Bridge Commander - 23rd century

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Bridge Commander - 23rd century

Post by Meste17 »

I have played the game Star Trek Bridge Commander and I must say it engaged quite well in keeping me interested in playing it again and again.

I would hope that they would do a sort of extension to the game like they did with StarCraft and attempt to build a 23rd century storyline that answers the following questions:

1. What would the storyline be in the 23rd century?
2. What would be your ship in said century? Constitution (both original and/or refit), Excelsior, Constellation, Miranda (again, both original and refit), or any other types of vessels seen in that era?
3. Who would be the enemy you face? The Klingons?
4. What specific year? As the original game was set in 2378.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Bridge Commander - 23rd century

Post by Atekimogus »

I loved Bridge Commander but it had one big flaw.....as soon as the story-campaign was over it couldn't keep my interest. The reason being that the space battles itself just were not interesting and complex enough.

It seems as soon as they try to make a "realistic" space battle game with 3d movement they fail miseralby. Maneuvering becomes irrelevant, you go through the same routines all the time and the outcome is identical.

BY FAR the best Star Trek Space combat "simulator" is the Starfleet Command series. (well..the first two at least). I remember before the game came out I got a hold on a demo-version back then...you could only play ONE custom mission where you start out in a damaged Constition Class ...you needed to go to a miranda class ship, beam over repair parts, start repairing while a D7 starts to engage you. It was fantastic....one mission, never plays out exactly the same way, incredibly challenging....

Now one "critique" was that it was not a beginner friendly game, too many option...too many buttons to press...too complex...etc.... but that was exactly what made it interesting. For some reason, as soon as we move to the TNG era....they all developed into basically point and click shoot em up games, no tactic invovled at all.

Bridge Commander and Starfleet Command III were the prime offenders. They are just too easy, no energy management needed anymore....the pinacle of tactical decisionmaking you needed to do was what sub-sytem to target on an enemy vessel. I found it incredibly boring.

I would give something for a proper new Starfleet Command game.....the whole setup of the game would lend itself so well to a Warthunder or World of Tanks/Warships type of game.....shame there is no audience for that anymore. But even if there is enough people to play it to make it viable...the licence costs alone would probably make it unfeasable.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Bridge Commander - 23rd century

Post by Meste17 »

I would agree but some problems:
1. I never played Starfleet command
2. This still doesn't answer any of the questions above