its the size that matters

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

its the size that matters

Post by Meste17 »

Which planet in the Federation would have the largest colony, the New York of colonies (as New York has been known to be the largest city in the country, though I MIGHT be mistaken LOL)?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: its the size that matters

Post by McAvoy »

Planet Wibbly of Wobbly System.

Seriously, it's simple we don't know. There have been references to heavily populated systems but we don't know which one would be the most populated.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Trek colony worlds don't seem to be heavily populated on average, which I guess makes sense since most of them are only a couple of centuries old.

The most populated I know of is Deneva, which has a population of "almost a million".
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I'd like to see a Star Trek system that went arcology style from this video, with a population of ~1 trillion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqKQ94DtS54 (~17 minutes)

Short version:
Key requirements are cheap construction, compact high-efficiency power supply, and advanced robotics
Controlled light, humidity, and nutrient content allow greenhouses to produce lots of food
Need to solve the Elevator conundrum (where taller buildings need more surface area devoted to elevators)

Example Arcology
100 stories tall, 800 feet wide cylinder, 10,000 square feet per person (including living space, farms, malls, elevators, etc), 50 feet-stories of outside window per person, unless you need the outside surface for growing more food (grape vines for curtains?
Each will have a population of ~5000 (Dunbar's number)

Figure one of these every 2-3 miles of coastline to allow for water cooling, and the rest of the continental interior is left natural.

First Contact:
Fed Diplomat: "Welcome to the Federation, we are a multi-species interstellar government with 1 trillion members."

"Hi, we're Gatharis, a single planet with 1 Trillion people"

Fed Diplomat: :shock:
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)