What's up with the promotion announcements?

Important stuff, please read before posting
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What's up with the promotion announcements?

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Incidentally, the ranks go up to 5 Pip Admiral. You can't get to six pips no matter how much you post.
Out of curiousity, is six-star specifically limited to you and Ian, or would any additional Admins appointed get the rank as well?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Other Admins would also get it, but I can't imagine needing other Admins.

If we end up with hundreds and hundreds of active members, so we need dozens of moderators, I can imagine making a few "senior moderators". But I don't see why we would need additional admins unless Ian and I both decided to retire completely from the boards, which seems unlikely.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Rank and abilities do not necessarily go together. For example we are Admins, Moderators and Forum users. Which means we can do admin stuff, moderator stuff and normal posting stuff.

Separate from that we are on a 'special' rank called 'Admin', we could easily make other admins without granting them that special rank. There's also a special rank called 'Scum of the universe' which we used to give to spammers, now we just delete them. Special ranks are simply ones that you hold independently from the number of posts you make, whereas normal ranks are post count dependant.

We could for example have a 'special' rank of 'Spam master general' and give it to anyone we want, not looking at anyone in particular. :lol:
email, ergo spam
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We could for example have a 'special' rank of 'Spam master general' and give it to anyone we want, not looking at anyone in particular.
:worried:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:
We could for example have a 'special' rank of 'Spam master general' and give it to anyone we want, not looking at anyone in particular.
:worried:
Look on the bright side - Mark and Mikey are posting even faster than you are now, so at least there'll be a choice.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:You'd need a separate thread just for Mark's promotions. :lol:
Perhaps I should have started as an enlisted man :mrgreen:

There ya go, Graham and Ian. You can extend the rank structure by adding all the enlisted ranks, leading up to officers. Gee, that wouldn't be TOOOOO much work, would it? :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mark wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:You'd need a separate thread just for Mark's promotions. :lol:
Perhaps I should have started as an enlisted man :mrgreen:

There ya go, Graham and Ian. You can extend the rank structure by adding all the enlisted ranks, leading up to officers. Gee, that wouldn't be TOOOOO much work, would it? :mrgreen:
It's easy, the problem is that everyone would suddenly have a drop in rank. The number of posts gives you your rank and suddenly they wouldn't have enough to be the rank they currently are. Do you really want me to demote everyone on the forum :happydevil:
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Demote us?

I know where you live :twisted: well the city. thats good enough for me :Nerd:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:::looking around mischeviously:::

Ummm, can I think about that while my Kevlar body suit is on order? :worried:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Incidentally, the ranks go up to 5 Pip Admiral. You can't get to six pips no matter how much you post.
You say that now but what happens when Rochey takes you out and assumes your identity?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Then Deepcrush is going to regret all the times he's shot Rochey in the head.

:sword:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mark wrote:Then Deepcrush is going to regret all the times he's shot Rochey in the head.

:sword:
I don't know who to cheer for. Or if any one of these people winning is a good thing. "Graham vs. Rochey vs. Deepcrush. No matter who wins, we all lose."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

IanKennedy wrote: It's easy, the problem is that everyone would suddenly have a drop in rank. The number of posts gives you your rank and suddenly they wouldn't have enough to be the rank they currently are. Do you really want me to demote everyone on the forum :happydevil:
I certainly wouldn't object to being made a permanent TOS (Movie) Petty Officer. Because, you know...NCO's get all the chicks. :lol:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

They also die less than officers do in trek.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:They also die less than officers do in trek.
I guess that's Roddenberry's Air Force past influencing the show. :[