Moderators

Important stuff, please read before posting
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Re: Moderators

Post by Grundig »

Mark wrote:If we all KNOW that this is how Blackstar debates, and we still choose to debate, or continue the debate past a certain point, then shame on who exactly?
I totally agree with this. It's hard for me personally not to get caught up in things when a debate gets out of hand. But you know, this isn't an isolated incident by any means. If Blackstar likes to argue for the fun of it, then so be it. But it can be disruptive to those who want to continue the topic thread - like the 'funny pictures' topic, for example. That's a good thread IMHO, and I was kindof peeved that the thing got hijacked by this recurring pattern. I don't necessarily want to ban Blackstar, but I don't want that to keep happening. Why not take it to PMs if two people are having an argument?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Right, I've made up my mind: ban him.

Of course, my previous offer still stands. If he, or anyone else on this board at all, can give me one reason why we should not ban him, then I'll change my vote.
Until then, ban.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

As stated previously, for openly admitting to trolling (I argue for the fun of it) and for repeatedly being a jerk in more threads than I can shake a stick at, I would go with a ban.
email, ergo spam
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

How about a formal "probation" for Blackstar? I know that you all have been putting up with hir for alot longer than me, and likely three times as frustrated, but I feel one more chance should be warrented. I agree that a message needs to be sent, that enough is enough, but I can't help but feel that Blackstar has contributed to this forum as well, especially in the role playing areas. Let's judge fairly, the good and the bad.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone actually been banned from the forum yet?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

IanKennedy wrote:
I know a can be annoying and yes I argue just for the fun of it.
This is not only an open admission to trolling but also jerkdom in the extreme.
No, it's not. It's admitting that I know you guys find me annoying and that I enjoy an arguement. The definition of a troll is
is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion
I would like to emphasize the word intention. I never intentionally provoke people or disrupt discussions.
It was perfectly possible for you to simply say "I concede
That wouldn't be responding to your points.

Why should we not ban you? What do you continue to this community that makes up for your constant disruptive behaviour, dishonesty and general annoyance?
1)Technically I haven't broken any rules, simply pissed people off unintentionally, something many of you are guilty of to some extent. 2) I feel I was forced into responding by Seafort which I was then 'warned' for when I did rather then discuss what he didn't like about my forced response like the mature person he claims to be. 3) I have several RP characters and am in charge of an RP which I have invested a lot of my time in and prefer not to be forced to abandon them. 4) Other then times when I become increadibly stubborn, which I do feel that I've been improving on by the way as I have been conceding when I was in the wrong more and more lately, I do think I have provided interesting insights, opinions, and sometimes very different if sometimes inaccurate points of view on things, which can provide for stimulating discussions. 5) I have really been trying to improve on my debating issues such as being stubborn, and with help from you guys I think my debating issues will eventually be fixed.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blackstar was already on probation, after his previous banning. He's shown no signs of improvement, as this latest fiasco shows.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:Blackstar was already on probation, after his previous banning. He's shown no signs of improvement, as this latest fiasco shows.
I respectfully disagree, I have been trying to improve, as shown by the number of times I've conceded rather then talk around in circles as often as I used to. I have been trying to improve, but you can't expect me to change overnight.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

:bangwall: and for the third time in a row you totally ignore the points you are not able to counter. For you to answer if you can:

1) You are being a jerk
Yes / No

2) Being a jerk is against the rules
Yes / No

3) You have broken the rules
Yes / No
email, ergo spam
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Blackstar, I'm honestly trying to give you a chance here. Answer me this:
Why should we allow you to stay on this board? What do you contribute to this community other than annoyance and disruptiveness?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You guys would know better than me. HAS Blackstar gotten better as s\he is saying? I first couple of threads of Blackstars when I first got here went round and round and round and round, and really got no place. Now, I HAVE seen Blackstar on OCCASION recently finally give up and conciede. Is this an imporovement, gang?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

IanKennedy wrote::bangwall: and for the third time in a row you totally ignore the points you are not able to counter. For you to answer if you can:

1) You are being a jerk
Yes / No

2) Being a jerk is against the rules
Yes / No

3) You have broken the rules
Yes / No
First of all, I do not believe I was being a jerk. Second of all, I can't find the definition of a jerk in the context that you're using it to. From the American Heritage dictionary:
jerk1 (jûrk)

v, jerked, jerk·ing, jerks.

v.tr.
To give a sudden quick thrust, push, pull, or twist to.
To throw or toss with a quick abrupt motion.
To utter abruptly or sharply: jerked out the answer.
To make and serve (ice-cream sodas, for example) at a soda fountain.
Sports. To press (a weight) overhead from shoulder height in a quick motion.
v.intr.
To move in sudden abrupt motions; jolt: The train jerked forward.
To make spasmodic motions: My legs jerked from fatigue.
n.
A sudden abrupt motion, such as a yank or twist.
A jolting or lurching motion.
Physiology. A sudden reflexive or spasmodic muscular movement.
jerks Involuntary convulsive twitching often resulting from excitement. Often used with the.
Slang. A foolish, rude, or contemptible person.
Sports. A lift in which the weight is heaved overhead from shoulder height with a quick motion.
phrasal verbs:
jerk off Vulgar Slang.

To masturbate.
jerk around
To take unfair advantage of, deceive, or manipulate.

[Origin unknown.]

jerker jerk'er n.
jerkingly jerk'ing·ly adv.
SYNONYMS jerk, snap, twitch, wrench, yank. These verbs mean to move with a sudden short, quick motion: jerked the rope twice to pull it taut; snapped the lock shut; was twitching her mouth nervously; wrenched the stick out of his hand; yanks the door open.

jerk2 (jûrk)
tr.v., jerked, jerk·ing, jerks.
To cut (meat) into long strips and dry in the sun or cure by exposing to smoke.

adj.
Being or relating to a method of barbecuing meat that has been seasoned and wrapped in leaves of the allspice tree: jerk chicken; jerk pork.

[Back-formation from JERKY2.]
I can't find one instance of the definition you're using so the exact meaning is impossible for one to judge fairly.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I've seen it once. Graham convinced him he was wrong when he was going on for 6 pages before about him being right. Even then he ended by saying you are right, but I still think my point of view is correct and will continue to hold it. Which could just about be thought of as a slight improvement. It is however, an enormously high noise to signal ratio.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blackstar wrote:I can't find one instance of the definition you're using so the exact meaning is impossible for one to judge fairly.
Your own damn post wrote:Slang. A foolish, rude, or contemptible person.
Does that help? :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Blackstar, for f*ck's sake drop the pointless nitpicking. You know very well what he meant and you're just p*ssing more people off.

I'll ask you this one last time: give me one reason why we should let you stay on the board. Tell me one thing you contribute to this community.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Clearly I mean "To make and serve (ice-cream sodas, for example) at a soda fountain", but seriously you can't tell which of those I mean? Would the boys and girls like to tell him.

Darn you Seafort you've gone and given the game away. :bangwall:

Edit: Seriously, Blackstar did you really think we had a rule against making ice-cream sodas, I think not. Your response here is typical of your behaviour elsewhere on this forum. You deliberately ignore people who you aren't bright enough to come up with an answer for, then when cornered try to be 'clever'. Note that 'clever' is not actually being clever the ''s mean that doing things like quoting a dictionary in an attempt to put off the inevitable is just plain dumb and not clever in any way. It make you look stupid and annoys everyone else that has to read your rubbish.
email, ergo spam