"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Why NOT to Join the Federation

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, no. If I ever found myself in the Federation I'd drop to my knees and weep tears of joy. I'm not even gonna give that video clicks.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah, no. If I ever found myself in the Federation I'd drop to my knees and weep tears of joy. I'm not even gonna give that video clicks.
You abstain from voting on the Federexit?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah, no. If I ever found myself in the Federation I'd drop to my knees and weep tears of joy. I'm not even gonna give that video clicks.
You abstain from voting on the Federexit?
I vote against the idiocy of leaving the Federation. Eddington can go fuck off.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Michael Eddington, the Nigel Farage of the Federation.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Pfft. I would want to be in the Federation just so I can have a chance to be in Starfleet. Between Voyager or the E-D their rooms are bigger than my place. Shorter commute time too...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Would you really want to be in Starfleet? I mean, the casualty rate on those crews is awful high.

If I had to be in Starfleet, I want to be in Turbolift control (referenced in Hide & Q). I picture it as a guy who sits in front of one of those big ship diagrams, with little glowing dots tracking back and forth. That's all you do, all day long, is watch the dots move around. Great if you want to do some reading, or catch a nap. And none of that "The landing party will consist of Captain Kirk, Commander Spock, Lieutenant Sulu, Ensign Chekov, and Ensign Ricky. Ensign Ricky, please make sure you are wearing a red uniform before beaming down." Nonsense. Nice and safe.

...until the Borg blow the whole ship up, anyway.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Would you really want to be in Starfleet? I mean, the casualty rate on those crews is awful high.

If I had to be in Starfleet, I want to be in Turbolift control (referenced in Hide & Q). I picture it as a guy who sits in front of one of those big ship diagrams, with little glowing dots tracking back and forth. That's all you do, all day long, is watch the dots move around. Great if you want to do some reading, or catch a nap. And none of that "The landing party will consist of Captain Kirk, Commander Spock, Lieutenant Sulu, Ensign Chekov, and Ensign Ricky. Ensign Ricky, please make sure you are wearing a red uniform before beaming down." Nonsense. Nice and safe.

Sure. But I would just make sure I am not on a ship named Enterprise or near Enterprise. Like I would be on the opposite side of Federation space thousands of light years away from Enterprise.

That and I would just work on the shuttles. Shuttle maintenance crew. Have yet to hear anyone from that department get voluntold to be the monster's sacrifice.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Sure. But I would just make sure I am not on a ship named Enterprise or near Enterprise. Like I would be on the opposite side of Federation space thousands of light years away from Enterprise.
I'm not so sure of that - at least the Enterprise (almost) always survives. Ships not named Enterprise have a nasty habit of turning out to be starship-scale redshirts.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Would you really want to be in Starfleet? I mean, the casualty rate on those crews is awful high.

Sure. But I would just make sure I am not on a ship named Enterprise or near Enterprise. Like I would be on the opposite side of Federation space thousands of light years away from Enterprise.

That and I would just work on the shuttles. Shuttle maintenance crew. Have yet to hear anyone from that department get voluntold to be the monster's sacrifice.
Well there's a question. The Enterprise gets into weird stuff on a bi-weekly basis. Is it just that the Enterprise is supremely lucky (or unlucky, depending on your perspective)? Is the Enterprise constantly getting into all these weird missions, whilst all the other ships in Starfleet pretty much have a pedestrian time of things?

Or do ALL the ships constantly get involved in this kind of weird crap? Given how many narrow escapes the Enterprise has, you'd imagine if that's happening to every ship all the time Starfleet would be losing ships at wartime rates pretty much all the time.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

Well there's a question. The Enterprise gets into weird stuff on a bi-weekly basis. Is it just that the Enterprise is supremely lucky (or unlucky, depending on your perspective)? Is the Enterprise constantly getting into all these weird missions, whilst all the other ships in Starfleet pretty much have a pedestrian time of things?

Or do ALL the ships constantly get involved in this kind of weird crap? Given how many narrow escapes the Enterprise has, you'd imagine if that's happening to every ship all the time Starfleet would be losing ships at wartime rates pretty much all the time.
LOL For some reason this just came to mind, RK's star wars crossover has a scene with a Star Destroyer Captain begging to go back to the Empire because there is an anomaly here every blinkin' day. LOL
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well at least being on one of the important worlds Earth, Vulcan Betazed etc seems to be very safe.

But what Enterprise experiences all the time happens throughout the fleet then yeah I'd rather be in a barn on Earth making furniture for my own amusement.

I think for the most part I think majority of the fleet is safe. Remember that scene with Bashir in FS9 with that chief medical officer that won the position over him? Yeah I'd imagine it's mostly like that. Boring.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Well at least being on one of the important worlds Earth, Vulcan Betazed etc seems to be very safe.
Um, Earth was targeted or came close to destruction in Star Trek The Motion Picture, Star Trek IV, First Contact, Nemesis, Star Trek 2009, Best of Both Worlds, The Dominion War, the whole of season 3 of Enterprise, and The Temporal Cold War. It's an insanely dangerous planet to live on!

Betazed was attacked and conquered by the Dominion.

The Romulans attempted to invade Vulcan (In fairness, it was a bit of a crap invasion)
But what Enterprise experiences all the time happens throughout the fleet then yeah I'd rather be in a barn on Earth making furniture for my own amusement.

I think for the most part I think majority of the fleet is safe. Remember that scene with Bashir in FS9 with that chief medical officer that won the position over him? Yeah I'd imagine it's mostly like that. Boring.
One would hope so. I guess it also depends on the ship and the mission. The Enterprise is the flagship, and I expect it's policy to send it to the highest threat/most difficult problem available at any given point. I wouldn't be surprised if most explorer-type ships have a similar time, though less so, since they go out into the great unknown.

But the average Excelsior or Miranda (in TNG) probably shuttles around between starbases or wanders up and down the neutral zone, with not much happening.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The ship that Bashir's rival was on was a Nebula. I'd imagine that ship had a similar mission profile as Galaxy class ship. But the E-D was the flagship

Yeah when I wrote that I wasn't really thinking about how many times Earth was in danger.