So I was just thinking...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Bring back anyone other than Tate.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

The Dr Who episode best regarded by viewers and critics seems to be Blink, the "non Doctor" episode centred around Sally Sparrow, a character who has TARDIS companion written all over her.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that was a great episode, despite the fact that the enemies made no sense. Gotta say, it was actualy fairly spooky.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Indeed - in the old days both her and her mate would have been added to the crew. Instead we had to put up with Martha bloody Jones.

That episode was by far the best of the new series, and the first time I've felt the old dive-behind-the-sofa urge return.

By the by does anyone else recon it's worth asking Graham or Ian to punt this thread into the Doctor Who forum?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Instead we had to put up with Martha bloody Jones.
What was wrong with Martha? Granted, she didn't seem to do......well, anything usefull, but she wasn't that bad, IMO.
That episode was by far the best of the new series, and the first time I've felt the old dive-behind-the-sofa urge return.
I feel no shame in admitting I splept with the light on that night. :lol:
By the by does anyone else recon it's worth asking Graham or Ian to punt this thread into the Doctor Who forum?
Given that there is precisely one post related to Trek, I'd say it's worth moving. :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:What was wrong with Martha? Granted, she didn't seem to do......well, anything usefull, but she wasn't that bad, IMO.
The fact that she did sod-all was part of the problem. Her continuous panicking and looking to the Doctor for advice when she was meant to be an almost-qualified MD was more of it. The bulk of the problem was her mooning over the Doctor like a love-struck teenager after she'd known him all of a few days. The fact that she had all the subtlety of a frying pan round the head didn't help. At least Rose had the excuse that she was a teenager, and had known the Doctr for some time by the end of her tenure.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
Come to think of it, I hardly remember Martha at all. :?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Enkidu wrote:The Dr Who episode best regarded by viewers and critics seems to be Blink, the "non Doctor" episode centred around Sally Sparrow, a character who has TARDIS companion written all over her.
Sally Sparrow indeed needs to be a companion. Theres a group on facebook devoted to it :)

She had brains, and would stand up to the Doctor unlike Martha.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, she seemed pretty comptetant. Aside from the part where she went back into the Angel's house for no reason, that is.
Merlin
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Merlin »

In The Also People, the Doctor explains to Roz why he needs companions - the dragon has to have the little boy, there has to be someone to save the universe for. Otherwise, what's the point?

And that's what they tried to do with Martha Jones - except it clashed so horribly with her backstory. It's fine for Rose or Susan (remember her?) or someone to go "Save us, Doctor!" but someone who's as supposedly tough and intelligent as Martha needed to be a little more independent.

I miss companions like Leela - utterly competant in their own field, but reliant on the Doctor for everything else.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Merlin wrote:I miss companions like Leela - utterly competant in their own field, but reliant on the Doctor for everything else.
Or Ace for that matter - they had the separation of duties off pat there. The Doctor provided the brainpower, Ace provided the firepower (and then some!)
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Tate is as funny as that Little Miss Jocelyn.

Yes, that irritating.
Merlin
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Merlin »

[Ace throws nitronine]

BOOM!

Ace: Brutal!

Ahh...the good old days...

And am I the only one who can't help but wait for the following exchange...

Doctor: We have to [insert suicidal action here] or thousands will die!
Tate: Bovvered?

It's like when Patrick Stewart did A Christmas Carol - I spent two hours waiting for the set to shake and Stewart to go "Bridge, report!"
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I say bring back Billie Piper, in her Diary of a Call Girl outfits.

Seriously, she was quite good in Dalek.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bring back Romana II. Have it be revealed she's Susan Foreman's grandmother. 8)
Last edited by RK_Striker_JK_5 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.