Original Kirk Death

Trek Books, Games and General chat
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Original Kirk Death

Post by T'Pau »

Do you believe that Kirk deserved a more glorified or heroic death?

If so, how would you have done the deed?
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Original Kirk Death

Post by Mikey »

There’s nothing glorious or heroic about death.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

T'Pau wrote:Do you believe that Kirk deserved a more glorified or heroic death?

If so, how would you have done the deed?
What we got was better than the original script, certainly. But it was rather lacking.

Not sure what I would do differently, though. Spock's death is probably the best one we ever got in Trek, both in terms of how the scene was written and acted and how it tied in to his arc in the movie and the plot generally. I think the problem with Kirk's death is that it really didn't have a decisive effect. Spock sacrificed his life to save the Enterprise, and his action was taken knowing it would mean his death, and knowing that it would directly save the ship and crew.

Kirk's death fails both of those tests. For one he doesn't actually choose to sacrifice himself; they kind of try to imply that he does, but really he must have been hoping he could grab the controller and then get off the bridge. So his death was an accident, not a sacrifice.

And for another, his action doesn't actually save the day, but gives Picard a chance to save the day. I guess you could argue that Spock didn't save the ship, he just fixed the engines so that Kirk (or Sulu!) could fly it out and save the ship. But it seems to me that Spock's contribution to the solution was far greater than Kirk, who just gave an order, or Sulu, who just pushed a button.

Kirk is kind of in the middle. Yes, it was vital that the missile be decloaked. But on the other hand, Picard had to do a bit more than snap an order or push a button in front of him. To me, it dilutes Kirk's action.

So I guess the solution would be for the plot to leave Picard standing by helplessly whilst Kirk directly saves the day somehow, deliberately sacrificing himself in the process. But then you risk not serving Picard's character, either.

Basically, rewrite the whole movie... :D
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:And for another, his action doesn't actually save the day, but gives Picard a chance to save the day...
Kirk is kind of in the middle. Yes, it was vital that the missile be decloaked. But on the other hand, Picard had to do a bit more than snap an order or push a button in front of him. To me, it dilutes Kirk's action.
This aspect of it, I think, was good - making Kirk's actions essential, but not decisive. It is, after all, a TNG film we're talking about.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Kirks death should have been like the Enterprise C. Sacrifice that stops a war and in honored yeras later.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Make it ambiguous. I dunno how in the context of the final scene of Generations. But as graham said, rewrite the whole movie!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

After all the emphasis in Star Trek V about Kirk somehow knowing he'd always die alone, I would like to have seen that pan out somehow.

As far as being celebrated afterwards, has there been any Star Fleet ship named after a Star Trek character to date? I'm a bit fuzzy on those kind of details.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

T'Pau wrote:As far as being celebrated afterwards, has there been any Star Fleet ship named after a Star Trek character to date? I'm a bit fuzzy on those kind of details.
There's been an Excelsior-class USS Gorkon, and one of the ships lost at Wolf 359 was the USS Chekhov, although there's some dispute over whether that one was named after Pavel or Anton.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Talondor »

T'Pau wrote:After all the emphasis in Star Trek V about Kirk somehow knowing he'd always die alone, I would like to have seen that pan out somehow.
In a way he was alone, as he was alone on the lower decks when the nexus hit and pulled him in.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
T'Pau wrote:As far as being celebrated afterwards, has there been any Star Fleet ship named after a Star Trek character to date? I'm a bit fuzzy on those kind of details.
There's been an Excelsior-class USS Gorkon, and one of the ships lost at Wolf 359 was the USS Chekhov, although there's some dispute over whether that one was named after Pavel or Anton.
Additionally, there was a USS Shran mentioned in the DSC pilot.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Thanks everyone, for the info about the Trek character named ships.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
It can’t be Pavel, his name is spelled without the second “h.”
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer