware is better quality than most other systems and is put together better. Its designed as a package where as most other products are a kitbash.
Ahh. I see, thanks.

Is that other hardware not off-the-shelf hardware then?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well yes and no, you can technically buy almost everything that goes into a Mac seperatly. But Mac tends to use certain products and have contracts for hardware specifically made for them. Making the whole system work together better.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Teaos wrote:Well yes and no, you can technically buy almost everything that goes into a Mac seperatly. But Mac tends to use certain products and have contracts for hardware specifically made for them. Making the whole system work together better.
I see, thanks.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'ma happy bunny when it comes to macs. My "delivery school" for the Diploma (where the nitty gritty media stuff is taught), Brune Park, Has used the friggen huge budget they get per student for this course to get a suite of high range Mac desktops....and only my group get to use them. even better, has now decided to get a mac at home...

GET IN THERE!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

LaughingCheese wrote:
IanKennedy wrote: Not really, the Mac was the Mac of the Amiga times, the Amiga was a cheap alternative that didn't come close. I used both at that time.
Oh right, don't know why I said that.

Mac existed back then too. Duh. :roll:

Were they just as overpriced back then as they are today? :lol:
Macs are not currently overpriced. For equivalent hardware from Dell or any other PC manufacturer you will find a Mac is cheaper. That said back then they were expensive.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

We've been through this before somewhere, yes, Macs use intel CPUs, however, everything else is designed and made by apple. Yes, they may use chips and graphics cards and the like from other companies but the design is done by apple. Just like Dell, they design all their own hardware. Where the difference with the Mac comes in is the level of the stuff that is built in as standard. Each and every mac has a built in webcam, very fast memory, fast CPUs, fast high capacity disk, firewire ports (for connecting camcorders disk etc) and so on and so forth. They are high spec machines, go configure an equivalent Windows PC and you will usually get a more expensive price.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I tried to configure a PC to the same specs as a Mac not long ago when I was looking at buying a Laptop.. I couldnt. Most PC's dont even come close to a Mac, even high end ones.