Trek Law

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Trek Law

Post by Teaos »

So GKs post in Discovery about Netflix being pissed at a non original Trek show had me thinking.

Obviously Netflix just went on faith for them not to mess up. Bad move.

I was thinking that we could try and make like 10 rules that they could submit, if you make trek you must follow these rules. They can’t be to specific otherwise it’s just pointless and you’ll need a hundred rules, or to confining as you have to let the writers find their own feet.

Something like:

No prequels (would love that but I think it wouldn’t sell).

Damage to ship must last over episodes.

No character death/resurrection

No hologram episodes

Rules that would hopefully make for a better show and not piss of true fans.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Trek Law

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well, you already discriminated absolutely ALL the shows with your few points....
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

A prequel for me is not a blasphemy automatically, If you want to do it, however, you must start with a very clear idea in mind, and have thought about how to handle the consequences (I mean if you want to do with respect for what was done before).
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:A prequel for me is not a blasphemy automatically, If you want to do it, however, you must start with a very clear idea in mind, and have thought about how to handle the consequences (I mean if you want to do with respect for what was done before).
Do it Lucasfilm way, not CBS way...

(I am thinking Rogue One. Can The Phantom Menace really be called a prequel when that's where Lucas started writing in 72?)
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

or do as Coto did in the fourth of Enterprise.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The blindingly obvious one "Respect your own property" ie the shows you already have and have sold well.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Own 100% of the property.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

:D :D
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Crew will be changed out over time, like real-life ships. This could be due to a crew member dying on a mission, or transferred out due to needs of the service. The actors would have multi-year contracts, and when their character is changed out they become one of the masked aliens seen in the episodes. This prevents people from guessing that the actor with the 1-year contract will be one to die/leave.

If an idea is used in one episode, results of that idea will be used as well. For example, Ship in a Bottle had Dr Crusher running a full bioscan on Captain Picard towards the end. Imagine combining that with a basic monitoring program, so if the crew member's vitals go out of certain limits the crew member is beamed to sickbay, or at least some sort of alert is flashed.

Troubles caused by technology failures will result in better tech safety in the future. For example if there is a holodeck malfunction where people are trapped, then power cut-outs will be installed to force halt the holodeck so it does not happen again. Protective clothing will be worn in case of trouble, such as cooling leaks in Enginering.

Aliens will be played smart. For example in Voyager, the Maalon Captain would have agreed to share the antimaatter waste cleaning technology, but instead kept it for himself and used it to make much more money. When Voyager was put on trial, they would use actual examples of what Voyager had been doing to prove Voyager is a danger (such as Captain Janeway leaving the Vidiian base intact, making it look like she was working with the Vidiians to get more biosamples).

If a race is a major threat in the future, then they will be just as big if not bigger threat in the past. Enterprise's Regeneration episode would have been much scarier if 2-3 main characters had died, instead of Phlox being able to slowly fight off the assimilation nanites (now if the Borg had only managed to scratch him, and the crew had to keep amputating parts of Phlox's body to try and get rid of them, that would have been scary). To me, that episode should have had people tuning in because it looks like the entire series is going to end right there.

Aliens have their own plans, and in some cases all the ship can do is try to guide them, instead of stopping them. Sometimes guiding is not possible either, so all the ship can do is reduce any damage that will happen

One idea I had for a Star Trek RPG was set near the Hekaras Corridor. The crew is sent there to chart the subspace rift that formed, measuring its expansion, and adjusting travel charts to adjust. Then a Borg Cube shows up. It scans the rift, and sendsa message to the PC ship to copy over all data the Starfleet ship has on the rift, along with a time limit. If they resist, the Borg ship defends itself, taking parts out of the PC ship (and replacement crew) while sending over drones to hack into the computers and get the data. After the data is gathered, and sufficient repair materials/crew is acquired, the Borg leave the Federation ship. he Borg ship deploys a sphere to continue scanning the rift, and after some time, the Borg ship sets a course for Hekaras II. Once it is within comms range of the planet it tells the planet to copy all data concerning the rift to the Borg ship (and a longer timeframe due to more data is expected). Attempts to use computer virii in the data will be unsuccessful. Once the Borg ship has the data (peacefully or not), it returns to the rift.

Back at the rift the Sphere is recalled, and the Borg cube stops its scanning. It then launches the Sphere again, but when the Sphere gets near the rift it separates into smaller components that surround the rift. The components shrink, and the PCs get to see the subspace rift shrinking as well. Soon the Sphere has returned to its original configuration, and the subspace rift is gone. This was never a Borg invasion. It was a road crew fixing a pothole.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I love the ideas of character rotation with the actor playing masked Aliens. Be a little like Game of Thrones where anyone can die.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I love the ideas of character rotation with the actor playing masked Aliens. Be a little like Game of Thrones where anyone can die.
Personally I'd throw this in with the ship being damaged for episodes after a major battle or event.

As in everytjing has consequences.

DS9 does have this. ENT played alittle with it too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Regarding this I think it is much more present in ENT than DS9
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:Regarding this I think it is much more present in ENT than DS9
DS9 is the only show to have destroyed a ship even if the new one shared the same NCC because of the reuse of older shoot...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote: DS9 is the only show to have destroyed a ship even if the new one shared the same NCC because of the reuse of older shoot...
I meant more than anything else about the ship's damage, and Azati Prime's follow-ups were a first time in Star Trek, previously the ship was almost always regularly repaired for the new episode, the Voyager cases are then exemplary.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I like the idea of character rotation, with the actor staying on to play masked aliens. Also, the ship's damage not being reset each episode.

Also, the no holograms episodes.

I would also agree with the no-prequels, if only they would go with that.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."